• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Nanbaka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Unless I missed somebody, Samon Goku isn't just playing monkey with Kiji's pheasant and Kenshirou's dog to Momoko's "peach girl." Apparently he's doing double duty as Goku with (Inori) Hakkai and (Houzuki) Sanzo too. Not sure if we have a Sha Gojyo yet to go with that group, unless Godai's hatband is intended to evoke Gojyo's headband in Minekura's version. I haven't noticed any kappa lurking about.

I was waiting for someone to notice, haha! spoiler[Ruka Gojou is the final piece. Hasn't appeared yet, but his] VA was announced and he appeared in the part 2 PV. (Spoiler is just a name.)
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But...but...the sparkles! What happened to the sparkles? Why did everyone suddenly stop sparkling in this episode? Shocked

BY GOD, YOU'RE RIGHT!!! I was so engrossed in the episode that it completely escaped my notice. Laughing

I do remember seeing some sparkles when in Houzuki & Enki's scenes, but that's all. Maybe the lack of sparkles signifies the beginning of shit getting ready to hit the fan.
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Of all the references this show could have made: Seriously?
Ashymo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:

You don't read much shoujo, do you?
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty brutal episode. At least their actions were explained.

That was really funny watching Hajime get caught like that.

I'm looking forward to the next episode to see what Building 5 is up to.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ashymo wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

Fine, I don't. Go on feeling superior without explaining anything. No skin off my ass. I'm impressed enough that I flashed back to it, even if it was to a reference to a reference.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the talismans made them any stronger. It's just that Jyugo didn't want to fight Rock and Hajime is stronger than everybody, even Samon.

Good episode.

@wolf: I do watch a lot of shoujo and I didn't get it either. Snark for snark's sake often goes over my head though. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
^
It honestly could go either way and neither would be surprising. Yamato may be thinner, but he's constantly training and fairly strong. He'd stand no chance against Hajime either way; he's much less powerful than Samon, who we know can be defeated by Hajime.

I took Jyugo as mostly letting Rock knock him around rather than fight back. He promised a bit ago that he'd never use his powers against Cell 13, and it was already a shock that Rock was attacking him. Jyugo's also clearly experiencing some issues from Elf's visit, enough so that Seitarou notices and asks Hajime about it.

This episode was a bit slow at parts, but it did a fair job at introducing the mystery. Nanbaka has a fairly large cast, so it's nice that it also took the time to establish what most of the major characters are up to (even if it's "in the hospital").
Ashymo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Ashymo wrote:
wolf10 wrote:

Fine, I don't. Go on feeling superior without explaining anything. No skin off my ass. I'm impressed enough that I flashed back to it, even if it was to a reference to a reference.

It's classic shoujo manga reaction from the 70-80s. Usually the mean girl clique talk. There was a tumblr blog from a couple years ago, dedicated to a compilation of this reference from shoujo/josei manga and live action. It would have linked you to it, but it's deactivated now.

Another popular, classic meme-like shoujo reaction is the "恐ろしい子/translates: She's frightening. Originated from the still ongoing manga Glass Mask. A lot of shoujo(an non shoujo too) manga uses this reference. Ace wo Nerae and Gundam popularized it.
It even appeared in the Nanbaka, from the earlier episodes. To be specific the Karuta episode with Kiji. Here's a classic she's frightening reaction.

Maybe this tumblr could be helpful:
http://that70sshoujo.tumblr.com
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

Ah, there you are Gojyo! Very Happy Looks like all the Saiyuki gang are among the bad guys then. I thought maybe Sanzo wouldn't be. But then he's apparently connected to Enki via his sister. And Samon is caught between the sides, as is appropriate for his dual monkey role.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

So far this arc is shaping up to be much stronger than the first. Maybe because it's less reliant on comedy, or because the original author had more experience with story-building at this point.

Part of my enjoyment comes from seeing other cast members fleshed out, particularly Samon. I appreciate that, at least for now, it's not based on him self-reflecting. Samon isn't admitting that his views of Enki may be skewed, or outwardly recognizing that his hatred toward Hajime isn't exactly justified. A lot of this comes from Inori, who up until this point has mainly been a slacker side character. I think it says a bit about Samon's state of mind.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 also confirms that Jyugo isn't bisexual.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They help defeat the bad guys, but their role isn't essential to exploring the deeper ideas behind the story.

What deeper ideas do you think are waiting to be explored? This is your basic, by the numbers, friendship is magic in troubling times shounen comedy/drama, just with especially weird troubling times. If you're expecting much more than that, I think you'll be disappointed, though not having read the source, I could be wrong.

None of the above is criticism of the series. I'm enjoying it for what it is, and as far as I can see, they seem to have a firm grasp on what they want it to be, without any pretense of some loftier goal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was a bit confused at what exactly Hachiman's motivations are. I can't remember if the show ever clarifies this, but is he a part of Enki's coup? Or is he an independent actor who happens to be at the right place at the right time? It felt like he was most interested in getting his best fighters back under his wing, but I can't for the life of me see why he would care about being Enki's underling.

I admit I haven't been paying close attention to his motives, but my impression was that he's aligned with Enki's coup, but didn't really have a choice, i.e., Enki is just so strong he couldn't say no to him. That he gets to beat down his old underlings is just a nice perk for him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Questions: Which organs? How is he still alive?

My guess would be spleen, gall bladder and liver, given where the incision was. You can do just fine without the first two at all, and if you only take one lobe (or maybe two) of the liver, it will regenerate, barring other inhibitive factors, within 1-2 weeks. Which gives the whole scenario an even more horrifying implication... But he wouldn't have needed Qi's donations, though spleens and gall bladders are nice organs to have.

If they also took his pancreas, then yeah, he'd want that back, but Qi could probably get by without one, whipping up insulin and supplemental enzymes on his own time. He seems to be bristling with hypos, so a few more for himself wouldn't be a big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4