• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yohane the Parhelion -Sunshine in the Mirror- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote

This Spinoff:

Yohane the Parhelion -Sunshine in the Mirror- (TV)

Main Series:

Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV) (discussed here)

Source: Web Manga

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Sunrise

Genres: fantasy

Themes:

Plot Summary: The "story no one knows about a girl everyone knows" reimagines Yoshiko Tsushima, the school idol afflicted with chūnibyō (adolescent delusions of grandeur), as a fortune-telling girl. The story is set in Numazu, a scenic harbor town surrounded by the sea and mountains.

Ever since she was little, the girl Yohane has never fit in, and has always felt apart from everyone in town. Her aspirations and true place in this world lie elsewhere. The story follows this girl who can't follow rules as she journeys through this wondrous world.

Air Date & Platform:
July 2, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1 & 2

Ain't gonna lie... there were plenty of times in the first two episodes where I found Yohane to be really off-putting. However, I think we've turned the corner on that. I'm sure she'll continue to have bratty moments but I think it will be within parameters I can live with. No doubt I would be getting more out of this if I was familiar with the Love Live! Sunshine!! franchise, but not being so is no barrier to enjoyment.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I am still a bit behind on this one, but it is getting better with each episode. It started of weak with a very bratty Johanne, thankfully the rest of the cast make for some fun interactions and Johanne becomes a fair bit less bratty over time. The mystery is also decent and I like the fantasy yet modern setting.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:51 am Reply with quote
All up to date now and I can confirm the show keeps getting better as the episodes go by. Johanne is no longer annoying and the other characters are all quirky/entertaining. The setting is a bit of a hotpot though. They have magic, faries, future weapons, mechs/robots and spirit creatures. Basically anything goes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I had toyed with dropping this earlier as part of my effort to be "tougher" about my viewing choices, then changed my mind. I like it but it's definitely near the bottom of my menu. I mainly just like its atmosphere. The environment of Numazu is rendered in a fun, colorful way as are many of costumes and props. It's basically a Cute Girls Having Issues that Get Resolved in a Cute Way show, although there is a "darker" external thing going on that still hasn't been explained.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:03 am Reply with quote
I am particularly curious about Lailaps. She has done something to feel sorry for and she was also very against Johanna leaving the town. Was she the reason Johanna failed all those years in the big city somehow? Or am I reading too much into it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:51 am Reply with quote
I suppose you could be right, but I'm just not sure how Lailaps could've been responsible for her failure. Time will tell, I guess.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
You are right, but I can not think of anything else that Laiplaps could feel sorry for. The new episode is another good one btw. Riko got a fair bit of the spotlight and the episode deals with her issues which are not unlike those of her new friends. She can also be a bit obsessive when it comes to animals, that fairy scene made her look like a psycho.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote
With episode 7 the gang is now complete. It sure is a chaotic group when they are together, but they sorted it all out and grew closer. I assume that them singing together will peace out the purple miasma mist.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I have not been posting a lot here, but the show has just ended and it was a pretty great adventure. Be it singing, calm slice of life time to let characters breathe or a bit of action/tension, it is all there. The characters are fun and even the initially bratty Johane grows a lot. The anime succeeds in being a fun fantasy anime and still keep the Love Live feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1