• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Squid Girl Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep all the "you gotta be squiding me" jokes in. They were cheesy but they always made me laugh.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I've got a hurricane bearing down on me, but I'm not worried. Just happy. Laughing

Mark Gosdin

Good luck to you. That hurricane looks nasty.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
An interesting case of Sentai releasing sub-only releases is that they picked up the second and third seasons of "Hell Girl". This was reversed 8 years when Funi picked many ex-ADV titles. However, a lot of those ADV titles had finished dubs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
An interesting case of Sentai releasing sub-only releases is that they picked up the second and third seasons of "Hell Girl". This was reversed 8 years when Funi picked many ex-ADV titles. However, a lot of those ADV titles had finished dubs.

Of course, Funimation passed on later seasons of Hell Girl because it didn't sell well. So it's understandable why Sentai didn't dub seasons two and three. We don't really know how well Squid Girl did for Media Blasters. They did acquire season two, but lost the license due to issues the company was going through at the time.

On the plus side, Media Blasters season one release was fairly limited, and the complete collection bluray was not in print for very long. So it could have some more potential for sales than other license rescues they've done. I wouldn't be surprised if they held off on decisions for season two until they see who much demand for a dub they get, and how well season one does.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/ask-sentai-18-nozaki-kun-box-sets-and-sentai-studios

Quote:
Do you guys do all of your English dubs in house, or do you send them to other companies like Bang Zoom and NYAV?

In past years, Sentai relied on several outside studios including Seraphim Studios, Bang Zoom and New York AV for our ADR work. That changed in 2014 when Sentai built its own ADR facilities and brought those important functions completely in-house. Now every single Sentai Filmworks release is produced by, you guessed it, Sentai Studios.

This is why they went in-house and recast everyone for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya & Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen in 2014 (even after having the Unlimited Blade Works movie & Ouvertüre special dubbed at Bang Zoom with the original casts a few years earlier) and most likely why they haven't dubbed other sequels like for Higurashi & Familiar of Zero so I don't expect them to dub these either which is a shame really because Media Blasters didn't give the show good treatment with their "Part DVD sets first, Complete BD set later" practice they had going on at the time (though Bakuman was handled worse since those releases got cancelled).

Most of those sequels weren't dubbed because the show's underperformed for both Geneon and Funimation, hence why Funi didn't relicense the shows once they expired, or pick up further seasons.

Sentai did dub a few follow up properties with Bang Zoom, but those titles were higher profile and had been more successful than the sequels had released sub-only. At the time, they probably felt it made financial sense to do so, even when they could probably produce the dubs cheaper themselves. It's entirely possible that the titles didn't perform as well as they had hoped, and contributed to the decision to dub things like Fate/Kaleid in house.

Also, the change from Seraphim to Sentai was largely a legal status and in-name only change. Sentai Studios still uses the same equipment and staff as Seraphim, and they are located in the same offices. They didn't really build an entirely new studio. They mostly just used the same one located down the hallway. My best guess is that Sentai did some sort of space leasing agreement, or acquired the recording studios outright, to help streamline the operations a bit and bring the costs down slightly. Since only fees for using the facilities would have to exchange hands, it would be much simpler than legally contracting out each individual production and paying Seraphim for their services. If nothing else, it would cut down a bit on paperwork. I doubt John Ledford would spend money building a new studio, when he already had one set up and ready to go.

Seraphim still has a website and phone number, so I would guess that they still accept outsourced work. It may not be that different from the ADV/Amusement Park Media Days. When they started attempting to get more third party work, they changed the name to Amusement Park Media. However, some titles still bore the name ADV Studios/Films as production, even after the switchover. Most notably, FMP: The Second Raid lists ADV in it'a credits as the production studio. Of course, that was probably an exception, due to the fact that Funi was ultimately going to distribute the show for Kadokowa USA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3