• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is Re:Zero a hit? Why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

I never watched Log Horizon so I couldn't abandon it. I'm not a gamer so the concept of "trapped in the game" has no appeal for me. I don't find it repugnant, just not interesting. I wasn't aware that Re:Life was part of that genre until this thread.

I saw meiam's comment or someone's similar before I quit following the thread on this show. I thought it rather silly, but I don't remember if I commented on it or not.

@louis6578

With all due respect, this is not one of the primary threads concerning the show. The issue here is its popularity or, in my case, lack thereof. I'm not commenting on the show itself, just on the reason I find it unwatchable. There is entirely too much anime available to spend time watching something just to prove that it makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm honestly surprised at the number of responses I've gotten. Support for a show does not have to be universal.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:03 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I recommend you see it even if it's just to say "I saw it and it greatly discomforted me."

If he was discussing the merits of the show then I agree that he would be obligated to force himself to endure some discomfort in order to earn that right, but he is not talking about the show he is talking about why he is not watching the show.
There is so much anime in existence, with more being made every day, that it would be foolish for anybody to deliberately watch something that he has reason to believe he will not like, unless he needs to watch it so that he can write a review or something like that.

I also have no intention of watching Re:Zero because everything that I have read about it tells me that it is not right for me.
Looking at the genre and themes in the encyclopedia I see horror, psychological, death, gore, tragedy. Those are all red flags for me and represent the opposite of what I want from anime.

It might be a great show and the things that cause me to avoid it might be the things that make it popular, but it is just not my kind of anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Here's my take on resolving the apparently unfortunate dilemma of time travel and parallel timelines from the point of view of everyone except Subaru. So Alan suggested that when Subaru dies, the people in the timeline where he died continue in their tragedies such as the Ram whospoiler[ no longer has a sister]. I don't think that is the case. I don't like the parallel timeline theory at all.

But then does that means that the entire world in each of the timelines that Subaru died in must cease to exist, therefore they all die at that moment too? No. It's only their memories that are removed from existence. No matter how many times Subaru dies there is only one Ram, one Emily and one timeline. From the point of view of the world's inhabitants, the only memories that exist are those from the time individuals are born up through the moment Subaru appeared in the world and up to the point in time he dies or is freed from the Return by Death curse.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
@Past

My take on what happened when Subaru dies was based on some speculation by early posters in the main thread and a misunderstanding of the subtitle. I some how got the impression that the story took place in the real world and that he went to a different parallel world with each death. I've been corrected on that point. Embarassed

My take on time travel is that since it doesn't exist (that we know of) you can make any rules you want. People will try to use logic and say that the only method is X. If you are writing a story and you want to have three versions of the same person arguing with each other, have at it. If the paradoxes of something like that bother you then structure it your way.

In the case of an existing work like this, any interpretation that is consistent with what the author presents is fine also. If, as has been said above, this works like a game where the main character reverts to a "save point", then the simplest thing would be to have as much of the world as the MC effects roll back and start over as if it never happened. With this only the MC remembers the lost past. No lost world, no lost characters just one poor SOB with a curse.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I think Re:Zero is a hit. It's probably popular enough to demand a second season when enough LN material has been written.

I wouldn't know where to put it in terms of wide appeal. I think Attack on Titan will continue to be more popular and I don't see it become something grand along the lines of DBZ or Pokemon. I think that on one hand, it has a bit too many elements of NEETs and game worlds (that may not appeal to some more mainstream audiences) and on the other hand: it's psychologically quite deep or bloody/black in some places. Not for everyone either.
Since the quality is quite high (IMO), I do think it will do quite well.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want to know why a dark show like this took off even though you personally do not like dark shows, let it be known that this following statement does not just apply to anime, but fiction in general.

"Edge sells."

The edgier, gorier, and more hardcore a work is, the more people will want to see it out of morbid curiosity. That's why Yanderes are such a hot thing. That's why Future Diary, one of the worst anime I've completed, has garnered such popularity. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that it's why a lot of people watched Hellsing.

A lot of the people who watch Re:Zero will probably come because it seems edgy and stay because it's a genuinely great show. Internet reviewers and friends praising it as a must-see will get those less-inclined to watch it. That's how it became a hit. Without being a genuinely good show, the characters dying over and over would have brought an audience on its own. To say why this is a good show and not just edge and gore for the sake of it, compare this and Steins;Gate to Higurashi. Higurashi is popular already even though it's not particularly deep or emotionally engaging. Re:Zero, however, adds some layers to that already pandering concept.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
You´ve got a point there. Though Alan would be one of the people who doesn´t fit in this mold (there are always enough exceptions to the rule), I do like some action, gore and suspense.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
^

Exactly. A lot of misguided people have the misguided belief that gore=mature and deep story. If you like a show with gore and horror, you must be into the mature stuff. (Of course this isn't true. Monster, Fate/Zero, and Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 are some of the best pieces of storytelling in anime, yet lack any real graphic content onscreen.)

Now, thankfully, Re:Zero doesn't have gore just for the sake of being edgy. And the horror it has isn't just to be exploitative. No, no. It's to show that DYING is not a pretty thing even when you can respawn without (physical) consequence.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
"Edge sells."
And so does sex, but it seems that whenever you don't go with the sex route, you'll undoubtedly have take the edgy route to qualify as a hit. I find lots of enjoyment in many slice-of-life shows and anime really has a reputation for creating things that fuel interest for a lot of fans without depending on edge or the sex. Will there be that breakthrough slice-of-life series someday that can be considered a hit? Who knows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2