• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seiren (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Seiren (TV)

Genres: Drama, Romance, School
Themes:

Plot Summary: Shouichi Kamita is an ordinary high school boy, who is faced with university entrance exams and worries about his future. This campus romantic comedy, “SEIREN” (Seiren means honest in Japanese), depicts his pure relationship with three different heroines. Each story is the unique and mutual memory between him and the heroine.
----------------------------------

Character design by the same creators of Amagami SS so expect them to look similar. The series are unrelated but the story structure will have a similar format that focuses on each of the main heroines. There's going to be romance and drama by the looks of it too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well this definitely gave me the Amagami vibe so far with the character design and setting. OP song is pretty atmospheric with a montage of the main girls.

Pacing feels slow at the moment but I do expect it to pick up more from here. Expecting the season to feature each of the main heroines in their own routes/arcs. Shouichi Kamita seems like a pretty average protagonist so far with an average personality.

The girls introduced so far are cute though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Very Amagami. The heroines although not bad looking, kind of lack a distinctness.

That girl is kind of mean, and so far her picking on the guy comes across like she is doing it because she likes him, which is a terrible way to do it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
I'm generally not a fan of these Amagami style shows, but I'll give this one a try. I wonder if Moe-nee is one of the routes?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

That girl is kind of mean, and so far her picking on the guy comes across like she is doing it because she likes him, which is a terrible way to do it.

Eh, it's wasn't mean-spirited but more of teasing someone. That seems to be her nature -- a playful girls who pokes jabs at you. Boys and girls just have different ways of showing their 'love,' I guess.

I'm loving the show a lot so far, it's relaxing and the small tidbits of info on the character is some thing I really like from a critic's view. My only real issue so far is the MC's denseness especially with the whole "Tsuneki is dating an older guy" ordeal. Maybe it's just Japanese culture to gossip like that but it seems like a really clear case of misunderstand, as in the older guy is actually her boss (or that's what I'm getting out of it).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Watching the third episode now and... were Amagami and Photo Kano back in the day this forced? Because that's about the most accurate description of the storytelling I can give this one. Or is it just me and my tastes that have changed, because I do remember having liked those two...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm just the opposite. I dropped both Photo Kano and Amagami pretty early on, but I'm sticking with this one (so far). I don't feel the "drama" is forced so much as kind of non-existent. I mean, there are three girls each with 4-eppie arcs. We are almost finished the first girl's arc and virtually nothing of a romantic nature has happened yet. I guess there is something that's keeping me watching, but I'm not quite sure what it is (I like fanservice, but fanservice alone is never enough to keep me watching. If so, I wouldn't have dropped Bikini Warriors after a single episode. Not that there is a ton of fanservice in Seiren.).
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
That was a rather underwhelming finale. After all the progression and hintings of mutual affection from both parties, it really didn't end on a high note. I would've enjoyed something more like a true confession scene instead of the kissing-at-the-beach scene. Though, I guess they might've wanted to convey a message like "I love you" without words.

It was also unexpected to see the way Tsuneki handle the situation with who ratted her out. I was expecting more delicious drama since that's what high school is all about but an unexpectedly mature handling of a betrayal in a game of love. I guess that might be why I had problems with the ending. It wanted to showed that the characters were maturing and growing out of their youth. The "lets not commit to our love and focus on our lives" thing doesn't roll with me, though. I can't see these high schoolers as mature with how flustered they get at each other.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Frankly it was a really boring end to an arc that seemed to keep building and then kind of did not go anywhere.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, it certainly wins points for having a gamer girl who likes anime and tokusatsu and she isn't treated like some sort of freak or outcast.

Shoichi's relationship with Toru is certainly off to a more positive start than with Hikari, but there's a completely different dynamic in play here. Going by that ending we're in for an inevitably "family member mistaken for boyfriend" development, though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The fact that "might have a boyfriend" itself is presented as a cliffhanger is enough to have me roll my eyes. I mean, I'm fine with wish fulfillment as a genre approach for having fun, but if "wish might not be fulfilled" is presented as drama, that drama exists entirely outside the context of the show, and wrenches me out of the show's flow pretty sharply.

I also just found this girl to be kind of boring, and their relationship to be pretty dull.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So after a "feisty girl, zero romance" arc we're now into "kind of dull girl, zero romance" arc? Cool.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly felt like there was a bit more chemistry with this new girl. I did find myself realising that I am really sick of that sort of scene where the male lead has a fantasy of the girl that turns him on, there is the stupid music and he acts shocked like this is not in his own head.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
So am I the only one who actually liked how this started off? I find that funny because I went in thinking I'd hate it because I'm not a fan of relationships where the girl is older.

Plus, the downside to these omnibus series is that you spend so many episodes of the guy being with the one girl the switch to another girl can be pretty jarring.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
No, i liked it as well. Giving the two of them something to bond over and eventally form a relationship is a good way to go
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3