• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
@paiprince Bordering on it you say? Very Happy (not the BS part) Subtext my friend

ReLife definitely is better than its absence would suggest though. If it had streamed weekly and was picked up for review, I think it would have done fairly well, even in this fairly competitive season. And while New Game didn't get much recognition from the reviewers in this feature, it did fairly well in the rankings so the fans at least were of similar mind to you.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Most anime I watch as 2 video halves so I watch an episode in half the time. I often don't pay attention to the overall story. That said, 91 Days is definitely a series I enjoyed watching. This is because it has the Baccano feel to it and I kind of like gangster stories.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
I didn't loathe Bananya - it was simply the worst thing I watched to completion this season and it annoyed me. I didn't feel comfortable naming a series I hadn't finished watching because goodness knows I've had my mind changed by a series' subsequent episodes before. Smile

Back to my Re:Zero [over]interpretation, I think Subaru calls himself an otaku at one point during the White Whale episodes. Regardless, we do know he's a gamer, which would be spoiler[an appealing trait to the witch if she was looking for a protector for her daughter. My sister chimes in that she felt that Subaru was forced to fall for Emilia (love at first sight, basically) while he fell for Rem on his own; if she's right, that will be an interesting sign of the witch's power if he can overcome it.]
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Seems like a lot of people went into Battery expecting... well, I don't know what, I don't normally watch sports anime-- exciting sports action, maybe? I knew from the start it would be a quiet show, focusing on the boys' relationship (I've seen the drama based on the same novel), so it was *exactly* what I was expecting and I enjoyed it.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was here at ANN even) that the author also wrote the novel No.6 is based on, so the BL under(?)tones are probably no accident.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 am Reply with quote
Clearly a lot of love for Mob Psycho 100. I only lasted about 1 and a half episodes and just couldn't. I loved One Punch Man, but I just didn't jell with what I saw of MP100. Maybe I should give it another chance but I really don't want to. Re:Zero is another I'm offside on. Made it to about episode 10 and then realized I had absolutely zero interest in seeing it through.

It wasn't a standout season for me, but I did enjoy ReLife, Berserk, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable, New Game! and This Art Club Has a Problem!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Plus, while I still really liked it, the second half of Re:Zero didn't impress me quite as much as the first. I still find it fascinating how drastically varied people's opinions on Subaru are though. I'd say he's even more controversial a character than Shinji Ikari.

Even though I have drawn the Shinji/Subaru comparison myself, this series is going to need a few more years of vetting before Subaru can even approach Shinji's level of divisiveness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Clearly a lot of love for Mob Psycho 100. I only lasted about 1 and a half episodes and just couldn't. I loved One Punch Man, but I just didn't jell with what I saw of MP100. Maybe I should give it another chance but I really don't want to.

I really think you should dude. I think it's widely agreed that the first two episodes are the show's weakest (even if I still enjoyed them). I personally was sold on the show after watching episode 3, as I felt it added so much more weight and understanding to the motivation behind Mob's character, but I think continuing until episode 5 is what really solidifies it as a top-tier show that really knows what it's doing.

Key wrote:
Even though I have drawn the Shinji/Subaru comparison myself, this series is going to need a few more years of vetting before Subaru can even approach Shinji's level of divisiveness.

Oh, for sure. I was just kind of spit-balling with that one.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Best shows: Zesteria for the pretty, Mononokean for the warm and fuzzy
Runner up: Alderamin for the lazy speech
Worst: First love monster for stupid humor
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
my worst were
Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia
with Ange Vierge a close second

my top one with possible next
Shokugeki no Soma Second plate unlike many i did find the pacing to be fine and honestly could not wait for the 13th episode to see the result of his cooking.
Re:Zero i have not finished this one yet (work 7 days a week supporting 8 people and time can be short). so far i have enjoyed the series and hope to finish catching up over the next couple of days
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed one incredible season if an LN adaption is being praised this highly. I had written off Re:Zero as yet another isekai fantasy LN and pretty much didn't watch anything this season. I missed a lot huh.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I must have missed one incredible season if an LN adaption is being praised this highly. I had written off Re:Zero as yet another isekai fantasy LN and pretty much didn't watch anything this season. I missed a lot huh.

The Author, Tappei Nagatsuki, Hates most modern Light Novels and the anime industry as a whole. This is made all the more obvious with the massive plot twist ending of Arc 3 (Which wasn't shown in the anime, as it probably make anime sales drop to less then nothing in a heartbeat from Otaku audiences, and is likely being saved as the opener for the next season) that was so negatively reviewed by general otaku audiences that the series itself was lambasted on its original Narou website page. Its very similar to how Hideaki Anno got death threats from Otaku's due to the way evangelion episode 25 and 26 ended.

Nagatsuki sensei even anticipated it, and in fact, made the LN version of arc 3's finale even more painful then the original Web Novel version just to make it clear that this is not the Traditional Isekai series or even Sekai-ki series in the same way Evangelion wasn't a traditional Mecha series or Madoka Magica not being a Traditional Magical Girl Series.

Last edited by AsuraTheDestructor on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll be. I might have to actually sit down and watch through this series then. Is it getting another cour?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Im a bit split on my best for the season. In terms of quality, i would put Alderamin and Sweetness as my top choices. Alderamin was a complex, well planned and mature war series that felt very difderent from most of the light novel adaptations we get. Sweetness was cute, relaxing and a lot of fun , and Tsumugi was a joy to watch. In terms of enjoyment though I'd put Macross Delta at the top, followed by New Game. Delta felt like a less goofy version of Aquarion Evol, one of my favorite animes of all time, so it quickly clicked with me. Not to mention having some really good music. New Game was a simple but cute slice of life, and i loved the mix of character interactions and small video game industry tidbits. And it was cool seeing about making an rpg rather than visual novels like in most other anime.

I dont have a worst though. I enjoyed pretty much everything i watched this season (the above 4 plus Momokuri and Art Club has a Problem). I didn't get past epsiode 1 of Mob Psycho and Love Live but i can't consider the worst. Overall i enjoyed this season.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Well I'll be. I might have to actually sit down and watch through this series then. Is it getting another cour?

It's been selling like crazy and the original author wants to see the whole story animated once he's done writing it. It could be possible in the coming years, and Arc 4 was written in the original web novel in a way to allow it easily be published in LN form, and a new LN in japan every month now seems likely to happen, making the chances of the anime continuing soon very likely.

The original source is on Arc 6, around halfway through the story.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Best of the season: Thunderbolt Fantasy
Loved every goddamn minute of this wuxia style puppet insanity. Unique, stylish, fun fantasy adventure show with some Urobochi-san's flavour added. Excited for the second season!

Runner-up: 91 Days
Putting aside technical aspects (like janky animation and weird design inconsistency) it's a pretty solid, straightforward revenge story. Predictable, but pleasant.

Jojo is still as good as it is bizarre. Frankly, some of the episodes were quite boring, but the introduction of the main villain spiced things up pretty nicely.

For some reason I just didn't feel like watching Mob Psycho 100 even though it looks amazing. I guess visual element is the only thing that really interests me in this case. Eh, one day...

???: Re:Zero... Ehhh I'm just gonna wait it out on this one. I need to see how it ends before making any strong statements.

Worst: Life of a Fudanshi. Nuff said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8