• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flip Flappers

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm really glad these reviews are here cause I totally missed the whole "they were never in the real world" thing.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I was wrong last time about evil-Mimi and good-Mimi representing Pure Illusion and the real world, respectively.

It seems like evil-Mimi is the side of her that wants to resist change, and good-Mimi is the embrace-change side. The evil one wants Cocona to be a child forever; as she inevitably starts to grow up, mad-Mom tries to shape her into an exact copy of herself. The good one encourages her to go along with whatever change may happen (including the two of them being torn apart) and whatever she wants to do. Neither of them really constitutes a complete person, though, as you would expect from literal halves of a human mind; the evil one is stuck in the past and the good one has no human drive or desires. (Kinda reminds me of Homura and Madoka, come to think of it.) Even Papika, an extremely go-with-the-flow person, refused to accept Cocona being taken away, and went off to rescue her. All that loops back to Cocona and Papika growing up into more complex people under each other's influence.

Papika getting de-aged still wasn't directly explained, but my guess is that both sides of Mimi played a part in it: the good side babyfied her so that Cocona would have a friend (and eventually lover) who would grow up with her and help her become a better person, but the evil side locked Papika up and erased her memory to keep them apart and prevent Cocona from changing. When Cocona decides to be her friend, the cage of Mimi's distrust can't hold her anymore; though apparently the evil Mimi erased Cocona's memory of the whole thing.

On the whole, I'll definitely add this show to my very short list of Things In 2016 That Didn't Suck. But seriously, it was great; the only anime this year that I liked anywhere near as much was "your name," but that's more of a broad-appeal thing while Flip Flappers is more of a personal favorite. It did have some issues, mainly involving the Bu-chan comic-relief-and-fanservice squad, but given that one of the themes is that life can get messy and complicated and full of mistakes, it wouldn't feel right for the show to be flawless and perfectly-structured. It's more ambitious and adventurous than the vast majority of anime, and managed to not royally screw up the ending like so many potential winners do, so "FliFla Project" was certainly a worthy endeavor. I only wish experimental shows like this weren't so unpopular that we only get one when some anime producer has a pile of spare money lying around.

Also, fun fact: apparently, the insert song at the end of the last episode is sung by Cocona and Papika's voice actors.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the creators gave the answer of why Papika was deaged! Apparently, she ended up in the "limbo" area between Pure Illusion and the real world, where time is fluid. Staying there made her younger mentally and physically. Also, Cocona can travel to Pure Illusion in her dreams, which is how she first meet Papika. Still no answer on who the dead body is though.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
Salt? He can piss off, for all I care. Rapists need not apply.

Dude, what on god's green earth are you going on about? You're directing a very loaded accusation against a show that never once insinuated such a thing. Mimi was indeed being held in captivity, but her relationship with Salt was entirely mutual, even if he was the only "love interest" she could possibly have. It's not like Salt deliberately attempted to free her from her captivity and help her escape against her captors that he was rebelling against. Rolling Eyes

In regards to the review of episode 13: that was probably more confusing for me to comprehend than the actual episode. Razz Overall I think this show was a worthwhile watch, with some really great episodes here and there and probably the second best animation showcase of the year behind Mob Psycho 100. It made my top five at the number two spot I think, but it may not have ranked if 2016 would have been a better year for anime than it was (for me anyway).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I only wish experimental shows like this weren't so unpopular that we only get one when some anime producer has a pile of spare money lying around.

It's quite a bummer too. Even if you're not into diving in the symbolism, Flip Flappers is still a visual treat with a fun coming-to-age story to boot. It should be pretty easy to get into unless some of the fanservice bugs some peeps (though I'll really understand if episode 8 was cringy or Nyunyu in general).
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
Oh, the creators gave the answer of why Papika was deaged! Apparently, she ended up in the "limbo" area between Pure Illusion and the real world, where time is fluid. Staying there made her younger mentally and physically.

Hrm. I dunno, I think I like my interpretation better. Razz Mainly because there was never any clue that such a "limbo area" existed. And it raises the additional questions of how Papika got out of limbo, and why she started growing older again while she was still in there.

As for the show's lack of popularity... that's always a fickle thing, apparently. This season, before anything even started, 100% of the hype was focused on Yuri (because sports? Popular staff? It's anime-original so I'm not sure what went on there) so, ironically, the yuri anime got pushed to second-tier along with all the other shows. There was also direct competition from Izetta on the yuri side and Magical Girl Raising Project on the magical-girl side; going by the number of CR reviews, both of those shows were more watched than Flip Flappers.

It's also not obvious to the casual viewer what FF is "about," especially if they've just read a description or seen a trailer (a lot of people seemingly watched the pilot and just walked away in confusion, or dismissed it as a "sakuga showcase"). The others are very straightforward: Izetta is WWII with witches and something resembling gay romance, Yuri is an ice skating sports anime with actual gay romance, and Raising Project is Battle Royale meets Madoka. A promo image and two-sentence synopsis is all you need to determine the basic foundation of those shows; FF is rather baffling at first glance. (Fairy-like beings? "Shard of Mimi?" And just what is a Flip Flapper? It would take a full paragraph just to explain the title.) Most people can't get into something unless its core concept is easy to grasp--it can have lots of depth, as long as it's mostly buried below the surface, so you only have to dig as deep as you want to. FF is fundamentally a coming-of-age story paired with a discovering-you're-gay story, but the themes are stacked in reverse: the concept is buried under a crapton of symbolism and surrealism and other complications, and it requires thought and attention to understand what's happening beyond "woah, so trippy, dude." They do explain the gist of it at the end, but if all you see is the trippy aspect you're probably not going to watch more than a couple of episodes.

I could write a literal novel-length post about the societal issues hinted at by our preference for easily-digested entertainment that doesn't even cover new ground 90% of the time, but that's probably enough blithering from me on the subject.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kotomikun"]
PotatoGirl wrote:

I could write a literal novel-length post about the societal issues hinted at by our preference for easily-digested entertainment that doesn't even cover new ground 90% of the time, but that's probably enough blithering from me on the subject.

Some of us watch anime to unwind and enjoy a fun show, we don't need every show to be some new-age-artsy-symbolic thingy. Granted this show was a blast to watch given its yuri elements and amazing visual style, but not everyone watches shows to be mentally challenged. I am an engineering student, I get enough mental exercise there. Get off your high horse.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
...not everyone watches shows to be mentally challenged. I am an engineering student, I get enough mental exercise there. Get off your high horse.

You're the one on a high horse here, mate. I already told you I didn't want to write an essay on this, and you just assumed it's because I think anyone who watches less complex shows is an idiot, when I said no such thing. Also, you messed up your quotes.

You already proved my point, though, and I didn't even have to say what it was! The problem with modern society isn't that people are dumb; on the contrary, we're expected to handle a tremendous mental load, mostly consisting of very structured tasks in school and/or employment. With little time and energy left over, people consume a lot of mindless entertainment to unwind, and... well, given what's happened in the US recently, it no longer seems hyperbolic to say people are losing the ability to think for themselves. And have been for quite some time, apparently.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
For want of a High Horse, a Thread was lost. Keep it civil, please.

As for the topic

copied from what I wrote in the other thread. It's relevant because reading the review made me think more about it:

Quote:

I was really interested in how after Cocona goes back to the 'real' world, everything is mundane; all the dream-like aspects of her ordinary world have changed: Bu is a backhoe, uexkull is a normal rabbit, the uniforms are more drab, etc. and she's closed off from Pure Illusion. I thought that it was trying to say that growing up results in you losing your sense of wonder and imagination.

But then that ended up not being the 'real' world after all, and Papika rescues Cocona to her more familiar reality, and it turns out that 'realistic' place was another Pure Illusion all along.

Initially I was annoyed at that, since I tend not to like bait-and-switch tactics in fiction, but upon reflection, I think it's really interesting. I think what it's ultimately saying is that there is no place that is not real, there are just different locations in the multiverse, and those with the right frame of mind can traverse them. Like Cocona actually did seem to go 'out' of the pure illusion with Mimi and into the 'realistic' one. And that means the realistic place was just as real as anywhere else, including all the fantastical-seeming Pure Illusions we've seen so far. and Cocona's state of mind at the time took her to somewhere that was very remote, far from where whatever powers travel in Pure Illusion can easily reach. But such a place is still just another location in the multiverse, only one that we happen to be more familiar with, and with Papika's help, she's able to go home for real.

Now, reading the review, I have thought about it more. I still don't think I'd say that only the realistic world is real, and Pure Illusion is, well, illusion. But I do agree with all that with the sentiment that only with the people who are special to you will you find the wonderlands you need; you're not going to get it in the world at large. So no, it doesn't undermine the message about losing that stuff when growing up, and I'm glad about that; the way I interpreted the realistic world was some strong stuff for me. And what it's saying about how to go back to things being exciting is interesting to me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
If you assume the reality of Pure Illusion, a dull, drab world definitely seems like an odd choice of places at first blush, but it makes more sense when you remember that, to the best of her knowledge, she would never she Papika again. Everything amazing in her life is turned as mundane as possible, with Papika's removal from her life being written off as a car wreck to avoid raising questions.

However, it's common in lucid dreams for something to feel "off" that the dreamer can use to tell they're in a dream - which, in Cocona's case, happens to be the amorphous in her leg. But, while she's working up the courage to discover which is the dream, Papika comes back to pick her up(wearing the drab uniform), whereupon everything gets instantly brighter as she gets her true treasure back. Mimi's presence there is also a nice choice to emphasize the "catching up" nature of Papika's vanishment.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Just watched this show. So far my pick for best show of 2016. Yuri on Ice was ok but too mundane for my tastes while Re-Zero was entertaining but still quite shallow and pretty inconsistent in its narrative. This show was really good stuff and reminded me of anime at its best: visually audacious, a bit complex and confusing, full of symbolism and adds several dimensions of possible interpreting.

I still didn't understand one thing: the cult and the lab where salt worked and where Mimi and pure illusion were "discovered" were separate locations or own evolved into the other? I mean I got that impression at some points but I guess I didn't pay attention to that. Did Salt die or it was left up to interpretation?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Just watched this show. So far my pick for best show of 2016. Yuri on Ice was ok but too mundane for my tastes while Re-Zero was entertaining but still quite shallow and pretty inconsistent in its narrative. This show was really good stuff and reminded me of anime at its best: visually audacious, a bit complex and confusing, full of symbolism and adds several dimensions of possible interpreting.

I still didn't understand one thing: the cult and the lab where salt worked and where Mimi and pure illusion were "discovered" were separate locations or own evolved into the other? I mean I got that impression at some points but I guess I didn't pay attention to that. Did Salt die or it was left up to interpretation?

The lab became the cult after Salt's father has his mind messed with by Mimi and Papika. Salt didn't die, he got back just in time.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The finale has, I believe, reiterated everything that I hold to this show's combined credit and detriment. On the one hand, the seemingly naive but ultimately earnest love through which Cocona discovers herself is awarded the overriding emphasis it is due. On the other, the figurative and almost gaudy visual mish-mash that frames the final conflict reminds me why the magical girl genre isn't to my liking: the conceits and devices this sort of show requires to lay its stakes are often beyond what I am able to grant, even when it may be a sufficiently intelligent production to deserve the effort.
A lot is happening in this show that would resonate with almost anyone's experiences of adolescence, but save for when its storytelling is at its most refreshingly direct, I feel as if I've been dealt another glancing blow that ought to have resonated longer than it actually did. In my limited experience, I am reminded of how the similarly-ethereal Kaiba turned out to be, had it traded its production values for more cohesiveness towards its finale.

Saying all this, I am glad that I watched Flip Flappers. Not necessarily because love and self-realisation triumphed over obscurity—though this did indeed happen—but because it allowed me to better recognise the background behind the following, stirring commentary:
Jacob wrote:
This is the answer to the incompatibility between the worlds of childhood and adulthood, as adolescence fades and our many sparkling and raging facets crystallize into the person we must live with alongside others in an imperfect universe. When you discover yourself and commit to who you truly are, you can finally connect with others honestly, and the people you connect with in honest love will make the world feel more perfect and pure than it was before. True, honest, courageous love makes the drab reality we must live in a place of wonder and magic again, through the dreams we share with the right person for us.

Being quite the sentimentalist at heart, my conviction is that this paragraph gives written expression to everything I could wish to take away from this honest if sometimes silly story. As always, thank you JO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
The lab became the cult after Salt's father has his mind messed with by Mimi and Papika. Salt didn't die, he got back just in time.

Thanks. I was a bit confused about those details.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It was a glorious near train wreck. (Not quite a train wreck, but close...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13