• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PlayStation VR Protects Hatsune Miku From Upskirting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

It's not that we want to see them. It's that we're against the idea of censorship, no matter the controversial content - violence, gore, homosexuality, what have you... I don't really care much for them, but I will still fight for people's rights to view them. That's what being against censorship is about. Championing something that you, personally, don't care about.

Sorry, are you really saying that people HAVE the right to peek under a girls' skirt and if you don't allow it, it's "censorship"? Shocked

What's next? Asking for clothes' deletion?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Sorry, are you really saying that people HAVE the right to peek under a girls' skirt and if you don't allow it, it's "censorship"? Shocked

Yes, it's our civic duty to show respect for these hard working game developers who take the time to finely craft a character's undergarments. Imagine the hours of labor wasted because some people try to deny their basic instinct. I for one refuse to let that happen.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
therefore, it is indeed released "exactly as the creators intended", as people like to spout.

I disagree. Censorship is still censorship regardless of who blacks out the "naughty bits". If it is the creators doing it then it's simply a case of self-censorship rather than it being done by a 3rd party.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
People only really care about this because of the fortuitously placed warning box. If it were ye olde void under her skirt, nobody would care.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
People only really care about this because of the fortuitously placed warning box. If it were ye olde void under her skirt, nobody would care.

Some people just have to have something to complain about or else they feel their day was wasted. More and more I shake my hand at what people try and throw "this is censorship" at.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Even if the headline was accurate, which it may not be, I do not see any mention in the article of anything that I would call censorship.
The lack of panty shots is not censorship.

It seems to me that every time people complain about something like this they just trivialize the concept of censorship and make it less likely that anybody will care when they talk about real censorship.

I am sure that there will be a lot of VR games and simulations with enough panty shots and other ecchi content to satisfy anybody's prurient interest, even mine maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll just leave this here for everyone whose arguing, along with the message "Get Over it"
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know this was a thing and... it isn't. The Miku VR demo is one of the things I've tried out (despite hating the sound of Vocaloid) and

a) you can get right up on stage with her so she's practically dancing in your lap
b) at one point in the demo performance she floats up in the air
c) https://twitter.com/shiroihane/status/786766571070951424
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
ani12 wrote:
therefore, it is indeed released "exactly as the creators intended", as people like to spout.

I disagree. Censorship is still censorship regardless of who blacks out the "naughty bits". If it is the creators doing it then it's simply a case of self-censorship rather than it being done by a 3rd party.

In that case, I don't see what the problem is there. The creator is saying, "I don't want people seeing this part of the game." Everything else is just speculation.

Psycho 101 wrote:
Some people just have to have something to complain about or else they feel their day was wasted. More and more I shake my hand at what people try and throw "this is censorship" at.

Sometimes, I feel like some of these people are looking for excuses to just be incredibly inconsiderate to other people or forcing other people to do certain things under the guise of doing otherwise being censorship or feminism or some other boogeyman. I'm not naming anyone here, but it's a general social climate among some places online.

For this one, the creator didn't want people to look up Miku's skirt. Frankly, I think it could've been solved by not letting the camera go down there (like what most games do), but if they decided to just blank it out, it's their decision to do so. Freedom of speech. To force someone to remove it is...well, I don't know what the term for it is, but that's definitely not freedom of speech, as it is effectively not allowing the creator to express something in a certain way.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about censorship is that it makes things more perverted with it than without. To Love-Ru is the perfect example of that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
If the creator did it then it was done the way it was intended.

If Sony ordered it edited for content, then that is censorship.

Anything edited for content is censorship.

From a practical viewpoint, this error message is stupid. Immersion is what VR is all about. Having something pop up like an error message takes you out of the game and ruins the immersion experience. As someone already said, if you don't want your customers to see anything, then control the camera angle, design the character animations so that it is impossible to view anything, or even put something non-descript underneath there so that there is nothing to see. All of this needs to be part of the game design, and not something added on after the fact.

It is just amazing seeing all the pro-censorship people here on an anime forum. Really, this is just Hatsune Miku, there is going to be nothing worthwhile to see under there. If the game creator did this, as he or she, intended; then they need to fix the game so you don't need a error message to pop up.

There are much bigger problems for the game designers to worry about, than bleeding camera angles. Like your character getting stuck in the rocks, getting stuck in the trees, and getting stuck in the building pipes, and your last saved game was several hours ago.

Who the cares if some players are going to do things the game designers never thought they would do. It happens all the time in games, like players finding the cracks in Destiny and seeing future areas 'under construction', which is a bit more egregious than what is happening with Hatsune Miku.

Basic censorship is just one group of people that tell another group of people what they can do and watch.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

In that case, I don't see what the problem is there. The creator is saying, "I don't want people seeing this part of the game." Everything else is just speculation.

I think the "problems" are rather obvious:

1) some people want to see Miku's panties and apparently they cannot. whether that's self-censorship or something imposed by an outside agency is irrelevant. someone, somewhere, supposedly made the decision to block out that content from the game. who did it doesn't matter.

2) regardless of your thoughts on #1, having that black blob with the error message pop up is very distracting and ruins the VR experience.

I think the latter is the biggest issue here. It's not as if there is any shortage of Miku pictures and video online that get far more explicit than an upskirt shot, so if someone wants to look at that sort of thing there are countless options out there. OTOH I think it would be very annoying to have that black blob & message pop up while you're playing around with the camera.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If the creator did it then it was done the way it was intended.

If Sony ordered it edited for content, then that is censorship.

Anything edited for content is censorship.

One could argue there's a third option. The creator succumbing to outside complainers and changing it. Star Ocean 5 saw that one. They toned the game down from their initial vision and designed it to appeal to westerners. As a result a lot of Japanese fans were upset and boycotted the game which resulted in low sales and nobody was pleased, not even the westerners they were pandering to. Lowest selling game in the franchise, and rightfully so.

-Stuart Smith
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

One could argue there's a third option. The creator succumbing to outside complainers
-Stuart Smith

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on the semantic debate here, but I'm not really sure how any of those things are different, except perhaps in the context of discussing government policy. Any of those things are types of censorship from the public's perspective. It doesn't matter if content is limited because the creator decided to do it that way (for whatever reason), or because of government policy, or because of what TV networks want, etc, etc. In any of those cases the end result for the public is the same: certain content isn't shown.

In my opinion, an artist drawing a nude figure that is lacking certain detail is no different than that detail being blocked out. The only difference is who is responsible.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of Chrono Cross on the old Playstation. In profile view you had options like zoom and rotate for their CG model. And you could also tip them over to view them from a different angle. Well, the last one applied to all except one, Leena(she had a skirt)...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3