• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic! IV TV Anime Revealed for Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:

About that last point: does anyone know why the producers decided to hire Kyôtô Animation for The Second Raid?

My guess would be that Gatoh wanted KyoAni because his best friend Takemoto works there, he also got Amagi Brilliant Park adapted by KyoAni because of that.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
VMC is being covered as a radio drama, so while not impossible, it seems unlikely that it'll be included in the anime. More likely it'll be 6 novels, which still feels too rushed for 2 seasons if they're sticking with the 12/13 ep seasons that are common these days.

I was thinking about them skipping LN 6 like you're suggesting, and now I'm wondering if maybe they will skip 7 as well. Considering it has been a decade since the last anime so a lot of people are likely to be unfamiliar with it, LN 8 seems like a much better place to start the story for newcomers. LN 7 has critical plot points in it, but those could be covered by Sousuke explaining what happened with a flash back.

I would prefer everything just get faithfully adapted, but just throwing viewers in at LN 7 will be pretty hard for new viewers to follow. It isn't like they can waste episodes reintroducing everyone like some series do after long breaks if they want to finish the rest of the content.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait for the 4th season! I myself only have been an real anime fan for 3 years. A year ago i saw FMP on DVD thanks to the re-release by Funimation. You guys had to wait for over 10 years already while I only had to wait fora year or two and that already sucked lol, i feel sorry for you guys.

Im a little bit sad that KyoAni isnt involved, 2nd and 3rd season were freaking amazing.
Barciad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This has made me very happy.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
If you're in FMP for the Fumoffu-like stories, then this is not the continuation for you.

FMP! is originally a light novel series with two types of releases: There's the main story. And then there's the side stories.

Season 1 adapted some of both. The 1st 3 main story novels (there's 12 total btw) and then some short stories (Part Time Steady is 2 short stories in 1 episode, and Cat&Kitten's R&R). There were also 4 anime-only episodes (Is Narashino Burning!? and the Wind Blows Home arc)

Fumoffu is SHORT STORY ONLY. That's why it's all comedy and NO character development. That's also why there's character "resets," because the timeline of Fumoffu is ambiguous and there isn't supposed to be much in the way of continuity.

TSR is an adaptation of the two-novel 'Ending Day By Day' story, with a lot of extra stuff thrown in. A lot of the extra helped to fill the holes left by things that Gonzo dropped in season 1, and to reintroduce people to the serious side of things.

VMC is book 6, and is the last break we have before things get serious. That's also why I agree with it seeming to not be included in the main series, because the pacing would be wrong to include this bit of bittersweetness and then hop into the emotional roller coaster. I was hoping for an OVA at least, and I'll still hope for it to be an OVA with the physical release of FMP!IV.

Books 7-12 are all very serious. The setting is going to change. The characters are going to do a lot of changing. To give you an idea of the timeline, book 1 starts in April of 1998. Book 7 starts in January of 1999. Book 12 finishes in March of 2000.

We're in for a very wild ride. There's some comedy of course. The characters don't just suddenly change because the setting does. There's still some romcom elements sprinkled throughout, but that's definitely not the focus anymore going forward. It's a fantastic story, but if you just want lighthearted Fumoffu stuff, then look elsewhere because you won't get that here.

(Also, no Bonta-kun in the story moving forward lol)
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
For the love of god adapt Odoru Very Merry Christmas. There's no reason not to, pacing has nothing to do with it when he have the comedy from season 1 and Fumoffu to round it all out in the long run.

Volume 6 is one of the big reasons I wanted to see more animated FMP content!
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
If you're in FMP for the Fumoffu-like stories, then this is not the continuation for you.

FMP! is originally a light novel series with two types of releases: There's the main story. And then there's the side stories.

Season 1 adapted some of both. The 1st 3 main story novels (there's 12 total btw) and then some short stories (Part Time Steady is 2 short stories in 1 episode, and Cat&Kitten's R&R). There were also 4 anime-only episodes (Is Narashino Burning!? and the Wind Blows Home arc)

Fumoffu is SHORT STORY ONLY. That's why it's all comedy and NO character development. That's also why there's character "resets," because the timeline of Fumoffu is ambiguous and there isn't supposed to be much in the way of continuity.

TSR is an adaptation of the two-novel 'Ending Day By Day' story, with a lot of extra stuff thrown in. A lot of the extra helped to fill the holes left by things that Gonzo dropped in season 1, and to reintroduce people to the serious side of things.

VMC is book 6, and is the last break we have before things get serious. That's also why I agree with it seeming to not be included in the main series, because the pacing would be wrong to include this bit of bittersweetness and then hop into the emotional roller coaster. I was hoping for an OVA at least, and I'll still hope for it to be an OVA with the physical release of FMP!IV.

Books 7-12 are all very serious. The setting is going to change. The characters are going to do a lot of changing. To give you an idea of the timeline, book 1 starts in April of 1998. Book 7 starts in January of 1999. Book 12 finishes in March of 2000.

We're in for a very wild ride. There's some comedy of course. The characters don't just suddenly change because the setting does. There's still some romcom elements sprinkled throughout, but that's definitely not the focus anymore going forward. It's a fantastic story, but if you just want lighthearted Fumoffu stuff, then look elsewhere because you won't get that here.

(Also, no Bonta-kun in the story moving forward lol)

What do the mangas (Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! Sigma) adapt?
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
For the love of god adapt Odoru Very Merry Christmas. There's no reason not to, pacing has nothing to do with it when he have the comedy from season 1 and Fumoffu to round it all out in the long run.

Volume 6 is one of the big reasons I wanted to see more animated FMP content!

Theres no reason to think it wont be animated maybe the audio drama is to keep fans excited until the anime's release
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they finish the full story, but I hope they do it in more than one season. They did three books in 24 episodes REALLY well in season 1. Season 2 was mostly side-story content. Season three was two books in 12 episodes, but they were really long books. If they try to finish the entire series in a 24 or 26 episode season they will be hard pressed to fit the entire remaining 7 books into it, even if the last two books are really one big two part book.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
What do the mangas (Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! Sigma) adapt?

The first manga by Retsu Tateo adapts the first 3 main story novels, includes a handful of short stories and a lot of original content.

Sigma adapts all of the remaining main story novels, although it reordered things and went from DBD (LN 4&5) to OMO (LN 7) and then came back to VMC (LN 6) as a flashback between the adaptations of NOT (LN 10) and SBM (LN 11&12).

Sigma also included side story adaptations including Voice From the North (Sousuke origin story from Kalinin's POV), Birth of TDD (renamed to Birth of Mithril, Tessa's origin story from Mardukas' POV), Sad Notes, Faraway Shot (Kurz's origin story), Cat&Kittens R&R, Engaging Six and Seven, Tessa's Uneventful Day, Scene Before a Mission (a peek at the time leading up to joining Mithril, where Kurz and Sousuke fought on opposite sides and never knew it was each other they had encountered), and the hot springs visit.

Sigma is more faithful to the novels than Retsu's manga, though there were some things that were presented differently so people end up thinking differently than novel readers. spoiler[ie in the novels, it's clear that Kaname invented the Fairy Feather, but Sigma cut out the scene where she tells Sousuke where to find the flash drive with the plans on it, and they insinuate that Kudan invented it]

RE: the pacing I mentioned before. The thing to remember is that this is a release after 12 years of nothing. The anime has to be able to A) follow anime-only continuity (that's why TSR included a lot to fix up what 1st season dropped), and B) FMP!IV has to be able to stand on its own. You can't take the pacing from the 1st 3 seasons into account. Each new season needs to have its own flow or else it'll fail. And STARTING with VMC then going into OMO would not work. And skipping OMO altogether would be DISASTROUS. You cannot put that content as a flashback/narration, it's incredibly vital.

Unfortunately, VMC is more disposable. Don't get me wrong, it's my #3 of the novels (#1 is OMF and #2 is SBM2 in my personal ranking lol), I want to see it so desperately, especially for all the character development (and the scene at the end!!). But it would *not* work as part of the main flow. It needs to be separate, as an OVA or something like that. I'm hoping it'll be included as an OVA when FMP!IV gets its physical release(s), but I absolutely agree with their decision not to start the new season with it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
RE: the pacing I mentioned before. The thing to remember is that this is a release after 12 years of nothing. The anime has to be able to A) follow anime-only continuity (that's why TSR included a lot to fix up what 1st season dropped), and B) FMP!IV has to be able to stand on its own. You can't take the pacing from the 1st 3 seasons into account. Each new season needs to have its own flow or else it'll fail. And STARTING with VMC then going into OMO would not work. And skipping OMO altogether would be DISASTROUS. You cannot put that content as a flashback/narration, it's incredibly vital.

Skipping LN 7 and putting the major parts in flashbacks obviously has some major downsides, but starting with LN 7 doesn't work well with your second point. Dropping viewers into events with a huge cast of characters in multiple separate events at the same time basically requires the viewer to have previous knowledge therefore fails at standing alone. LN 8 deals with a much smaller cast of characters and basically follows Sousuke around. This would allow for a reasonably paced reintroduction of characters and organizations. I think this could also be accomplished with LN 6, but it does seem incredibly likely that is getting skipped with the audio drama and there just being so many LNs even with skipping it for 24-26 episodes.

I really liked LN 7, and I'm not really thrilled at the idea of it being cut up and fed piece meal. However, I think the anime needs to be able to stand alone, especially given the huge time gap between this and TSR. I don't think they can do that jumping right into LN 7, and I don't think they have time in the season to have a bunch of anime original content to reintroduce everything when even 7-12 is a lot of books.
FeistyDreams

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, don't forget that the first half of OMO isn't the major turning point. The beginning of it is slow, it's focused on Sousuke and Kaname and school, it serves a great reminder of things. There's also the elevator conversation in Sydney to reintroduce Mithril, and Tessa putting Spake in his place is a perfect way to bring us back into the TDD crew. The pacing of LN 7 is absolutely perfect to bring us back into the universe of FMP. IMO anyways lol
Tri-GuyDVD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:
Well, don't forget that the first half of OMO isn't the major turning point. The beginning of it is slow, it's focused on Sousuke and Kaname and school, it serves a great reminder of things. There's also the elevator conversation in Sydney to reintroduce Mithril, and Tessa putting Spake in his place is a perfect way to bring us back into the TDD crew. The pacing of LN 7 is absolutely perfect to bring us back into the universe of FMP. IMO anyways lol

So how many episodes do you think this adaptation will need to finish the series?
Rychy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Rychy on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
FeistyDreams wrote:

I think one of us is remembering how long that first section was incorrectly. It could be me. It has been a while. But I want to say it was 1/4 of the way through at most when spoiler[Leonard] shows up after which it is pretty action packed.

And if by elevator you mean when they get spoiler[bombed, kind of hard to convey the significance of Mithril's power in the world when you introduce them and immediately have their base blown up like it is nothing.]

Assuming similar pacing to the LN and them adapting LN 7-12, that is roughly 4 episodes per LN. So in the first 1/4 of LN 7 which would be 1 episode they would have to info dump Mithril, Amalgam, Leonard and his connection to Chidori, plus Sousuke, Chidori, the friends at school, and the TDD crew to catch new viewers up to people who saw the first series. That is a really substantial info dump, and just because they briefly explained who these people and organizations are doesn't mean it will automatically be easy to tell the significance of events.

There is a big difference between just telling you 'hey this is important' and showing you why this is important so that you get it without needing to be explicitly told. The latter can't be accomplished with a massive info dump. Starting with LN 8 would give them a chance to show the viewer why things are important where as starting with LN 7 would just be saying 'hey this is super important and emotional and by the way you are suppose to be cheering for these guys.' I think plowing through LN content while just telling the viewer they should care rather than taking the time to show why the viewer should care is what makes a lot of LN based anime pretty poor.

Tri-GuyDVD wrote:
So how many episodes do you think this adaptation will need to finish the series?

They could cover LN 6-12 in 24 episodes if they wanted. Other LN based anime have gone at that pace or faster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6