• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Squid Girl Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I've got a hurricane bearing down on me, but I'm not worried. Just happy. Laughing

Mark Gosdin
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I would see the day that Squid Girl would be picked up by another company. Surprised Now that Sentai has it, maybe they could try finishing the English version of the show when they have a chance? Odds aren't looking that great that it'll happen, particularly with the original cast, but I'm hopeful.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Original english dub cast please!
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sweet More Squid Girl hope that they will dub the second season and ova
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/ask-sentai-18-nozaki-kun-box-sets-and-sentai-studios

Quote:
Do you guys do all of your English dubs in house, or do you send them to other companies like Bang Zoom and NYAV?

In past years, Sentai relied on several outside studios including Seraphim Studios, Bang Zoom and New York AV for our ADR work. That changed in 2014 when Sentai built its own ADR facilities and brought those important functions completely in-house. Now every single Sentai Filmworks release is produced by, you guessed it, Sentai Studios.

This is why they went in-house and recast everyone for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya & Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen in 2014 (even after having the Unlimited Blade Works movie & Ouvertüre special dubbed at Bang Zoom with the original casts a few years earlier) and most likely why they haven't dubbed other sequels like for Higurashi & Familiar of Zero so I don't expect them to dub these either which is a shame really because Media Blasters didn't give the show good treatment with their "Part DVD sets first, Complete BD set later" practice they had going on at the time (though Bakuman was handled worse since those releases got cancelled).
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally a license-rescue! For awhile I'd thought we'd never see this show again.

I can't imagine how they'd adapt the season 2 episode with the ESL lessons into a dub script.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
It's a great, cute series but I'd have enough of Sentai's dub bait releases; Seeing how I just end up buy the dub releases and watch the sub only stuff streaming... every single time and even when I tell myself not to do it..., this news is just "eh" to me.

Unless they dub it but seeing what they did with Higurashi, I'm not expecting anything on that front.

Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I watched the first season recently, and was disappointed to find out that Media Blasters didn't release anything else. I'm hoping Sentai will get Bang Zoom to help out on a dub, but then again Sentai is no stranger to sub-only sequels or recasting to keep shows in-house.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Count me in the group that would kill metaphorically for a Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei release. I honestly feel like it one of the two or three best black comedies along with Nisosin's Monogatari.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I enjoyed the first season of Squid Girl and the second but I never expected that season two would ever get a home video release. Well here's hoping that season two will finally get dubbed. Very Happy
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
I am inkcited!

I imagine that some industry insiders had an inkling that this deal was coming together...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I've got a hurricane bearing down on me, but I'm not worried. Just happy. Laughing

Mark Gosdin

In the same boat as you, well we don't need boats yet.....

ps.. i'm in orlando
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Was pissed when the second season was never released. So guess I gotta double dip on the first season. But great news for the second season and the OVA's.

Hurrah.
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
I am inkcited!

I imagine that some industry insiders had an inkling that this deal was coming together...

It's inkconceivable that it took quite a while for this deal to be done...

Very Happy
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Mark Gosdin

I've ridden out hurricanes only a couple of miles from the coast. Stay safe!

Can only hope season 2 gets a dub! Definite buy for me. I was so disappointed when Media Blasters lost the license--Sentai to the rescue, again!

...and now I've got that OP stuck in my head..."shinryaku! shinryaku! shinryaku! shinryaku!.."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3