• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'll miss this show, but we do have a movie sequel in December, and I have no doubt that we'll get a new show as well.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Shame this is ending already. Sad

Perhaps with the success of the new movie, we will finally see the true sequel to DBZ.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love Dragon Ball.

Couldn’t have said it better.

Considering how relatively rare they are these days, I was happy we got a clean “toys back in the toy box” happy ending.

The whole time, I was banking on Goku VS Frieza at the end but instead we got Goku AND Frieza teaming up against Jiren. Made my inner fanboy squeal and watching the final 3 episodes back-to-back makes for an incredible viewing experience.

For all its faults, Dragon Ball Super was a crowd pleaser that brought the hype week in and week out. Thank you for reviving Dragon Ball Super, and the only thing better than this ending is we have so much more to come starting with that gorgeous new movie.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Perfectly fine and fitting ending there. No surprises at all but it was genuinely Dragon Ball and felt perfect. I loved it. The last bit of fighting there was probably the best looking stuff ever in DB, including all of the movies. Just mesmerizing. Nothing about it even felt rushed which was a surprise. There's obviously room for more and from the sound of everything, there will be. But if they decided not to then this ending would leave things off in nice fashion so they really covered their bases.

Loved that it come down to beating Jiren through a team-up of the expected (Goku and Freeza) and the unexpected. (Android 17) The writers did a great job of showing Jiren getting dismantled by teamwork something that has only been really done once before in DB way back in the Saiyan arc during the final fight with Vegeta. Loved that 17 was the last one standing and cheered out loud when he made his wish. Loved that Jiren now has the potential to be more than a super strong wall to be punched through should he return Loved that while he didn't do the most predictable thing and backstab the team, Freeza has no intention of changing his ways and Goku and friends know it and will be ready for him. Loved the final scene being Goku and Vegeta reacting their first battle.

Overall, while the series really didn't start out well at all with inferior movie rehashes and only a decent tournament arc, once Super hit the Goku Black arc and beyond, it really took a massive leap forward. And with the Tournament of Power, it manged to recapture the energy of the best of Dragon Ball/Z in all it's remembered glory while putting to good use members of the cast who hadn't had a chance to shine in years and giving us a boatload of new characters and concepts to once more expand the DB universe. And that makes it all worthwhile for me and willing to say that overall Super was far more of a good series then a bad one in end. As consistently good as the original DB and DBZ anime series? Perhaps not. But it is over 8 thousand miles ahead of GT.

In short like Sam, I love Dragon Ball.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
well for all those GT haters, don't count on your eggs before they hatch

i would not be surprised AT ALL , if the next adv after the movie will be an ACTUAL REMAKING OF DBGT!!!!!! considering on how much people liked SS4 back then, they pretty much have to do so and make it superior than the original gt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VegetaSSB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
131 amazing episode
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
Its been pointed out that the pose of Goku and Vegeta when fighting each other is identical to the Manga drawing of their very first fight (slightly different in the anime).
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Im sad to see it go but Im very happy with how it ended as opposed to GT that only left me with a sense of sadness and longing. And this confirms once and for all that the Super Dragon Balls CAN grant any wish
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
Almost 3 years of watching this on satuday nights, I'm gonna miss that, specially the last arc, waiting every weekend for it to come out made feel like a kid coming back from school to watch DBZ. Even with all its ups and downs I'll miss this show.

I love Dragon Ball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 40 of 40