• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Another great review! I am close to tears, again. And I can tell that the next episodes will be the most bittersweet of my anime watching life. That dance party after the Grand Prix finals will be epic. I hope Yuri and Victor slow dance the night away and then go home with their adopted cat, Yurio.
taurussieben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
And I still can't decide whom I want to win. I mean they all deserve it, and they are great skaters who worked hard for thus competition. It's great if Yuuri wins, but still...
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe, in that it depicts what would be possible in a better world.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's showing us a world better than the real world, and I applaud it for that.
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10 was really great.
And the ending was a reference to The Hangover right?
Anyway, I hope it to get a season 2.
Beltane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
It's very weird how, after 9 episodes, the most expressive piece in Yuri!!! on Ice has been an ED of still images. I don't know who drew them, but those illustrations are glorious, not because of their meaning only, but if I watched them alone, I could understand everything about every character in there, it's incredible.

The ED illustrations were drawn by Mitsurou Kubo and Sayo Yamamoto, the two ladies who brought YOI into this world. And so much Eros, Yuri...
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
What a great episode! I love it when a story turns you on your head when it slips a missing piece in that fits perfectly in place and explains so much. I went back and rewatched the first 5 episodes and it's like watching another story.

Victor to me probably thinks that alcohol drove Yuri's confidence at the party, and he probably lost it to his self doubt afterwards and that's why Yuri didn't follow through. Victor likely thinks the skating routine was designed to attract his attention, even if subconsciously, so he takes the chance and goes to Japan. Everything after that is him designing ways to recapture that Yuri, to give him chances to make a move again and rekindle what was started that night. Even the skating routine he creates for Yuri has echoes of the dances they were doing at the party. The skating is important, but this becomes much more of a relationship anime, with Victor finding the meaning he'd been looking for outside of skating.

I don't know that I've ever loved an anime so much. Natsume comes close, but this is just spectacular.

(Also, I had no idea there was another series thread for this. Why? That makes no sense. Why create this thread for fans here then have another split off somewhere?)
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, upon thinking on this series further, I think my interpretation of Victor here was quite cynical for the type of upbeat show that YOI is (and one of the reasons I fell in love with it in the first place). Victor is not vindictive in the way my post implies, and me interpreting his serious expression as something negative (unhappiness) was incorrect. That's definitely not the show Mitsurou Kubo and Sayo Yamamoto were intending to promote. (Especially given Kubo's twitter post about willing to protect the utopian world where no on gets persecuted for who they love).

(I tire of my own cynicism coloring my thoughts at times).

I'm fully behind the interpretation that Gabriella and chaccide state... that Victor went to Yuri out of bravery and a chance to enrich his personal life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The commemorative photo scene takes place BEFORE the banquet where Yuuri goes freak. It's not an airport scene at all, this takes place in the Sochi Sports Palace, right after the Finals are over. There are a few comparative photos going around already to prove it. The banquet would have taken place a day or two after that. So the timeline is first, Yuuri loses the GPF miserably and Victor mistakes Yuuri for a fan and Yuuri gives him the cold shoulder, then at the banquet Yuuri gets really bleeping drunk and begs Victor to be his coach, not the other way around

This! I keep seeing this misconception. The banquet would have been the last interaction with Yuri at the Grand Prix Final. Yuri didn't snub him afterwards.
willag wrote:

Well, from his POV, Yuri was a charming young man who seduced him, requested him to be his coach, and then ignored him for several months afterwards. Surely Victor would have seen Yuri at the competitions they both participated in after the Grand Prix, but Yuri never interacted with him, caught up in his own mental issues and break down. Still, Victor is under the impression that Yuri remembers the previous events and is now ignoring him...

...How much of this is Victor trying to get back at Yuri for "scorning" him and how much is him genuinely trying to rekindle something and taking Yuri's request for a coach seriously? I don't know. But I imagine it's more of the former than the latter initially, and over time it becomes more of the latter. I think Victor's kiss in episode 7 was kind of the break through moment for him.

There wouldn't have been any other competitions after the Grand Prix Final for them to interact at. The next set of competitions is the National finals which would be different for each since they are from different countries. Nationals is the qualification for everything else. Yuri didn't qualify so his season was over after Nationals. He went back to Detroit to finish up his degree. So from Victor's POV, it's not that Yuri was scorning Victor at competitions, it was that Yuri essentially dropped off the face of the earth because he's not that active on social media and he didn't qualify for any more competitions. So the video that Victor saw of Yuri would have been his first sign of Yuri since the banquet. So I don't think there was much of Victor trying to get back at Yuri for "scorning" him. I think Victor was just kind of confused since Yuri acts so differently sober. The banquet was probably the most interaction Victor ever had with Yuri.

As a side note, I also didn't realize there was another thread...

Edit: Sorry, willag. You posted while I was writing.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
That's definitely not the show Mitsurou Kubo and Sayo Yamamoto were intending to promote. (Especially given Kubo's twitter post about willing to protect the utopian world where no on gets persecuted for who they love).

(I tire of my own cynicism coloring my thoughts at times).

I'm fully behind the interpretation that Gabriella and chaccide state... that Victor went to Yuri out of bravery and a chance to enrich his personal life.

The previews for next time show him in a cold and seemingly lonely place in winter, with his dog, so I'm thinking it must be a flashback to before Yuri. We may get more of an understanding of what Yuri means in his life.

Re cynicism, I can't blame you. But I think that you're right, the tone the creators are going for is joyous. There's plenty of time now to explore the realities of gay romances, now that they've set the stage. But for this first time, this is perfect.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
It's very weird how, after 9 episodes, the most expressive piece in Yuri!!! on Ice has been an ED of still images. I don't know who drew them, but those illustrations are glorious, not because of their meaning only, but if I watched them alone, I could understand everything about every character in there, it's incredible.

Actually Kubo sensei made her "gengaman" debut with that ending. She drew all the key art for it.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Beltane wrote:
Valhern wrote:

The ED illustrations were drawn by Mitsurou Kubo and Sayo Yamamoto, the two ladies who brought YOI into this world. And so much Eros, Yuri...

crosswithyou wrote:
Actually Kubo sensei made her "gengaman" debut with that ending. She drew all the key art for it.

Well I would believe that Yamamoto could have storyboarded or at least created the idea for this ending, she is very good with ED and OPs. They do make a beautiful combo...though pretty much whoever works with Yamamoto is bound to do something awesome.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This show, is really just...too amazing and perfect to be true. I really had my hopes way down at the beginning since I figured it will all just turn out to be queer-baiting. I mean, I would have been happy if they had pulled a Free! where everyone remained single and friends. But my God, they went wayyyyy beyond any expectations I could have EVER possibly had. And at the end of the day, it's still a SPORTS anime, and a GREAT one at that. The Victuuri romance is like an ambrosial frosting on an already scrumptious cake. I totally agree with Gabriella's use of the word "radical" for this show. It has more than earned that descriptor. it's like some kind of perfect dream. I am almost dreading the next two episodes because I'm so afraid something will happen to destroy that dream...that scene with Victor and Makkachin in the snow for next week's preview is worrying me to no end since Victor looks so sad. I do agree with others that it's a flashback, but I just hope we're not going to find out he has some kind of terminal disease. I want YOI to not only be the first anime to feature a mature gay couple in a serious, sensitive way, but also one where they won't be "punished" for being gay and happy by having one of them die at the end. I want Victor and Yuuri to be granted a bona fide happy ending, period. To that end, I won't be able to breathe easy until the last minute of the last episode. I am that worried. I want a second season too, but then I know I'll spend THAT whole time worrying if they'll impose any tragedy on them just for drama's sake. Since Kubo-sama and Yamamoto-sama haven't let us down so far, I know I should have faith, but I just can't help it. This show is like a treasure I want to be able to cherish forever without any regrets so I'm just...ANXIOUS. I love this show that much!!
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Please pardon my ignorance: For those of you who are knowledgeable about the ice skating world, may I ask, why is the Grand Prix Final the be all, end all goal of both Victor and Yuuri? What about the Olympics? I was a little confused as to why Victor, being the multiple gold medal winning athlete that he is, never mentions aiming for the Olympics. In fact, no one does. Is there a reason for that?
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this is my first post in for this series and I gotta say I have not been so excited for an anime in a while. I'm seriously considering buying the Blu-Ray ( I'm pretty sure there will be a release). I was trying to re-watch it in English, but I haven't gotten around to that.

Anyway, I have been away from the anime scene for quite a few years now, so I'm usually out of the loop when it comes to what's new out there, I'm glad I started watching this one though. Honestly it was an article I read here that made me binge watch the first 4 or 5 episodes that were available at the moment. If it wasn't for that article, I would have passed over this gem.

In a way hopefully there is a 2nd season, but let's wait and see how the season ends. It might have a very conclusive end that might make a second season redundant.

By the way, I'm sure there was an article about there being nenderoid figures coming out for this series, or did I dream?
Has anyone pre-ordered them yet?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
By the way, I'm sure there was an article about there being nenderoid figures coming out for this series, or did I dream?
Has anyone pre-ordered them yet?

You weren't dreaming.
They're not yet available for pre-order, I don't think.

Just read the episode 10 review and couldn't agree more with everything that was said. FUNimation is dubbing the series right? So I assume that means we can expect a release sometime down the line??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 29