• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Akko is just too fun to watch. I love how she ecstatic she got and it was amusing to see her friend troll her while she was napping in class.

I'm also starting to like "Shiny Day" (OP theme song) more now. Wasn't too impressed at first but it's quite catchy.

The academy lessons gave me a good laugh mostly because the instructor seemed almost too into the lesson lol. We also got Diana's debut in this episode, quite a haughty girl imo with her intelligence as a prodigy. There's an obvious skill difference between her Akko. Personally, I think Akko overestimated herself so she has to develop her skills more, a lot more. (I think that goes same for Diana too)

She has a lot of potential though imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
I like that they don't make Diane Cavendish completely a villain. Yes, she haughty, but she tried to explain that she wasn't the one responsible for "saving" the tree. Not very hard, mind you, but still... It's going to be fun watching her become reluctant friends with Akko. I wonder which premium card Akko was never able to get?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
It is interesting how the core character of Diana is almost the same as the original version.
By removing her passive aggressive tendencies it is understandable why Akko herself would not take kindly to Diana's words and the audience will take understanding that Diana is simply stating "matter of facts" that Chariot's antics years ago would be taken as foolish actions.
As for instructor Ursula, she is still quick of wit yet must conform with her role, she saw that the correct action was to wait it out based on observation where as Diana jumped the gun trying to "help" the situation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Hahahah!

Sucy made a leaf grow on Akko's head and just left it there!
Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like that they don't make Diane Cavendish completely a villain. Yes, she haughty, but she tried to explain that she wasn't the one responsible for "saving" the tree. Not very hard, mind you, but still... It's going to be fun watching her become reluctant friends with Akko. I wonder which premium card Akko was never able to get?

Wasn't it this one?

I hope every episode doesn't correspond to a different card, that would be pretty cheesy. Overall, I enjoyed the second episode. Not as much as the first, but that's always the case.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yeah, Sucy being among our main trio means our heroes are not above cheating. It was pretty funny, but it still had me a bit on Diana’s side. We were also introduced to Amanda, Contstanze and Jasminka, Amanda is especially a lot of fun.

Hopefully Akko will eventually get flying down to high-five Trigger-chan. There does seem a way to go.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That was a really fun episode! I kinda felt bad for Akko since she didn't have the natural talent like Diana to ride a broomstick. I do like how her friends are trying to help her though even if it comes with some extreme training measures haha (looking at you, Sucy). Speaking of Sucy, I think she's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in this show. The way she trolled her competitors was just priceless.

Somehow, I have a feeling that the Shooting Star will return in the future.

Akko does show that she has potential this episode even if it she lacks the natural talent of a witch. Hopefully we'll see her unlock that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
And THAT folks is how you do anime. Holy fudge, I give this episode a Masterpiece rating. It was flawless, imo. There isn't a single thing I would change. Everything worked beautifully: the animation, the characters, the story, the humour ... absolutely perfect. Trigger is knocking this thing right out of the park! I love Akko as a character and the animators are rendering her expressions wonderfully. I also love that we will (probably) find out how Shiny Chariot ended up as Professor Ursula. God, I love this show!

My only question is how Akko managed to come in second if she didn't finish on a broom?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And THAT folks is how you do anime. Holy fudge, I give this episode a Masterpiece rating. It was flawless, imo. There isn't a single thing I would change. Everything worked beautifully: the animation, the characters, the story, the humour ... absolutely perfect. Trigger is knocking this thing right out of the park! I love Akko as a character and the animators are rendering her expressions wonderfully. I also love that we will (probably) find out how Shiny Chariot ended up as Professor Ursula. God, I love this show!

My only question is how Akko managed to come in second if she didn't finish on a broom?

The one complaint i have is Amanda somehow stealing the broom. They really should've explained how that happened. Other than that, I loved this episode.

Also, kudos to whoever made this Laughing

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
I assumed she cast a "High Powered Broom Stealing" spell. Wink

I love how even the high powered broom had a satisfying character arc. And I suspect Stark700 is right ... we probably haven't seen the last of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I imagine she ran, giving credence to her sort of determination winning out over magical ability, she did manage to get pretty far before the broom she was riding flew off.

Akko's first attempt at flying was really how the first OVA began, and it was great seeing Trigger bring their Again with how they love to show speed, the sheer energy they can put into that.

Quote:
The one complaint i have is Amanda somehow stealing the broom. They really should've explained how that happened.

I think that it is pretty much one of her defining traits. At least in the movie, Contstanze was in trouble for mixing magic and science, Jasminka for always having food, and Amanda was for being a bit of a master thief.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
@ DP - not that I'm an expert on the old and venerable sport of broom-stick relay racing, but I would think one of the rules would be that you actually have to finish on a broom-stick. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that Akko's broom switch was particularly kosher, either. It'd be like having a car race and switching vehicles at some point or crashing near the finish line and getting out of the car to run across the finish line.

NOT COOL, DP, NOT COOL!!! Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It'd be like having a car race and switching vehicles at some point or crashing near the finish line and getting out of the car to run across the finish line.

Like in the movie Talladega Nights, which I guess spoilers if you are worried about that with Will Feral movies.

I m pretty sure the issue with Sucy obviously cheating should be more of a decider. Their rules seemed pretty lax except for the taking the baton thing.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm loving this show. Looks amazing, great energy, and a strong heart. Sucy is my favorite, and Akko is a bit annoying but I have faith that the show knows that she's right on the edge between being dedicated and self-absorbed, focused and insensitive, driven and just plain selfish. This Akko hasn't gone through the Enchanted Parade plotline, so I hope the brasher part of her personality gets tempered eventually as she grows closer to Lotte and Sucy (and Diana!).

And anyway, Sucy is a much bigger jerk here than she ever was before, and it just makes me like her even better. What can I say, I play favorites.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that missed it, the producer did an AMA this morning on (of all places) 4chan: https://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/152661646#p152662205
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11