• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cheer Boys!! (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote

Cheer Boys!!

Genres: drama, tournament
Themes: cheerleading, sports

Plot Summary: Disheartened with judo, college student Haruki Bando was invited by his childhood friend Kazuma Hashimoto to create "BREAKERS", an unprecedented boys' cheerleading team. Those that came to join all were very characteristic in nature: argumentative Mizoguchi, voracious Ton, frivolous Kansai boys Gen and Ichiro, and Sho who has cheerleading experience.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQa31XtqSE
----------------------------------

DuskyPredator wrote:
By the last episode, I don't know if it was because of finished most of everything else, I was just kind of done. I was finding that I was just bored. It is not like Cheer Boys was bad, it was just that in spite of everything else it was kind of boring. There was a plot with going to nationals and all that, but I don't think I ever bought that point because it did not seem that relevant to the actual plot, the characters just suddenly decided they were going to nationals and there was all sorts of drama. They kind of built on too much of a large cast, and even glasses guy who was like the best character, kind of got washed away with the 13 person team. Not bad, but I kind of just lost interest as we got to the final "how far we have come" bit.

I am giving it a rating of So-so (5/10).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The first part of my comment actually had me saying that I could not put in the energy into actually making a series discussion topic for the series, but you were able to.

To be honest there was more I could talk about, like the coach quitting her more professional team for some reason and deciding to coach an almost entirely amateur team. She is kind of a mystery because I am pretty sure she is not being paid, and in the last episode we find out spoiler[that she has a daughter]. She felt more like a plot device rather than a character, even her habit of laughing at things could be seen more the show trying to convince the audience something was funny, which is a shame because I thought she was rather interesting.

The setting of a college feels a little underutilised, like I am sure that there should be more to it than just more freedom than a high school, but still have clubs. Cheng felt a bit too much used as quirky foreigner, until the last episode where he was kind of awesome. Broccoli was an interesting bit to break up the tension, especially how it ended that particular arc, but with my other feelings I was kind of done with it. The cheer on over grandmother was a pretty good part to have, because it felt like it actually fit with one of their original goal, making themselves stronger not focusing on some competition.

And although not bad, I think that the final performance could have been a bit better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1