• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I should have figured you'd done that ages ago. Anime hyper I need to get the book myself.

I didn't like Maleficent because it felt like watching poorly written fanfiction that made every other character look bad compared to her....but yes, the visuals were gorgeous; it was pretty to look at for sure.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

A rivalry between Akko and Amanda. What I kind of liked about the episode was how Diana was kind of right about a lot of things. Akko and Amanda's fight in the class did create a mess in the class that she was able to undo, and although calling them dunces was kind of uncalled for, she was asking them not to get random people involved in their scuffles or be more attentive. What Diana said to them in the laundry room could be seen as her gloating as from Akko and Amanda's point of view, but from Diana it was her delivering a message, and also warning them not to blindly get involved in something they did not understand, and she was actually kind of right. Their blindly running in got the girls captured by the dragon, that they are lucky worse did not happen.

Although her stating that she got others to fill in the roles needed from the lack of magic while not doing them herself, designating is probably the best skill a leader can have in a crisis. Diana seemed to be the only one who really had a handle of what was going on, being able to read the language made her even more than the teachers. You could call it being too perfect, but she still saved the day, and logically you could see that such an old debt actually would have been written without an interest. She was even right that if she is not careful her friends might not back her up, which was kind of a part in the parade. Akko is flawed, and that is kind of great that we can't just expect that she can solve everything, and really if the characters could really work together it feels like they would be even better.

Of course dragon wants treasure, and what do you expect from a chromatic dragon? Been looking around, and apparently reference wise, the dragon language was from Dinotopia, which brings back memories. And Akko forgot to add in chemical X.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Compared to some of the previous episodes, I thought this week's was okay but not as entertaining some of the others. I have mixed feelings about Diana right now. Really hope we more storytelling about her as I can't feel appreciated about her presence in the show so far. (maybe she'll change in the future?) I'm not even surprised that she's the one that figured everything out in the end. Felt like the others (Akko, teachers, etc) were like fools when they were confronting that dragon. Also, not many Sucy moments this week.

That being said, I like how they are keeping Amanda relevant in this show. She's one of those characters that I find pretty amusing to watch from time to time now.

Ending felt rather anti-climatic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Again, what I love about this show is you can just never predict where the story is going. I would never have thought that the Sorceror's Stone was repossessed by a computer-savvy, investment whiz dragon with a hunger for profit. Or that it would be Diana who would ultimately save the day. Some great humour, as always. I liked Robo-Witch as well.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
There is a more interesting way to look at this episode of LWA (rather, all of them, but this one in particular), and it's tied back to its origin. The first OVA was part of the Anime Mirai project, aimed to train and raise young animators to its spotlight, so when Yoshinari and co planned LWA, they thought of it as if a young animator who was inspired by his idols and decided to join the animation industry. Even on a meta level, that's also what happened considering Yoshinari is an incredibly influential person for those who worked in LWA, accompained by other masters like Takafumi Hori, Hironori Tanaka and obviously Hiroyuki Imaishi.

So just replace "magic" with "anime" and ta-da. Fafnir is basically a type of producer that does not give a damn about the artistic value of anime, just its numbers, but he's not inherently bad, Akko gives him hope that "magic" is still valuable, because at one point Fafnir found it valuable. Shiny Chariot, now Ursula, probably had too a burnout of "magic" too, and Akko represents a silver lining of hope too.

Probably Lotte had a more "art" related episode, but most of the cast have a correlation about a form of art and how they connect with it, even Diana, which makes her a more nuanced character.

The fact that this episode ended in a rather anticlimatic way is because it didn't intend to have an all out against the dragons or trying to escape, but rather have a way of saying that "anime/magic" will not falter against the numbers nor the pressure of the old ways and will keep evolving, at the cost of perhaps giving Diana a way too convenient ability that NOBODY ever had and nobody eveer bothered to call someone who knows the language (I mean, Diana must have learnt it from someone?). But eh, nothing breaking enough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention in my last post, but for those of us also watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, this is the second Fafnir we've met this season. They two are a little different...

@ Valhern - yours is an interesting interpretation but I'm not sure I'm persuaded that Fafnir is a stand in for the kind of anime producer who doesn't give a damn about artistic quality, only bottom line results. Only because we don't really know what Fafnir's views on artistic quality are. We know he loves money and is prepared to use underhanded methods to get more of it, but that's about it. He obviously believes that "magic" is disappearing, but again that doesn't necessarily tell us anything about whether he cares about quality or not I am more persuaded that magic may represent anime for this title.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Forgot to mention in my last post, but for those of us also watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, this is the second Fafnir we've met this season. They two are a little different...

@ Valhern - yours is an interesting interpretation but I'm not sure I'm persuaded that Fafnir is a stand in for the kind of anime producer who doesn't give a damn about artistic quality, only bottom line results. Only because we don't really know what Fafnir's views on artistic quality are. We know he loves money and is prepared to use underhanded methods to get more of it, but that's about it. He obviously believes that "magic" is disappearing, but again that doesn't necessarily tell us anything about whether he cares about quality or not I am more persuaded that magic may represent anime for this title.

I'm saying he has no regard for magic at all, or that he lost the interest he used to have on it, I don't think it has anything to do with "art quality", but its overall value. I don't think LWA even tries to make a statement about quality, otherwise we wouldn't have had an episode about Lotte being a fangirl of an in-world twilight, nobody ever talks about how "good" it is, but rather how Lotte and the author connect with it on a deeper level.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
My analysis of Space Patrol Luluco itself was about a love for anime, about it having a value to those that it means something when others might seem it as weird and worthless. So it is not too surprising that Little Witch Academia might have similar themes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but when you look at the quoted bit below, you'll probably be able to see why I thought you were talking about artistic quality versus bottom line.

Valhern wrote:
Fafnir is basically a type of producer that does not give a damn about the artistic value of anime...
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My analysis of Space Patrol Luluco itself was about a love for anime, about it having a value to those that it means something when others might seem it as weird and worthless. So it is not too surprising that Little Witch Academia might have similar themes.

Yeah, I also had that idea with Luluco, and a lot of TRIGGER's overall thematic is, under a lot of layers, love. In different ways. Not always the better executed form of it, but still.

Blood- wrote:
I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say, but when you look at the quoted bit below, you'll probably be able to see why I thought you were talking about artistic quality versus bottom line.

Valhern wrote:
Fafnir is basically a type of producer that does not give a damn about the artistic value of anime...

Yeah, it might be read as if I said that Fafnir is the kind of producer that does the bare minimum effort for a production to hold together, what I meant was that he does not see worth at all in the art of magic except for the money that brings him.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The most important question here is "How the hell does Fafnir type on a computer with those claws of his?" Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So we finally meet the boy from the OP: Andrew Hanbridge, son of Earl of Hanbridge, a childhood acquaintance (not friend) of Diana. Andrew is not a fan of witches or magic ... BUT I'M SURE AKKO WILL EVENTUALLY BRING HIM AROUND!!! Again, I love that the show doesn't make characters to be one-dimensional villains. Andrew could have been a superficial prig, but he obviously has a decent side. He wasn't overly perturbed by getting ears and a tail and he did keep Akko's secret. Learned a bit more about Shiny Chariot, too.

So, so much love for this show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Quite an entertaining episode! I think Akko and Andrew's character chemistry was really fun to watch. Andrew even seems to have some interest in her as he sees Akko in a different way compared to other witches.

I also kinda like Andrew's role in the show. At first, I saw him as a stereotypical prince like character but then turns out to be someone that I found enjoyable to watch as he's more normal than expected.

The part about Shiny Chariot was interesting too. I expect to see more of her memories throughout the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention above, but my favourite part of the eppie was when Andrew read the Latin inscription and concluded that they should proceed with caution ... just as Akko, in typical impetuous fashion, breaks down the door. Laughing Love that gal.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Lovely episode (Bunny Akko is so cute!), especially the part with Shiny Chariot/Ursula (just now I've realized that Ursula is for Ursa Major/Big Dipper and why she has a bear guardian). Even though I watch the episode twice, first raw and then with subs, the last scene still punched me well enough. Akko coming to the realization that she can't hope to suddenly get better at magic only because she has the determination to do so, but I also like that she's not expected (at least from what Ursula shows) to do it alone, because that wouldn't be fair either.

I'm okay with Andrew, seems like a relatively nice fellow, and I like the parallel in which his father teaches him lessons in a very cold manner, and although it does sound rational, he doesn't seem satisfied after seeing what he saw with Akko and Ursula, a more heart-warming kind of teaching.

At first I was a little perplexed that the Fountain was conveniently in the Luna Nova grounds, but actually, all Shiny Chariot related things have been or at least very close to it, the Shiny Rod, the flowers from episode 2, and now the fountain. I'm curious on the nature of the Shiny Rod and the Big Dipper constant symbolism, as we see that at first Chariot didn't have it and then showed up with it. For all we know this can go TTGL levels of crazy with Yoshinari here, even more so considering the menacing figure in the OP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11