• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
If memory serves, he already had spoken about that, and the gist is that they often do get the scripts, but what's in the script and the actual finished product aren't the same thing. Changes can, and frequently do, get made at every step of the production process.

Still if they translate the original script, they have a basis to go on when changes need to be made. Waiting for the finished product and then translating only makes sense for fansubbers.
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Though it means less money to be made, fewer simulcasts can mean better QC. If I ran a legit CR-like streaming site and it had 150 people under the pay roll, I think 5-8 seasonal shows (to start out with) means that more quality control might be assured.

You'd lose perhaps millions of dollars and shut down within a year with that model. No one's going to pay a subscription fee to watch 5-8 shows.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Which in itself is odd because speedsub groups had plenty of errors in their releases. So even for fansubs, there was always a you can either take this release asap knowing it was rushed and thus more error prone or you can wait for that other group to release it in 4-5 days.
At least under that system, the slower, better subs were the ones that managed to stand the test of time in the downloading scene. So if you were going back to grab a batch torrent of a series from a few seasons or years back, you were likely to get the best subs available. Whereas today, if you go back and watch various shows from 2009 on CR, you get the same shoddy subs that viewers saw when those titles were first airing.

Tylerr wrote:
I don't get what you mean, the only thing different about softsubs is they aren't burned into the video and can be toggled.

and if everyone is using the same player provided by the people who are doing the subbing (ex crunchyroll player) then if its viewable for one its viewable for all
There's a lot more to softsubs than an on/off switch. There's issues of font rendering, colors, positioning, handling overlaps, and probably more -- IIRC CR's subs can't have consecutive subtitles ending and beginning on the same frame, for instance. Justin covered some of those issues here, and it's worth noting that even fansubs could only use very basic textsubs (one style, no positioning, only bold/italic/underline modifiers) until the .mkv format came along in ~2004, if they wanted to softsub. Which most groups didn't.

Given all the time pressures in getting simulcast videos formatted and uploaded for a wide range of sites, players, and devices, it's no surprise that sites and companies would go with hardsubs, which are guaranteed to look the same anywhere.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Out of that group, even fewer actually care and from that group, only a micro percentage care enough to actually have a loss of trust.

That's kinda the problem, you pay for your shit, now you ask for better. All these other people have their hands in the sand.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

The thing is, paid streaming is only worth the money (and barely, at that) because it is a one stop shop. If the average viewer had to pay fees to multiple outlets in order to watch all the shows they're interested in, they'd say "to hell with it" and pirate some or all of what they'd otherwise get from the one stop shop.

They're not incompetent, just rushed. Even the best professionals make mistakes when really pressed for time.

I believe I mentioned in another forum article where multiple sites could compete for cheaper subscription models. Plus a one stop shot doesn't guarantee the incentive for viewers to watch everything in that one stop shot. It's like the netflix effect, have access to so much stuff that you eventually put it on the back-burner for god knows how long.

Tajima wrote:
Then we have the kids like bs3311 who has shown, throughout this thread, that he has no idea how things actually work in the real world (I think he even alluded to still being in school, which explains a lot)

If you're so interested in spewing rhetoric/ad hominem, then let me speak mine. I already graduated with my 2yr AVP degree (recommend I work on projects before I get my bachelors), and I know my sources from interviewers and convention staff that speak to these people and inform about deeper inter-workings within the industy. But whats really questionable is you possibly dissing the higher schooling system? which is like? Going to prep you for the real world? Who's the kid here that doesn't know who or what he/she/they is talking about?
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

If you're so interested in spewing rhetoric/ad hominem, then let me speak mine. I already graduated with my 2yr AVP degree (recommend I work on projects before I get my bachelors), and I know my sources from interviewers and convention staff that speak to these people and inform about deeper inter-workings within the industy. But whats really questionable is you possibly dissing the higher schooling system? which is like? Going to prep you for the real world? Who's the kid here that doesn't know who or what he/she/they is talking about?

Probably you, since that simple paragraph is riddled with grammar errors.

Which is ironic, considering the topic.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Wonderful.

Common user gives af about a user's grammar on a press website.

Doesn't give 2f for professional grammar for subs when it comes to Japanese cartoons.

Keep em coming
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Tajima wrote:

Wonderful.

Common user gives af about a user's grammar on a press website.

Doesn't give 2f for professional grammar for subs when it comes to Japanese cartoons.

Keep em coming

Oh, I'm sorry. Were you also under time constraints when typing your ignorant responses?
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry. Were you also under time constraints when typing your ignorant responses?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hit a nerve making you post back to such an, "ignorant response?"
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Tajima wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hit a nerve making you post back to such an, "ignorant response?"

No, you didn't.

I'm sure the irony is lost on you, though.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

No, you didn't.

Replying at all explains otherwise, quit hiding it. You poor thing.
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Tajima wrote:

No, you didn't.

Replying at all explains otherwise, quit hiding it. You poor thing.

So, that's a yes. Cool
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

So, that's a yes. Cool

Yeah, for you being a hypocrite Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It never ceases to amaze me how many people we have here who feel perfectly competent to tell a thriving business how to conduct their operations. Usually with the intent of having the outcome meet their desires and anticipations.

I always work on the basis that the existing management, though probably not perfect, knows more about their market as well as the company's capabilities and limitations then I ever will.
Tajima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
You can usually tell that such people have little actual business or economic acumen.

Apparently everything should be absolutely perfect, or nothing should be done at all. It's absolutely asinine logic.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
bs3311 wrote:

more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money.

The Ace Attorney games for example have grammar errors every game and yet Capcom hasn't lost any trust or any money over it.

Key wrote:

Frankly, I don't get bothered by subtitle errors in simulcasts unless they're really egregious, like a line missing, badly out of sync, an incorrect character being referred to,

I still get a kick out of watching an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh and seeing Joey's name come up for some weird reason.

And they better [expletive] fix those errors in the home releases.

Mistakes from a crazy rushed last minute schedule for simulcast? I can forgive that.
But, leaving that shit instead of fixing it for the home video release?

You better fuggin fix it. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7