• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsume Yuujinchou Go (TV 5).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Focus switching back to Natsume and one of the more conventional "help the youkai" episodes.

I don't think I've seen a youkai like Shuon before, he appears to be derived from the Buddhist pantheon of devas and the eternal quest for nirvana. The pilgrimage of youkai seems similar to the Hyakki Yakou but isn't malevolent at all.

I thought for a moment the mushroom cap youkai would sell Natsume out, but that would have betrayed what his friend stood for. The scene at the end gives hope that the small youkai will eventually prove worthy of standing together with his friend. After all, the one asset youkai have over humans is endless time.

Next week is the background for Natsume's adoptive guardians. They rarely get any screentime if at all so this should be an interesting view to see how they first met Natsume Takashi.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote

This is almost certainly the first time the Fujiwaras get the spotlight in this series. Viewers don't really see much of them aside as being Natsume Takashi's adopted parents and being extremely nice, so a little insight into their lives prior to Natsume's arrival and the circumstances which brought Natsume to their home is a nice one, even if the episode itself is mostly unremarkable.

Given Fujiwara Shigeru's past dealings with Natsume's grandmother, perhaps it is fate or a series of interconnecting coincidences that brings Natsume and the Fujiwaras together. It also brings into sharp relief how much Natsume Takashi values his current home despite the innate talent he was born with and the book he inherited.

One thing which seems a little sad is the Fujiwaras being the one couple who would probably accept Natsume Takashi for what he is (seeing spirits and all) had he opened up to them but he will never tell them for fear of destroying the happy home they have built up over the decades. There have been occasions when Fujiwara Shigeru realises something is up with Natsume Takashi, but he prefers to overlook it and care for Natsume as his own son.

Very strong crow motif in this episode. Probably hit and miss depending on the viewer in question.

Back to normal service next week, not much more to go before this adaptation ends. I doubt viewers will learn more about Natsume Reiko before the series ends though.
Zubby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying this season quite a bit. At first, it didn't seem that different from previous seasons, but I've been enjoying the episodes focusing on other characters.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
#11 end

Thinking about this episode, I realised it's not just a way to close out the season but also to give the comic-relief pair of youkai a chance under the spotlight. Well-meaning but not used to interacting with humans other than Natsume Takashi, their intent brings about the whole plotline for this episode and a chance for Natsume to reflect on his relationships and the good things he's accumulated staying with the Fujiwaras.

Just as well youkai don't suffer from overworked muscles, fixing the lantern path for Natsume's sake may have been futile in the end but Natsume wasn't any the wiser.

Although a bit contrived, all of the recurring youkai cast members appeared in this episode together with Natsume's elusive grandmother. The recurring student cast also make a collective appearance as well.

As always, one can't go wrong watching this series for relaxing entertainment. Even without reading the source material, those who've watched previous seasons can jump straight back in without really missing a beat.

Best news is that there's another adaptation scheduled for 2017!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Hooray for Roku in 2017!

It's announced now that the other two episodes in the series are doing to be home release-only.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that they adapted some of the special chapters.from the final few episodes. Still, very good adaptation and imo, this was one of my favorite seasons this Fall.

Great news about the 6th season too. I can't wait for 2017!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Do users who watch the sixth season use this thread for discussion, or start a new one dedicated to season 6?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Since the previous seasons have been broken up in the Series Index and given their own threads I would suggest season 6 get its own thread as well. I will go ahead and create it myself in a few minutes when I have a few free moments.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
OVA #2

Playing hide-and-seek with youkai is not something humans can do without collapsing from exhaustion midway through the session. Sometimes Natsume just can't help but get himself into trouble. Fortunately for him he managed to get himself out of it with Choubihige's advice even if the rest of the party didn't do anything useful for him during the actual search.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2