• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! IV TV Anime Revealed for Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
SOOO EXCITED AND IM GLAD THE OLD STAFF IS BACK

TEASER TRAILER WHEN??
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Yes!!! Finally some news. Very excited for more of this.

Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
I haven't read any information about the (light) novel, but i've read a scanlation of a manga spinoff titled FMP:Sigma, and its a darker and serious in tone regarding the events after TSR. Im not sure whether the original light novel retained the rom-com elements throughout the series.
the sixth volume "Dancing Very Merry Christmas " retains some of the rom com elements but after that the series does get much darker. And Sigma is the manga adapation of the series not a spinoff. It covers everything after the third light novel.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
XEBEC huh? Well most of the staff have worked on the other adaptations and the author himself is even doing the scripts so I guess it's all good. Hopefully Fall 2017 will be just as promising (if not better) as Fall 2014 and nowhere near as sparse as this year's Fall season.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad that we finally know a release date for Fall 2017 (and can put to rest that joke comment Gatou-san made about hoping it'll premiere before the 2020 olympics) It's a bummer that it's another year away, but if FMP fans are anything, it's definitely patient. Crazy as it sounds, it will have been 12 years once this airs since the previous TV series.

As far as XEBEC is concerned, they have specialized in mech anime for quite a long time. We know CG enhancements will come into play, but given what I've seen from them, they know how to give the right amount of weight and impact. I don't have too many complaints other than possibly having to deal with visual inconsistency with the previous series. I too will miss KyoAni's special attention to detail and fluid motion. They specialize in the character's movements and reactions with constant subtle motion rather than have static characters on screen. It was the perfect compliment to intimate moments in the story such as the haircut scene with Sousuke and Kaname. That will surely be missed and I only hope Gatou's input helps them make out the small details like that.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
I haven't read any information about the (light) novel, but i've read a scanlation of a manga spinoff titled FMP:Sigma, and its a darker and serious in tone regarding the events after TSR. Im not sure whether the original light novel retained the rom-com elements throughout the series.

Without giving anything away, you're right. There is a drastic tonal shift and you can't really put it in the rom-com category afterwards.

I kind of wonder what we're looking at episode wise. 1 cour / 2 LNs like TSR was would probably have the best stopping point. If it is 2 cour, I would think they will be finishing the series off... but that is 7 LNs so it would be incredibly rushed.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I kind of wonder what we're looking at episode wise. 1 cour / 2 LNs like TSR was would probably have the best stopping point. If it is 2 cour, I would think they will be finishing the series off... but that is 7 LNs so it would be incredibly rushed.

VMC is being covered as a radio drama, so while not impossible, it seems unlikely that it'll be included in the anime. More likely it'll be 6 novels, which still feels too rushed for 2 seasons if they're sticking with the 12/13 ep seasons that are common these days.

TBH even though I LOOOOOVE VMC with all my heart, I agree with the seeming decision to not include it as a part of a new main series. It would be awkward to start with it then launch into everything that follows. I was really hoping for it to get at least OVA treatment, but I'll take the audio drama happily (the seiyuu joking about it were wonderful, especially Yukana-san~! But the opening line about the announcement was "Dancing Very Merry Christmas audio drama! ...With exciting mecha action!" I'm still laughing)

Also mentioned at the event is a "Full Metal Panic! BONUS Ops" (working title) light novel. Written by Gatoh, illustrated by Shikidouji, and that's all the info they gave (that I caught anyways). No idea if it's a new series, but I presume from its working title that it's a one-shot post-main series that follows main cast (not the sequel characters)

Last edited by FeistyDreams on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
marek1712

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
OMG, AFTER 11 YEARS OF WAITING!!!
That's the best news I could get - been waiting for this event on 22nd for like eternity Smile
Good that they didn't continue with KyoAni - I preferred GONZO's animation (not to mention the length - hope S4 won't be 13-episodes long). Let's see what XEBEC manages to pull off.

Now the only name on the list we're missing is Toshihiko Sahashi. I hope they don't plan on changing composer, as he fits the show 100%.

Looking at the avatars I see some living FMP fans - hard to expect after so much time Wink
2017, with second season of Shingeki no Kyojin, will be a VERY good year in a long time for me as an anime fan.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
Looking at the avatars I see some living FMP fans - hard to expect after so much time Wink

I've been an FMP fan for nearly half my life, don't make me feel any older than I already do rofl
Peeps

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote
FMP was the first anime that I watched and my introduction to the anime world. We have all been waiting for this for far to long. Even though the next part of the story is my least favorite, I am glad we get a new season and hope that we get all the next seasons until the end. I am just thankful and really happy.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
is that cgi?

kinda looks like cgi..
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
My Baka Soldier is coming back and I hope he will hit the fan even more ^^
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
is that cgi?

kinda looks like cgi..
The picture of the Mech? No that's just a drawing, whether it's a still from the show or just promotional art I don't know. Even if the show uses CG Mechs the promotional art will be a drawing as it can be produced way faster. So we won't know until the PV if it is CG or Key framed, I'm guessing the former given the studio, but you never know.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm really stoked for this. Hopefully we'll get plenty Bonta-kun! I didn't finish season 2 which I really need to do, but season 1 and Fumoffu are some of my personal favorite anime.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:

Sigma isn't so much a spinoff as an adaptation. I believe Sigma adapts everything from novels 4-5 (what The Second Raid covered - Ending Day by Day) to the end. As for your question, it does, but things take a drastic turn in "Continuing on my Own", so those elements are nowhere near as prominent as they were in the earlier parts of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6