• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has anyone ever written up their own anime series?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dannime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
I've always thought of writing up my own series but I just never have the time and I always wonder if I would ever be able to pitch it to production companies.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
No, I've never been tempted. I don't know anything about your situation, but if you happen to be non-Japanese, your odds of getting a pitch considered are extremely low. Oh hell, I'm going to go ahead and say zero, unless you are, say, Stan Lee. The vast majority of anime is adapted from manga, light novels, games and other sources. An anime series based on an original idea is extremely rare as if you needed even more reason to consider how tough it is to get a pitch considered.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I had a cool idea for, what I consider to be, the best Harem anime premise ever.

So, the first several episodes are set ups. The main guy gets with a girl in high school, they have a great, happy romance together, but just before graduation, she dies (perhaps murder, perhaps accident, perhaps health related. Haven't decided). Years later, in college, he gets with another girl. They get married, and she dies after a few years together. He gets with two more (each with a believable romance that sets them up to be his true love) but they each die as well. Eventually, the main guy dies (I'd say around episode 4 or 5), but the rest of the series takes place in the afterlife. The MC meets his harem, but this isn't just any harem. It's his past lovers, all having waited for him to come back. It would be a heartwrenching, dramatic, serious look on the concept of true love, and the possible consequences of holding your heart out for one person after many years apart. The comedy would be limited in favor of a more tragic atmosphere.

What do you guys think? Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that premise sounds pretty cool. Harems are almost always comedies, so you are going against the grain, but the general idea does sound intriguing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, that premise sounds pretty cool. Harems are almost always comedies, so you are going against the grain, but the general idea does sound intriguing.

The weirdest thing... I came up with it before I had seen a single harem anime through to the end. I was in this phase where I thought "Harem anime are all crap. What if I made a good one?" I wonder if that's how Urobuchi thought up Madoka. Anime hyper
Dannime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, I've never been tempted. I don't know anything about your situation, but if you happen to be non-Japanese, your odds of getting a pitch considered are extremely low. Oh hell, I'm going to go ahead and say zero, unless you are, say, Stan Lee. The vast majority of anime is adapted from manga, light novels, games and other sources. An anime series based on an original idea is extremely rare as if you needed even more reason to consider how tough it is to get a pitch considered.

Yeah I understand what you mean I definitely understand the limitations of this idea by being non-Japanese. It was just always a thought of mine, I thought it would be really cool to have my own anime. However, like you said, the chances are realistically zero to ever get a pitch to go through unless I spend a ton of money producing it on my own, which is definitely not a viable route to go down.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
The one potential ray of sunshine for a non-Japanese person in the future may be if an outfit like, say, Crunchyroll starts to get involved in actual anime production. But even if that happens, they may still just rely on creatives in Japan.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I write manga and doujinshi but I always struggle with formatting them properly because my characters talk way too damn much Anime hyper I just started writing a novel and so far it's leading me to plan better.

Most of them are about magical girls (big surprise) and bonding with the characters they meet, especially male love interests (another big surprise). One of the ones I've worked on the most though is about an ex-angel of love (cupid, if you will) training to become a shinigami because she got kicked out of heaven for causing a taboo romance (lol) and she's the worst shinigami ever because she has thantophobia (fear of death) and she has such love for living things and the one who's training her is the most cynical, cold-hearted, people-hating loner who is the exact opposite of her in every way and of course she is desperately in love with him..........yeah, it's a comedy with a lot of drama. Anime hyper

Interestingly, I always come up with characters before their stories. Maybe I'm better cut out as a character designer. Still, I don't think I could give up telling what I want to tell.
If I hear a song that fits any of my stories, I can picture animated scenes in my head. It's cool.....and very frustrating that I can't make it a reality. =3=
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch a comedy romance about an ex-Cupid who becomes a shinigami that is afraid of death.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad, Blood, I'm glad Very Happy
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Several times, just for kicks.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Yes.
Both an original series and a reboot to Kannazuki no Miko.

I wrote a reboot entitled "Kannazuki no Miko Reborn" with lesbian villains replacing mechas...with a small twist in the near end.
I am currently doing a sequel series entitled "Kannazuki no Miko Nexus", only it taking place in the big city and is more slice of lifeish but it has plenty of tension and drama.

An original series I'm also working on is "Magical Dream Warrior Megumi."
A magical girl anime that actually has yuri and it is central and important to the plot.
Yes, it male targeted like Nanoha, Madoka, etc. and yes, the girls are of elementary school age. No, it does not shy away from its yuri content as it gets heavy on the yuri later on in the series.

Then there is that AU one I talked about in another post...
If you would like to hear more, please feel free to respond.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, any work of fiction can be adapted into animation. So, anybody who wrote a work of fiction of substantial length has "written up their own series" already. Now to get an adaptation into animation by a Japanese studio, that's hard. Try publishing your idea as a light novel in Japan if it sells a lot it will be adapted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
I would say if you have a cool idea make something with it like a Web comic or light novel or something like that. If it's good and takes off, they wI'll come to you. Although, "they" will probably more likely be American entertainment industry. Also, I hate to say it because I personally like sharing ideas (on existing properties) but be careful about publishing your really good ideas if you are serious about it. First you should write a few chapters at least and file a copyright with the library of congress. The entertainment industry is ruthlesd and I've seen numerous cases where someone comes up with an idea and some industry insider sees it and makes something and it is extremely difficult to win a case against that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1