• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam Reconguista in G Sub.Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I've taken movie courses in college too, you'd be amazed how inaccurate internet reviews act (IE using the word film since starting from the 90s onward many movies use video and digital recording techniques so the proper term should be motion picture not film).

Wow... just wow. I love that in one sentence you prove that you completely demolish any tiny bit of credibility you think you may have had. Bravo!

Seriously, quit while you're behind.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
At her Otakon panel on the Gundam franchise, Lauren Orsini described Gundam Reconquista in G as, "Tomino comes out of retirement to confuse everybody." That seems to pretty well distill this review too. For me, that's not necessarily a reason to avoid watching it, because its intentions strike me as interesting and its failures potentially so as well, so the review is more guidance as to how to adjust my expectations.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
(IE using the word film since starting from the 90s onward many movies use video and digital recording techniques so the proper term should be motion picture not film).

That's not some devastating inaccuracy, it's just linguistically naïve pedantry. If you consider that kind of thing the basis for judging criticism, it might go some ways toward explaining why you aren't being found very interesting or persuasive. (And if we're being pedantic, I think that you want e.g, not i.e. in this instance)

For somebody who professes to be disinterested in the opinions of critics, the effort that you expend trying to delegitimize makes you seem in some measure emotionally invested in their opinions and unable to accept how they don't validate your own reactions to media.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:
I love that in one sentence you prove that you completely demolish any tiny bit of credibility you think you may have had. Bravo!

You seem to lack a citation or point out how I am wrong.

My own sense is that you should be inviting a counterargument, which is indeed not provided. However, in fairness, you've supplied no argument to counter, only posturing and bristling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
(And if we're being pedantic, I think that you want e.g, not i.e. in this instance)

I know the "I think" was rhetorical, but – pedant here, fully cognizant of how dumb (it's not even pedantic; it's just willfully ignorant of how language works and evolves) it is to claim "film" is the wrong thing to call a motion picture not shot on film: i.e. is definitely wrong, because it means what follows it is another way of expressing the same thing you've just said. E.g. means giving one of multiple valid examples; it's right there in the phrase it's an initialism for, "exempli gratia". You don't even have to know Latin to figure out what that means.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
At her Otakon panel on the Gundam franchise, Lauren Orsini described Gundam Reconquista in G as, "Tomino comes out of retirement to confuse everybody." That seems to pretty well distill this review too. For me, that's not necessarily a reason to avoid watching it, because its intentions strike me as interesting and its failures potentially so as well, so the review is more guidance as to how to adjust my expectations.
Interesting, since I would describe G-reco as "Tomino guarantees that nobody will ever bother him again to make another Gundam show."
チョコレートバー

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

On your link, one of those is still bull. If it was oxygen deprivation (which I agree is what it looked like), then her magically getting better when they go to space makes absolutely no sense. Brain cells just don't magically recover. Tomino seems to know this too given Amuro's dad.

The overall isn't an average.

You're arguing about entirely different things. The original bitching was about why she is retarded, which the show did answer (aka internal consistency). Whether you find the reasoning believable or not, is another issue entirely though arguing over things not ahereing to reality. Also she didn't magically get better she was gradually improving before they got into space.

Quote:

I had no problems following what was happening, and the plot was indeed bad. The pacing was awful as well. I really wouldn't have expected such an experienced director to screw up the pacing that much to where he runs out of time and is forced to cram.

Why is the plot bad? From you to Lauren who seem to fail to actually explain what about the plot makes it bad when its obvious that she and you didn't actually bother to pay attention to it (she doesn't even understand what the title even means) yet so you claim to understand it.

Quote:
Not comparable. G-Reco was aimed at a much smaller, older niche audience. That group buys more discs which is why the whole late night anime thing works. Prime time anime actually gets money from commercials, and offers much more visible product placement for merchandise. Prime time isn't going to necessarily mean lots more disc sales because the majority of that expanded audience doesn't buy expensive discs.

How is it not comparable? They're both Gundam anime on TV, Bandai never stated the audience that G-Reco was geared for (Tomino said he made it for children). IBO had the same timeslot as Gundam SEED/Destiny and Gundam 00 both of which were highly successful on BD/DVD and had high ratings while IBO didn't despite G-Reco being deemed a failure financially it had better ratings (for its slot) and excceeded expectations.
Quote:

I wouldn't call that exceptionally high either. 10k+ is exceptionally high (average, not talking about first volume only sales), and plenty of 10k+ series still aren't big enough for sequels. 7300 isn't a bomb or anything, but it is quite a leap to compare that to a prime time slot. The fact they didn't give it a prime time slot like every other made for tv gundam already shows they knew it wouldn't be popular on that level.

In this day and age where we have gone through several seasons where only two anime has cracked 10k averages in this year alone? Also only a few Gundam anime has aired on primetime (SEED, 00, AGE, IBO, Zeta) the rest have occupied different timeslots. G-Reco aired on the same timeslots as mainstream hits such as Macross Frontier, Code Geass S1, and Madoka.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
- a narrative where the "whys" are a bit murky as he focuses on the "therefores" and the "thuses" for the end result

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I absolutely loved G-reco, and although the 'plot' isn't all that great, it kind of takes a back seat. I can't remember where, but I recall in an interview Tomino wanted to make a Gundam that kids could enjoy (pity about the late night time slot). It kind of reminded me of watching Gundam Wing back in high school. I couldn't always follow what all the factions were up to and who was on whose wide, but I had fun every episode I watched, and the overall themes and characters still got across fine.

When I started watching it, I tried mightily to make sense of it in a traditional, plot derived manner, but all that was really secondary. Take it at it's own stride, let the genki vibes wash over you, and it's probably the most fun I've had watching Gundam in quite a while. It's rare to see something that feels so genuinely optimistic, especially coming out of the never-ending tragedies of the Universal Century. Indeed, considering the destruction wrought in the UC era, G-reco is a distinctly post-apocalyptic setting, but the fact that we still get the younger generation trying to stake their own future free from the cynicism of the old is a profoundly refreshing and uplifting thing to see, especially from a franchise as tired as Gundam.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
I have watched most of the Gundam series and this is the only one I dropped midway so far. I just couldn't wrap my head around why things were happening and lost interest. This series also was the first Gundam series that I would say I disliked (I usually don't give negative opinions about anime). Also A/Z is Aldnoah/Zero right? I actually liked the first season of that (it would have been better if it ended there in my opinion). Though I am also one of the weird people who think Cross Ange was decent/show.

I think everyone has different tastes so the people calling others who don't understand the story/dislike this series "stupid" are silly. I find it sad that people always need to force their opinion onto others.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
There was one scene I think encapsulates what went wrong. Early on Bellri's mom is in space and wants to get down to her son. She walks into an office, all super serious, and sees a mounted animal head. She laughs upon seeing it, and then proceeds to go back to doing whatever else.

Much like the plot. It moves along, and every episode we stop to experience the mounted head and have an initial impression, but no investment in why or what. It just. Happened.

I don't like G-Reco, as someone who would watch Destiny again before this, and I think the travesty is I could always figure out what was going on, but could never be brought to care. I could wade through the mess with logic and calm, only to have them just assume that that was any fun. Figuring out the show was Work, and could not reach any of my emotions. I can hate Destiny, but G-Reco just leaves me apathetic.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Destiny is great. I don't care what anyone says. But G-Wrecko is the worst of the worst. Tomino made it for the wrong reasons.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
Or maybe people are too dumb / thick to understand the plot.

Fans these days have ADHD and are too used to anime spoonfeeding them every plot point, every detail, constantly.

true enough. i had every intention of skipping this series , but only due to the lack of an english dub version. glad i make the exception cause while its nothing to write about, its a pretty decent gundam series. not every series have to be in spoonfeeding plot mode like in seed,seed destiny,00, iron blood orphans and on the unicorn ova's . this series is more or less like Victory and ZZ, and to be frank, this series definitely isnt the greatest series for the franchise,it sure as hell isnt the worst. that honor goes to G Gundam, Build Fighters,Build Fighters Try and SD Gundam which are by far the worst series for the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
SD Gundam which are by far the worst series for the franchise.

"SD Gundam" is 20+ years of shows, OVAs, and movies. You seriously hate all of it? Even SD Gundam's Counterattack? Shocked
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But like the “ReGild Century” implies, this opulence is only a thin veneer over a dark reality. This society centers around His Holiness, a religious authority who commands the military and governs based on what is and isn't “taboo.” He tells people what's best for them, and vital information stays on a need-to-know basis even for politicians.

The SUcord pope is a ceremonial figurehead that has no real importance other than delivering batteries and the commanders of both the Capital Guard and Capital Army are much more important characters with much more screentime. This isn't a remotely hard to follow part of the show. What on Earth am I reading here?
GarethXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
What's with all this hand holding comments, and could singlet please explain to me.
EF5 Tornado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree with Lauren's review on two specific points. The first is the supposed incomprehensibility, while I too had trouble understanding it had more to do with events happening between episodes and while the dialogue could have been better it was still competent enough to figure out what was going on; even then it wasn't until episode 15 or 16 that I started having these issues. Truthfully, this might have been fixed if the show was three courses instead of two, but since Cross Ange and Gundam Build Fighters Try were simultaneously cannibalizing one another for money it is not shocking this happened. The other point is the art style, for some reason character faces resemble Dr. Seuss, mainly around the eyes. Laughing
Surrender Artist wrote:
For somebody who professes to be disinterested in the opinions of critics, the effort that you expend trying to delegitimize makes you seem in some measure emotionally invested in their opinions and unable to accept how they don't validate your own reactions to media.

Not to defend him, however Anime News Network is one of the biggest anime websites on the (English speaking) internet, I have seen people take recommendations from here and databases such as Wikipedia tend to quote this place. This makes the organization somewhat of a tastemaker the same way people use Rotten Tomatoes to judge motion pictures or IGN for video games. Since humans are not perfect mistakes are made and that happens every now and then, a comments section is ideal for finding such errors as Atop The Fourth Wall has pointed out throughout its run. If DuelGundam2099 is the relativist he claims he is in his profile then being against an absolute consensus is to be expected. What better place to do it then a tastemaker website where viewership is maximized? It is a damn shame, I think he would be better suited for YouTube than here, his language reminds me of early videos from TheAmazingAthiest and Linkara.

As for this comment section specifically, I sincerely thought the /m/ boards on 4chan were joking or over reacting, but after skimming this thread I have seen quite a few condescending and inflammatory remarks, especially toward G-Reco defenders. This feeds a notion I have observed on other websites lately where the narrative is G-Reco and/or Yoshiyuki Tomino are seen in an unfavorable biased light here. Add to the fact I have seen similar posts in the comments sections of Lauren's other Gundam reviews and a recipe ideal for delegitimizing ANN's reputation could be in the future if not dealt with. At the moment I'm just thankful /m/ is too small to have any real influence over the internet as a whole.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
I think it is best not to take the loudest and rudest voices as representative of the overall opinion of the website. Yes I think some here have displayed remarkable and counterproductive disrespect for G-Reco defenders including one that clearly crossed the line, not that the defenders always displayed respect towards those who looked at it disfavorably. However if you look at the series ratings, the average is in line with the rating on every other site I checked (MAL, Anime-planet, Hummingbird, AniDB) and far from the lowest. If they think the site views the show unfavorably, well that seems to be the consensus of the English speaking anime community, and AFAIK elsewhere as well. If you disagree with that consensus that's fine but I don't see any good evidence of bias. Also if they are including the reviewers in it as well, I think all A's but the story is far from unfavorably biased and the better regarded entries by Tomino are reviewed quite positively, by both users and reviewers alike. Aside from some strident provocateurs, there isn't really any there there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4