• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingsglaive FFXV, Miss Hokusai, The Red Turtle, your name. Submitted for Oscars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
Kingsglaive is out, Miss Hokusai and Your Name might have an chance, The Red Turtle is definitely in there but unfortunately Pixar will win with Inside Out.

I seriously doubt my prediction is off. We all know the Oscars are won with money.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Kingsglaive is out, Miss Hokusai and Your Name might have an chance, The Red Turtle is definitely in there but unfortunately Pixar will win with Inside Out.

I seriously doubt my prediction is off. We all know the Oscars are won with money.

Inside Out? Really dude? It's Finding Dory this year, and even then people prefer Zootopia.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
I think Kubo and The Little Prince have a good chance. There are a lot of good contenders this year so I seriously doubt any Japanese films will win.

Damn, I wanted to watch Bilal but I couldn't find any screening information on it and then I completely forgot about it.
#Hgeronimo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:17 am Reply with quote
Although i enjoyed all of them (the ones that i saw) i think Finding Dory is the winner. there's mix of nostalgia and good story which seems more preferable.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
I think Kubo and The Little Prince have a good chance. There are a lot of good contenders this year so I seriously doubt any Japanese films will win.

Damn, I wanted to watch Bilal but I couldn't find any screening information on it and then I completely forgot about it.

With the limited release TLP got I doubt they have the funds to campaign to the voters, which is what actually wins the competition.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a record 27 films have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category

I think you mean to call it "The Annual Disney-Pixar Award For Being Disney-Pixar". Or maybe we should just call it the "Kids' Oscar", since we've heard so many reports of Academy voters just asking their grandkids who to vote for.

FFS, I wish they'd get rid of this category. Let the all-time greats like Beauty & The Beast compete for Best Picture when they're worthy, particularly now that that category can have more than five nominees.

Also, A Silent Voice wasn't submitted? Miles was raving about that on the Crunchyroll podcast after seeing it at Scotland Loves Anime, saying it was much better than your name.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Also, A Silent Voice wasn't submitted? Miles was raving about that on the Crunchyroll podcast after seeing it at Scotland Loves Anime, saying it was much better than your name.

There's been no sort of release in the US announced yet, so it doesn't qualify for nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vesemir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Both Zootopia and Finding Dory are really much better movies than Your Name. If anything, the hype might help it.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
[quote="invalidname"]
Quote:

Yeah, I listened to the Anime Limited 'Scotland Loves Anime' (highly recommended btw, as is the previous year with Justin Sevakis and his industry horror stories) & was hoping it might get a submission considering how passionate Miles was. At least it definitely sounds up my street compared to 'your name', which judging by various opinions I trust, does little to alleviate the big issues I have with all of Shinkai's works (emphasis of scenery & heavy handed emotions over actual characterisation. Of course like CatSword said, if there's been no theatrical push, that'll bomb A Silent Voice's chance of being nominated by from the start.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I think you mean to call it "The Annual Disney-Pixar Award For Being Disney-Pixar".

Come to think of it, why does the Academy not allow each particular award to be renamed for the sake of sponsorship? "The Coca-Cola award for best supporting actor" would certainly accord with the ceremony's tawdry commercial character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think Jacob Chapman tweeted this year: "You really can tell how much the Academy cares about animation!" During the segment where the Minions were presenting. Laughing

Also Pete Docter won this year for Inside Out.

I'm probably going to hedge my bets and say that... Hmm. Kubo might get a shoo-in for the more technical stuff, Miss Hokusai, Your Name and The Red Turtle have a good chance... I really really really liked The Little Prince, shame that nobody else I know saw it until it was quietly placed on Netflix a few months ago and even then there's very few people I know who've seen it. (I have seen a few people bellyaching about some of the changes though, so I guess that might have put people off seeing it for themselves?)

Also... I do hope that the award doesn't *just* become the "Disney-Pixar" award, not that their movies don't deserve awards but it's just... there's no real contest in movies when it comes to family animation, they have the best techniques, the best funding behind them, etc. :/
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
The award means nothing at the end of the day because none of the Oscar judges actually watch all of the films in contention. Utterly disgusting when their job IS to pick a winner and how can you fairly pick a winner when some watch a handful (i.e. the ones they know like Finding Dory, Zootopia etc) and others completely skip the animation section because they're busy watching films from the other categories?

So year after year Disney/Pixar get the win and it's a shame because the judges don't know what they're missing.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
We all know how this will go: they'll just skip the "annie-may" stuff because anything from Japan makes the judges turn the other way.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess we've finally reached the "*insert popular anime here* is overrated trash" point in the exposure cycle. Something I always look forward to.

I do hope at least one of these films get nominated. Of course none of them have any chance of actually winning, because a lot of people really love Zootopia. And it isn't the "Disney/Pixar Award" either. A handful of films not produced by them have won the award. It's just that most years they genuinely deserve it because they put out quality films. Sometimes it does feel unwarranted (like with Big Hero 6 and Frozen imo), but other times, like last year with Inside Out, I feel like it's totally deserved, even if I would have also liked for a lesser known film to nab it instead. The judges don't have some conspiratorial aversion to Japanese animated films because Spirited Away won before. And no, that's not just because Disney distributed it, as they could have just as easily picked the ACTUAL Disney films that were nominated, of which there were two. And while I agree that the manner in which they decide on the actual winners of the award makes it irrelevant what wins, the nominations themselves are all chosen by actual figures in the animation industry, making them the most genuinely interesting part.

I feel like I rant about this same stuff every year when the Oscar discussion comes back around.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Doubtful any will so much as secure a nomination, makes me wonder why bother. Zootopia will probably be the winner because of its allegory to racism and whatnot otherwise it will probably go to Moana because Disney. Kung Fu Panda 3 and Finding Dory will probably round out the category for padding sake.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2