• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Males turning into Magical Girls?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Some things in regards to KoreZom, I don't think they referred to themselves as Magical Girls (mahou shoujo). Instead the term was "masou shoujo" and the English equivalent translation of it, from the fansubs I've seen, was Magiclad Girl. So, yes, he's not a magical girl in many senses since he just, err, wears their garments.

@maxlance

I don't know of any Japanese equivalence for the terms you're looking for but the term I've seen used in papers and such is "gender swapping*" so hopefully that will aid you in finding a Japanese equivalence of the term.

*This terms refers to playing as the opposite gender in games.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
@DuskyPredator

Some things in regards to KoreZom, I don't think they referred to themselves as Magical Girls (mahou shoujo). Instead the term was "masou shoujo" and the English equivalent translation of it, from the fansubs I've seen, was Magiclad Girl. So, yes, he's not a magical girl in many senses since he just, err, wears their garments.

Oh, you're just splitting hairs here. Rolling Eyes

Ayumu *is* a magical girl in every sense of the term. He's got a bloody HENSHIN SEQUENCE.
maxlance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Greetings all and thanks for the feedback!

Can those in the lingo know straighten me out on phase usage? Google Translate is almost useless in providing me what "trap" (as in crossdresser) is In Japanese, never mind the full term "Magical Trap", or "Virtual Woman Man" like a guy's fem-VR avatar in LH, unless they have to be made up which ought be fun. Maybe some another language might be plastic enough to possess such terms! My listing does distinguish between true biologically changed guys into real magical girls (like Twintails) and those becoming "magical traps." I am also coming around to accepting fully mind swapped magical girl dudes as the real deal (say a brother mind-swaps his sis's to kindle her magical bod) if the situation calls it, along with multiple personality magical girl traps as being legit as well. Another category I might consider splitting off are "techno-magical magical traps" as in Twintails, as opposed pure magic magical traps as La Purcell in Magical Girl Raising. Supposedly there's a Sailor Moon magical girl guy in the works but have to dig that out.

Thanks for your input!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
^

I know you don't mean any harm, but I'd like you to read this commentary from Jacob Chapman, ANN's associate editor.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Hey guys!

Since there seems to be some confusion about it, here's why "trap" is a really crappy word and people are giving you stink-eye for tossing it around like it's hilarious. As if saying "trap" is just inherently funny or necessary to say over and over again, and adding any additional context for the label makes it any better.

First of all, "trap" originated on 4chan, from ye olde Star Wars Ackbar scene. The fact that it originated on 4chan might be enough of a red flag for some of you, but in case it's not for most of you, here's a very simple plain english breakdown for why women and LGBT folk see that word (and usually the context it's used in by the person who used it) and feel uncomfortable. This is specifically why it's a slur.

Calling a person a "trap" because they're a biological man in women's clothing is hurtful because by the word's very plain definition, you are reducing that person to a position of "sexual object if woman, mistake/problem for me if not." The implication is that by looking like an attractive woman, (it is only ever used for men who "pass," you may notice, no one ever uses "trap" for a clearly masculine man in a dress,) they are automatically a sexual option for you, that is their purpose, and if there's a dick under that skirt, you've been "tricked" and that's their fault. It's used as the punchline for a joke, but by cosplaying as a woman, in NO WAY did this guy invite your sexual advances or judgment, whether he's transgender or identifies as a man and just enjoys wearing women's clothing. It's especially not funny considering that the number of transwomen or drag performers that have been harassed or murdered because men thought they were women and decided to be violent when they discovered they weren't is really really depressingly high.

Either way, the word is gross, unfunny, punching down, and unkind not only to the man in women's clothing, but also betrays a diminishing attitude toward women: If a woman is pretty, that means she exists to be sexualized by you. If she's secretly a man, that's apparently both your business and your problem. That's what "trap" means, all of that in one crappy little syllable. It's hurtful and shitty. It won't be tolerated here. Hopefully, you can see where we're coming from. If not, you can take it somewhere else.

Hey, I used the term on numerous occasions before reading that post. I've since stopped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it is not really supposed to be used on this site. At first I felt shocked when told it was offensive, especially since I tend to be a fan of such characters and never meant it negatively, but the word kind of implies a negative element. Calling them feminine boy can be more politically correct.
maxlance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Whoa!

Hold the phone!

Maybe I missed out on something but it seems everyone and their brother out there is using the term "trap" simply because out of common usage and not any meaningful insult. I heard it at anime expos and comicons and in anime mags and this is the 1st time I heard that this term was anything but lighthearted. This PC is of vehement concern to me because a local school near me couldn't hold or display any Halloween tokens or anything last year just because ONE Scrooge bit***ed about it and they're already after Thanksgiving. If it's ANN's new policy, then I'll respectfully live and let live with the rules here, though I'm sorry I can't global search and replace all the trap terms already in this topic to something more sensitive, but till all the parties I mentioned also toe the line with this revamped PC terminology, anyone who wants to can also follow this topic in parallel and unfiltered in Reddit under the same topic or just PM me.

Thanks those who've helped make this topic and project a welcome effort.

Max
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3