• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Survey Asks Fans Which Showa-Era Anime They Want to Reboot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a remake of the Rose of Versailles that condensed the story into 25-26 episodes. I consider the anime we got great, but its first half is bloated and feels too long; the second half is way better paced and written. Updated visuals would also be cool.

A similar remake of Space Pirate Captain Harlock would also be welcomed by me.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
For once I agree with the number one spot. As long as they don't make the train itself crappy CGI (decent CGI that blends well is okay), I'm game.

Hypothetically of course.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Well the first Macross remade just so see Minmay really sing
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
If they reboot Galaxy Express 999, I'm so there! I've been grabbing every 999/Harlock related thing released in NA with the exception of the horrible 999 release from S'more. So a new version of 999 would be great.

Also if it did well, maybe they'd actually continue the story? Eternal Fantasy ends with a "The Conclusion Comes in 1999" and it still hasn't happened yet.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I think a new Fist of the North Star anime would awesome with less filler and brand new animation. Newer anime fans should love it with the recent success of Jojo and Mad Max 4.

With Cobra, we had Cobra: The Animation a while back. I guess no one bother to watch it when it came out.
gavv71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure of a 'Macross the First' treatment, but my friends and I definitely think Macross would be a good candidate for a 'Yamato 2199'-style treatment, if not a shot for shot remake Smile.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
If they reboot Galaxy Express 999, I'm so there! I've been grabbing every 999/Harlock related thing released in NA with the exception of the horrible 999 release from S'more. So a new version of 999 would be great.

Galaxy Railways, Galaxy Express: Eternal Story...When HAVEN'T we gotten a GE999 reboot?
Matsumoto series tend to be revived/rebooted/spun-off within inches of their lives for decades...And that's leaving aside all the Captain Harlock mutations.

I'm not sure you COULD do a Sherlock Hound reboot without a Lupin-era Miyazaki (the temptation to turn it into a running canine Case Closed would be too great), as the show was only okay once Hayao left, but it's the best idea on the list.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Showa anime/manga I want to be see rebooted:

3x3 Eyes - While the anime came out in the Hesiei era (The manga was released in 1987), I would like to see a anime that covers the full manga from start to finish,

Baoh - A animated movie that adapted the full two manga volumes and improves on some of the flaws of the original could be awesome.

Bubblegum Crisis - We had the 2040 TV series but that was 15-18 years ago. I think a new one would be cool.

Dominion Tank Police - People seem to forget about Dominion Tank Police while Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed are still being rebooted and adapted today. I feel like DTP can easily fit well with today's themes.

Devilman - I want a anime adaption that covers the full manga. The OVA's from the late 80's was never compete. I won't mind if they change some of the character designs if the story is still faithful and adapted well similar how Guyver 2005 and Parasyte was. They will likely tone down the violence, but I'm okay with that as long if we uncut home video releases.

Kinnikuman - With the new manga running, I would like to see Toei or another studio bring back this classic.

Jushin Liger - A forgotten Go Nagai series.

Ranma 1/2 - While the anime came out in the Hesiei era (the manga also came out in the late 1980's), I would like to see a new anime that covers the full manga.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
As someone who considers the Galaxy Express 999 series one of the absolute best anime ever made, I don't really think a remake is necessary. The fact that it is grounded in the seventies Matsumoto aesthetic is part of what makes it so interesting. It is certainly one of the defining moment of that time period.

However, I can still picture a remake. If anything, it would be nice to see some updated animation, but at this point I think it would be good to get some new character designs because at least it would feel like its adding a little more to the franchise in terms of visual concept (and because Matsumoto's character designs are limited to say the least).

Other than that, it might work if it's a shortened version of the original series, maybe playing like a newly painted "best of" compilation that could go into a different ending (although this is an idea I would rather have for a new Urusei Yatsura series, where the last several episodes retell the Beautiful Dreamer story).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
An Anime reboot can be good so long as it's done right and if it's done right then I would love to see a Galaxy Express 999 or Captain Harlock Anime reboot. Smile
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
We had the CG Captain Harlock film from a couple years ago and there was the 13 OVA episode series from Mad House (Which I think holds up fine). I still like to see a new Bastard!! anime (The manga was first publish in 1988, barely making it Showa) seeing that the old anime adaption was only 6 episodes. Bastard is like D&D meets Jojo, I think it could be a big hit with today's audience.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
This is MY list in no particular order.

1. Ogon Bat (before Overlord, the first superhero and undead main character, what there is not to love?) . http://youtu.be/VZpq3eWw6Y8
2. Ninpū Kamui Gaiden (Classic ninjas before the age of naruto) http://youtu.be/2V4POd1JZlw
3. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind <--- I want a friggin TV series that covers ALL the manga, not a movie that barely covers the beginning
4. Dirty Pair. Need I say anything? http://youtu.be/pTMe1vhUxh0
5. Bubblegum Crisis.
6. Ranma 1/2. I think they should at least finish adapting the manga (and maybe give it an acceptable ending since the manga had none).
7. Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. There have been talks of a reboot for years. http://youtu.be/tjuN5Bn-RCo
8. Bastard!!
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
6. Ranma 1/2. I think they should at least finish adapting the manga (and maybe give it an acceptable ending since the manga had none).

Yeah! Same here! With most of the original cast. Especially Megumi Hayashibara. Love her.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there supposed to be a live action Galaxy Express 999 coming out this year or the next?

Must've dropped into development hell.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
None of them. How about adapting good stories that weren't made into anime? Or original stories? Parasyte was a good example... it's still nostalgia bating but at least it wasn't on the level of "Hey, remember Star Wars/Jurassic Park/Godzilla/ et cetera?"

But space trains? Not even space monorails or space subways, they're steam locomotives. Matsumoto has some obvious fetishes that I never quite got, like long, narrow faces with blond hair and steam powered engines. Surely we need more of that?

Quote:
People in their teens and 20s were the top respondents with about 30% of the vote, followed by people in their 40s with about 20%.

OK, I'm actually impressed by this part. Also explains who would think we need more Dragon Ball rather than less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4