• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Best: ReZero

(the most exciting anime I have seen since the first arcs of SAO or Shingeki no Kyojin)

Runner-Up: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K (not usually a fan of gag-manga, and I was not a fan of Sakamoto, but I always get a good laugh out of this anime)

Honorable Mention: 91 Days

(Didn't reach the heights I hoped for after the amazing first episode, but still a good anime)

Worst: Days or Battery

(Due to failing to keep up the excellent track record of Sports anime in recent seasons, in Diamond no Ace, Haikyuu!!, Baby Steps etc. Both were full of promise, but ran dry and boring very fast.)
Junko666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched that many this season so this list didn't take me long to decide.

Best this season: Re:Zero Nothing else to add here when others would have already expressed my opinion on this show.

Runner-Up: Tales of Zestria the X This is the story that should have been in the game. Alisha actually plays a much bigger role in the anime. Edna's character is just as entertaining as she was in the game. The animation is mind-blowing. Overall I'm impressed, its a lot better than I was expecting it to be.

Most disappointing show: Danganronpa 3 Make no mistake, I still enjoyed this series, however with what could have been AOTS or even AOTY, it went in a direction that left me utterly disappointed. The mastermind spoiler[Tengen's reasons for the killing game was really dumb and making a wimpy character like Mitarai the final boss of the series leaves me completely uninspired about the finale unlike the previous games where I was on the edge of my seat during the climax.] Thankfully however spoiler[Junko Enoshima the main antagonist of the series stole the show for me and all the scenes she were in were vastly entertaining.]

Worst show: Quality Code The plot was alright and the characters had some funny quirks but the animation for this show was so poor that it made what could have been a wild enjoyable ride, rather cringe-worthy to watch. I'm not normally the type to criticise this, so this is saying a lot.

Runner-up Worst: spoiler[Taboo Tattoo] This is only higher than Quality Code because for me this show was so bad it was good. For example When spoiler[Touko died I actually laughed at how ridiculous it was.]
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
#RoseWolf777 wrote:
I just hope,really and greatly hope that Yuri on Ice does NOT end up like Free! I would love to watch it without having certain content that's being constantly being shoved down my throat.EVERY.DAY. -__-

I'm probably going to be hated or be called many names among other things,but this is my personal opinion and preference.

I'm with you on this one. I have no probs with content like what you're refering too; it's when its shoved in my face at every opportunity, that's when I tune out. IMO.

I started watching about seven shows this season, but it quickly dwindled down and I ended up only watching three weekly, with a few more that I eventually binged and caught up too for the last episode. And no, I have not seen all of Re:Zero, and I did not watch Mob Psycho 100. I might as well start bracing for haters now.

Best this Season: Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc
Yeah, I'm not putting the two arcs together. While there were some parts of Despair Arc I was kinda iffy about, it had the power to make me almost cry laughing and then make me stare at the screen in shock in the same episode. I also got to finally see Hajime and friends animated, which made me happy. Watched Weekly.

Honorable Mentions: D. Gray-man Hallow Easily my most anticipated series of the year, DGM Didn't disappoint. While the animation let up in some certain places, and the pacing was all over the place, I was left satisfied with the ending. I will forever give kudos to Ayumu Murase, because his performance as Allen really made the show for me (especially since I loved Allen's original seiyuu). Nostalgia was present in a few certain spots (the OP, a few spots here and there with certain characters, flashbacks), but it was never too over-bearing. What a great ride. Watched weekly.

Tales of Zestiria: Coming in with my only experience of the Tales franchise being Tales of Vesperia, I enjoyed what I saw and the animation. Mikleo is probably my favorite character; I love that guy! Started watching weekly, stopped watching, but binged and caught up.

ReLife: Having read the comic, I watched this with some excitement. The animation was good, the story flowed well, and I had a good time while watching. A very good show, hoping for more material in the future. I binged this a week after it came out.

Disappointing/Okay: Danganronpa Future Arc: While it wasn't really a disappointing show overall, and it had many points where I left questioning, I'd been looking forward towards Future Arc more than Despair. I watched it, had a great time, but it didn't have the same dread/love like I did with Despair Arc everytime I pulled up an episode. Watched weekly.

Worst: Taboo Tattoo
I tried. I even tried reading the manga. Nope. I eventually forgot about it, and now I'm kinda glad I did. Dropped.

Honorable Worst: DAYS. Man, I liked the first handful of episodes, but as It started going on, It started losing it's draw to me. I'm probably going to drop it next season, due to a busy schedule and boredom. Watched weekly, about to drop.

I'm about eight-ish episodes in (I can't really remember) of Re:Zero, but I'm still not seeing some of the charm (besides Subaru; that guy's a great MC). I've heard all sorts of people praising it, and I'm trying to keep an open head (Episode 18! I keep hearing about Episode 18!), but I'm still not seeing it. I'm going to probably watch the entire thing, and I think it's an okay show as of now but not something so far on this 'SAO-AOT' level. (Of course, I think those shows of more middle-of-the-run-fairly-entertaining-but-not-mind-blowing-amazing). Of course, my opinion will probably change.

I haven't touched Mob; I was planning on watching once it's run ended.

This is my opinion too. Wink
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I guess maybe I overinterpreted?

Definitely some overinterpretation/speculation in there. I don't know that any of it is absolutely PROVEN to be wrong, but there's at least a few points that are highly unlikely and some others that may be true but could also be "correct, but not in the way you think". Interesting thoughts tho.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
That is the reason I drop a series the moment it displeases me.

Same here. There's just too much out there now, both new and old, to waste your time on something you're not enjoying.

So far this year, there's only been two shows I've dropped: Endride and Taboo Tattoo. And judging by the weekly rankings in Japan and the comments here, that's been pretty much the universal reaction to both shows.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...the mystery of Subaru's sudden appearance in his new world is explained...

It was? In the anime? When did that happen? I guess it went completely over my head. Confused

I was wondering this as well - not sure what Rebecca was remembering when she takled about this or the mystery of the witch being resolved in any meaningful way by the anime.

I guess maybe I overinterpreted? It is a hazard of my English prof life. Laughing But anyway, where I got that was from spoiler[the revelation that Puck was either Emilia's mother or channeling her somehow, along with the fact that most of the times Subaru died, it was because he made a mistake that would result in either Emilia's death or him being unable to be on her side. From there, and the witch's final words to him, it seemed to me that he had been brought to the fantasy world by the witch in order to protect her daughter, which led me to the thought that perhaps the witch is not the monster she's been made out to be, but instead, like Emilia, a victim of racial prejudice. Subaru, as an otaku, would have fewer issues with this than people from the actual world, and so would be a better choice to protect her. So therefore, "what it's all for" is less "Subaru gets Emilia" or something romantic like that and more "Subaru keeps the witch's daughter alive." This also allows for Subaru to have been completely manipulated if the the witch (and Emilia) does turn out to be evil after all.]

I can buy most of the first part, it's the same idea used in Magic Knight Rayearth, in which Princess Emeraude casts her particular spell as the Pillar of Cephiro to summon three persons (don't remember if they had to be girls, but probably yes) to fight for Cephiro. However, such...specifications were not stated.

I suppose that by Otaku you mean that he has no clear purpose in life and such? We never see it but that's the most we can infer from his attitude. The problem that this arises is how much control does the Witch has in the earth. Like she can see into the hearts of people and can pick whoever she wants.

But even so, spoiler[his deaths being related to "not being by her side" is a bit of a stretch; by the same logic, I can say he cannot be by Rem's side because he's dead therefore he comes back to life. Especially in the second arc he dies by reasons completely unrelated to Emilia. It would make sense that his power itself is coming back to life because he is a key element to protect Emilia, regardless of the circumstances of his death.]

Still, now that I think back to it, it kind of forces the reason for Emilia and Subaru to be in this world, because Emilia's role becomes spoiler["being the Witch's daughter"] and Subaru is forced to protect her.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
i think that's a really interesting take on the series, rebecca; i rather like it. i do think it's very much more educated conjecture/interpretation than confirmed 'canon,' though, at least from an anime-only perspcetive
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Didn't watch many shows, but the best for me was Jojo's Bizarre Adventure out of the ones I watched. It's been consistently entertaining and Kira is a great villain.

Don't have a worst but the biggest disappointment was Berserk 2016. It's visually ugly, the sound is bad and I think the original source material was adapted terribly. Though, unlike others, I vastly prefer the story and the direction it takes after the Golden Age, aside from a few things, and I'd rank the Golden Age arc as the third best arc overall (not counting the current arc since it's barely gotten started).

I wanted to like Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars, but I don't think it balanced the mecha plot and its characters well. Though, I haven't checked out the series since it went on break to fix its issues so maybe it's better now.

Last edited by Souther on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
I wanted to like Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars, but I don't think it balanced the mecha plot and its characters well. Though, I haven't checked out the series since it went on break to fix its issues so maybe it's better now.

Regalia is definitely better now. IMO they made the plot in the beginning more coherent and the animation has improved markedly. The first episode past the redone episodes aired today. I was planning on reassessing its score after a few of the new episodes came out, but the new one was good enough that I upgraded the series' rating immediately. It's still not for everyone but if you are a fan of the genre, check it out if only to see its rare hand-drawn mecha action. I hope it will be reviewed after it ends. I'm glad they decided to put it on hold until they could be satisfied with their work.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
snip

Thanks a lot, that's good to hear! I'm going to check it out later.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Best: Re:zero (Of both Spring and Summer, and the whole year, for me)

Runner Up:, Tie of Mob Psycho 100 and JJBA: DIU

Worst: Berserk 2016 (Completely ruins the epic dark fantasy original with some of the shoddiest anime Cg I've ever seen, if they wanted to do CG, give to CyberConnect2's movie division or Polygon Pictures, and not the same crappy studio that ruined Terraformars as well.)
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Like a lot of others here, the best for me was Mob Psycho 100. By a large margin.The animation, among other technical aspects, was breathtakingly impressive, but the real standout was ultimately the great characters and relationships, almost all of which I cared about to some extent (even Dimple!). If there's one thing ONE excels at, it's creating compelling ensemble casts. Lauren explained it best: "A lot of shows have great story and a lot of shows have a unique style, but there aren't too many out there with both. Mob Psycho 100 is a rare exception that tells a story that's as vibrant and engaging as its art and animation style." The show was an absolute blast to watch every week. I really hope we get to see the further adventures of Mob and friends again in the near future. A second season seems very do-able, considering how much content they have to work with (and lacking the need to wait for a redrawn variant, a la OPM). I might even start reading the manga if I become to impatient waiting.

Best puppet animated action fantasy period drama: Thunderbolt Fantasy.
In all seriousness, I wasn't planning on including this for a while given I wasn't sure if it actually qualified as "anime." But seeing so many other people include it tells me it's perfectly justifiable. So yeah, this is my actual runner up: I did not expect much from this show, but dang! Similar to Mob, I couldn't wait to catch this every week. Obviously the animation was extremely cool, and there was also a healthy dose of irreverent humor, but what really surprised me was how interesting the set-up and cast was, despite coming off as ordinary tropes initially. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less from Gen Urobuchi. I wouldn't be opposed to checking out more of these oddly charming puppet shows in the future.

Worst: I almost always drops shows I dislike after a few episodes unless they're so bad they're good, so I don't really have anything I can put here in good conscience. Why put yourself through the torture of watching terrible Japanese cartoons? They can get really painful.

Re:Zero and Jojo's were both great and I liked them a lot, but they were carry-overs from Spring and I rated them as some of my favorites last season so it wouldn't be fair to throw them into the running again IMO. Plus, while I still really liked it, the second half of Re:Zero didn't impress me quite as much as the first. I still find it fascinating how drastically varied people's opinions on Subaru are though. I'd say he's even more controversial a character than Shinji Ikari. But I thought he was a really good protagonist myself. Then again, I'm also an adamant Shinji defender, so maybe there's just something wrong with my head. Razz And Jojo was Jojo, as always. Nothing else to say here really.

Though, just a side note: I find it a bit odd to have so much disdain for something as innocent as Bananya. I mean, sure it didn't have some complex overarching plot or arcs or anything. But I disagree that any show is obligated to have that, especially a goofy series of three minute shorts that's sole purpose is to just be cute and sell some product. Which I'd say the show did pretty well on both of those fronts. A lot of western animation doesn't follow a serial format, and there's really nothing wrong with that at all. It serves its own purpose just fine.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen such a gross misrepresentation of a series as Lauren's description of Cheer Boys. It want a great anime, but it's the exact opposite of what she said. Everyone watching it that I've read seems to be befuddled by her interpretation.

On to the other stuff:
BEST: Mob Psycho 100, with Thunderbolt Fantasy, Re: Life, and Alderamin as runners-up, in that order. They all had great characters and execution.

WORST: Battery and its non-ending of a non-story. Runners-up: ... Well, nothing was that bad, but most disappointing to me was Re: Zero, for much the same reasons as others have said. It went from original to cliched in the space of one episode (18) and it went downhill from there. It was total switchbait and I was completely disappointed.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen such a gross misrepresentation of a series as Lauren's description of Cheer Boys. It want a great anime, but it's the exact opposite of what she said. Everyone watching it that I've read seems to be befuddled by her interpretation.

I don't know. As a gay guy I think she's pretty on point. Sakuma is a pretty huge stereotype, and when you take into account the audience the show is targeting, the whole portrayal comes off as...I don't know if I would could it "panic" but I'd definitely say it confuses the hell out of me..
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
For delivering the whole season's package in one go, ReLife sure didn't do itself any favors when it comes to rankings here on ANN. Shame because it is clearly superior to that overrated Mob Psycho 100 anime. New Game! should be up there too, but eh it's ANN.

Worst of the pack should be Battery. I expected Baseball, but what I got was some angsty boy drama that was bordering on BL BS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8