• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PlayStation VR Protects Hatsune Miku From Upskirting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

In that case, I don't see what the problem is there. The creator is saying, "I don't want people seeing this part of the game." Everything else is just speculation.

I think the "problems" are rather obvious:

1) some people want to see Miku's panties and apparently they cannot. whether that's self-censorship or something imposed by an outside agency is irrelevant. someone, somewhere, supposedly made the decision to block out that content from the game. who did it doesn't matter.

2) regardless of your thoughts on #1, having that black blob with the error message pop up is very distracting and ruins the VR experience.

I think the latter is the biggest issue here. It's not as if there is any shortage of Miku pictures and video online that get far more explicit than an upskirt shot, so if someone wants to look at that sort of thing there are countless options out there. OTOH I think it would be very annoying to have that black blob & message pop up while you're playing around with the camera.

While I would concur that this error message is bad design, I would still say that if the creators wanted to put that there, it's completely within their decision to do so. You say no one should force them to put that error message there. I say it's equally valid that no one should force them to remove it either. It's the creator's decision, and the creator's alone.

I do not say any swear words whatsoever when I speak with someone in public, even if the person I speak to swears like a sailor. Is saying words like "gosh," "darn," and "heck" not a perfectly valid way to converse with people? Should I be forced to swear just because I am censoring myself?
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I would still say that if the creators wanted to put that there, it's completely within their decision to do so.

I agree completely. It is certainly their choice. But it still falls under the definition of censorship IMHO.

Quote:
Is saying words like "gosh," "darn," and "heck" not a perfectly valid way to converse with people? Should I be forced to swear just because I am censoring myself?

It sounds perfectly valid to me, and it is still censorship. Note that I never said anything about censorship being right or wrong, or that anyone should be forced one way or the other. All I'm saying is that this constitutes censorship regardless of who is making the decision to exclude it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see then. Sorry about that. I thought you were one of those absolutists who would insist to have explicit content even against a creator's wishes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:16 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Ah, I see then. Sorry about that. I thought you were one of those absolutists who would insist to have explicit content even against a creator's wishes.

It is the creator that makes the content. If there is explicit content (and upskirts are not typically explicit) then it was made by the creator. (For the sake of argument I am exempting, modders and other fan stuff.)

A pop up error message in a VR simulation screams 'after the fact band aid'. Probably SEGA are the ones responsible, and not the creator.

Though this sure is a strange one, usually we are only dealing with stuff that gets censored here in the west.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
The "creator" did NOT protect against pantyshots.
Nor did SEGA
Or Sony

The picture in the news piece is FAKE. Not like it hasn't been said several times already in this same thread, but itbears repeating.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

The picture in the news piece is FAKE.

I think we're all well aware of that.

We can still discuss our thoughts on censorship independently of whether or not this specific instance was faked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3