• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon TV Anime's 1st Promo Video Shows Ash in School & Battle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well not only does Satoshi/Ash look different in the promotional picture, the transition in his appearance from the XYZ anime to this is extremely jarring. Then again, I stopped watching the Pokemon anime somewhere in the Johto portion of it when I was a kid, so I could probably careless to be honest. It's still a really weird thing to see at my age. So why is he traveling to this new region again? They don't have schools in the Kalos region? They don't have a school back in Pallet Town? Rolling Eyes Oh right, it's just a cash grab show first and foremost designed to sell merchandise for the kiddies. Not that I'm saying a cash cow can't also tell a good story and be enjoyable to watch of course.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Is this confirmed to just be a continuation of the pokemon anime? The fluid animation and new designs scream 50~ episode (or less) series to me, not to mention the premise seems like an excuse to tackle school anime tropes under the pokemon mantle. Feels like the inverse of Digimon Tri, attempting to grab a slightly older audience but not through pure nostalgia, especially considering Pokemon is definitely losing ground amongst Japanese kids thanks to Yokai Watch
COLEWORLD702

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
haven't you people noticed that when character designs are simplified the animation tends to be more fluid and dynamic? urghh its a trend that been going for a long time now... naruto is one big example (when they have guest animators like norio matsumoto, anyway) i don't expect the whole series to look like this thou... i hate it when people say "the animation looks horrible" when in fact they're just referring to the character designs because this looks pretty good in fact.
yup exactly what I have noticed art is sacrificed for fluid animation and character models are altered to fit the animators style
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Reading some comments....

First of all, people always cry about Ash saying that the anime should stop focusing on him and blah blah blah, but when the design changes a bit.....OH MY GOD WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO ASH? I'M DONE, I WANT THE POKEMON ANIME TO DIE AND BURN!!!!!!11!!!!!11!!!!!!!111!!!

Seriously, people are judging the entire series that not even started because Ash's looks a bit different Rolling Eyes
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

I just really hate when any show seemingly makes a protagonist goofier to try and be a hit with young kids.

They screwed up Ben 10 doing this.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
After the bland and disappointing Diamond & Pearl and Black/White, XY was actuallu pretty good, and had some gorgeous animation, not to mention an actual plot and a somewhat matured Ash.

Wait, what? Though I agree with your assumptions of BW and XY, DP was the best Pokémon series until XY. It had great balance between Gyms and Contests with spotlight given to both main characters, with both getting significant character development (too bad Ash's was lost in BW), the best rival so far (not even Gary was as great rival for Ash as Paul ever was) and great villain team to spice things up. Definitely the exact opposite of bland and disappointing for me. The only problem I have with DP was Brock, doing pretty much nothing there. Truth is, that was always his problem, but in DP, where they similarly concentrated on both Ash and Dawn, this was even worse. But overall, DP was great series and I would definitely like to see some of its elements (especially the fact that Ash is not the only main hero) in Pokémon anime again.

malvarez1 wrote:
This seems like a step back in the same way Black and White was...a less mature Ash, a goofier tone, etc. What, did people complain that XY was too serious? Sigh.

I just really hate when any show seemingly makes a protagonist goofier to try and be a hit with young kids.

Here, I couldn't agree more. The problem however is, that XY and XYZ had the lowest ratings in history of Pokémon anime in Japan and things weren't much better outside of Japan either. It unfortunately really seems now that target audience doen't want Pokémon anime to be too serious, which is shame.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

They screwed up Ben 10 doing this.

Hey, Omniverse wasn't that bad, (though Ben could've been less of a goof though, I will agree on that).

The thing is, Sun and Moon's anime could be even better than XY, but after that Finals incident, there's probably not going to be a lot forgiving fans. Not many gave a chance to XY initially after BW, though it eventually won back people. (In the West, the ratings still declined in Japan.)

The most surprising aspect, that after the Finals, the ratings have actually
improved in Japan, despite outrage from both sides of the Pacific. Granted, it's climax to the XY anime, and it's only been a couple of weeks; but who knows.
takiko1999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... Ash looks positively retarded in that poster. Those poses are so idiotic...

I agree. Is it me or Ash looks like Luffy from One Piece in the new seasons design? Wink
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the whole idea of a Pokemon school contradictory to that whole season one episode where Ash and his friends were bashing those kids who went to that Pokemon Tech school? They even called them cheaters at one point.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
That's long in past and most people who worked on the show back then, including writers, aren't with the show anymore. Actually, the whole writing team was changed for BW, which backfired on the anime in the long course Sad
sakurablossom729

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I will admit ash going to school, i like it, it gives it a different twist/story then going around battling and collecting badges, but the animation on ash just him is not right, I mean first they change for BW like his eyes and now idk everything changed and he looks and seems to act younger then the past ones.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God, his new character design is UGLY AS SIN!
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Actually, the whole writing team was changed for BW, which backfired on the anime in the long course Sad

This is incorrect. A few writers have been added, and the former head writer, who also wrote the first movie, has passed away, but the team has remained remarkably the same. It's probably less noticeable because the Kanto are so concise and later regions have more "filler", but you could probably throw a dart at your favorite Kanto episode, look up the writer, and he or she still writes on the show almost 20 years later. The guy who wrote the infamous Rice Balls=Jelly Donuts episode was promoted to head writer around DP.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm not really liking Ash's new character design I'm still going to give this new Pokémon series a try for atleast a few episodes anyway. Who knows it might actually turn out to be good. Smile
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
This is a jarring change, sure, but the Pokemon anime has basically been doing the exact same stories over and over again for 19 years. Sending Ash to school means the old formula is out the window; if he's a student, he can't travel around and run into Team Rocket every week. It looks like this is an attempt to shake things up, and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Also Ash has always been a gigantic dope, so him posing like one in a poster seems pretty in character to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6