• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Poco's Udon World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Getting an extended glimpse of Souta's workplace and meeting his boss and coworkers gives the audience valuable insight into why he's having second thoughts about returning to the city long-term. Although Dahama, the gruff but understanding founder of the company, shows him quite a bit of leniency, and his coworkers are friendly and supportive, Souta clearly feels like he's stagnating in this type of environment.

Hmm, it wasn't clear to me that's why he chose to go home. I thought he seemed in his element, and even though Poco wasn't dying from being away from Kagawa, he still made his decision based on what was best for Poco rather than himself (even if their needs turn out to coincide). The work emergency just forced him to confront this decision sooner than later. If he felt he was stagnating there, the decision wouldn't have been that difficult to make.

As for Dahama, he appeared to be visiting a friend in the hospital, overheard Souta and Nakajima talking enthusiastically about his website, and gave him some tips to encourage that. I don't need it spelled out that he probably struck up a conversation in the hospital room (since he was right next to the person he was visiting), since that particular detail is utterly unimportant. The rooftop conversation was what's important. And I won't be surprised if Team Planet is run by Tomoyuki Oonishi... Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Hey, we actually got to see some Udon for the first time! Laughing

I also think that Souta's decision to quit his job wasn't caused by any kind of dissatisfaction, he seemed to genuinely enjoy his work as well as to like his boss and his coworkers. It was probably a mixture of realizing that he actually enjoys the country life, a lingering attachement to the house his father left him and not wanting to abandon Poco.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Getting an extended glimpse of Souta's workplace and meeting his boss and coworkers gives the audience valuable insight into why he's having second thoughts about returning to the city long-term. Although Dahama, the gruff but understanding founder of the company, shows him quite a bit of leniency, and his coworkers are friendly and supportive, Souta clearly feels like he's stagnating in this type of environment.

Hmm, it wasn't clear to me that's why he chose to go home. I thought he seemed in his element, and even though Poco wasn't dying from being away from Kagawa, he still made his decision based on what was best for Poco rather than himself (even if their needs turn out to coincide). The work emergency just forced him to confront this decision sooner than later. If he felt he was stagnating there, the decision wouldn't have been that difficult to make.

As for Dahama, he appeared to be visiting a friend in the hospital, overheard Souta and Nakajima talking enthusiastically about his website, and gave him some tips to encourage that. I don't need it spelled out that he probably struck up a conversation in the hospital room (since he was right next to the person he was visiting), since that particular detail is utterly unimportant. The rooftop conversation was what's important. And I won't be surprised if Team Planet is run by Tomoyuki Oonishi... Smile

I was really glad they didn't go with a BS plot device like this. Every time a series uses a character like Poco as a temporary plot device that has to be removed so that the protagonist can get back to his normal life it always just rubs me wrong.

Merida wrote:
Hey, we actually got to see some Udon for the first time! Laughing

I also think that Souta's decision to quit his job wasn't caused by any kind of dissatisfaction, he seemed to genuinely enjoy his work as well as to like his boss and his coworkers. It was probably a mixture of realizing that he actually enjoys the country life, a lingering attachement to the house his father left him and not wanting to abandon Poco.

Souta and Nakajima had it in the first episode. Technically there was the Udon that Poco ate before Souta could cook it too.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Something I really liked that I only noticed this episode, was that Sae is realistically....'soft'. Manabe is quite thin and fairly tall, almost angular, while Sae is short and just...chubby. Far too often we see softer ladies as comically obese, or 'can barely tell from the normal design' 'Hollywood-fat', even in these more realistic types of shows.

Her joining in on the dance was amazing. :3
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy that the monk also was also a dj. Definitely a combination of jobs that would elicit bemused reactions from people who know him from either job.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
I got a chuckle out of the faint machine gun sounds of Poco's seed spitting in the background while they were talking. Also the classic "box is better than the contents" moment on the train.

I kinda ODed on GaoGao-chan though. Half the episode, end credits and vignette was too much for me. I do wonder where that lore about lions throwing their cubs off cliffs comes from though.

Since they kept hammering on the theme of "they grow up so fast," it made me wonder if Poco will grow up? Back in the first episode the monk made it sound like Poco had been around for a long time, sometimes taking the form of a human child. Since he's clearly a supernatural tanuki and not a garden variety racoon dog, I'd think his life span would be different from a human, and he might end up maturing much faster or much slower than a human boy. That could certainly raise some questions down the line.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Since they kept hammering on the theme of "they grow up so fast," it made me wonder if Poco will grow up? Back in the first episode the monk made it sound like Poco had been around for a long time, sometimes taking the form of a human child. Since he's clearly a supernatural tanuki and not a garden variety racoon dog, I'd think his life span would be different from a human, and he might end up maturing much faster or much slower than a human boy. That could certainly raise some questions down the line.

Which bears the question of how did Poco survive before Souta came along? Did Souta's father take care of him? Does he even need someone to take care of him or is it just convenient for him?
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The monk has me worried that he might try to take Poco. But who knows? Maybe he'll be able to help them understand what's going on better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I imagine he'll end up being helpful. There aren't enough episodes left to turn him from a GaoGao-loving DJ monk for kids into a villain.

It seems to me like the whole situation is overblown. I guess I can see some reluctance in outing Poco at first, but now that we've gotten to the "it doesn't matter what form you take" sentiment coming from other people, the simplest thing is to just tell everyone who matters and let Poco be Poco, except when he's out in public public. That shouldn't be so taxing on him.

It's not like Souta can't prove that Poco is a tanuki. So which of these characters has shown in any way that now that they know him they wouldn't accept him if they knew the truth?
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
But people always talk, especially kids, and also Poco would start to get confused about who it was ok to show and who it wasn't, and soon everyone would know and he'd be a freak and tourist attraction at best. If people do find out, Poco would have to leave to stay safe and free.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
What kids? Poco seems to get it about not telling. The only other people that need to know are Souta's sister, Nakajima, and Hiroshi (who normally lives in Tokyo, so he could stay in the dark unless he keeps visiting all the time). Maybe the monk, but not really.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
^ The kids he's been hanging around and becoming friends with? If he's not going to worry about it anymore, they'll know. And if it's only a select group, how's someone who's a mental two year old going to keep track of who can know and who can't? That's doomed to failure.

Anyway, this week's episode was interesting to me because Poco manifested some powers for the first time in the anime. I was wondering if they'd keep him as he's been, or if they'd let him gradually change into the adult spirit he's meant to be. It looks like they'll let him grow, and it will be interesting to see how the humans around him affect that, and vice versa.

The rest of the show was particularly moving to me because I recently lost both my parents, and Rinko's dialogue across time with her mother was... well, yeah. It was handled nicely.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Really liked episode 10. My favourite I think. Bummed there's only a couple of episodes left, really with the manga was available in English.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder if the real purpose of this show is to raise the birthrate in Japan? Rin is getting pregnant, Nakaji is having marriage interviews and Souta is completely absorbed in his motherly duties...i sense a pattern here. And yes, i'm only half-joking...

I'm still liking this show, but it's got a bit... boring? There's not much time left and we still don't know a lot about Poco or whether or not Souta is going to take over the family business (at this point i'm suspecting he will, but that bears the question why the show even bothered to introduce his potential new employer earlier).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Now if Souta had been thinking and planning ahead, this could have been handled easily without trauma. Just carry ears and a tail in his bag, and when Poco loses it, covertly pop them on according to the drills they've practiced. Wink I mean, it's not like the idea is new to him, he's used the excuse before. Just needed refinement!

Seriously, I wouldn't be shocked if the monk rescued them in exactly that fashion. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3