• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime/Manga Couple?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't get what Ryuuji even sees in Minori.

She's a nice girl and one of the few people who didn't judge Ryuji based on his face. A pretty legit reason to fall for her.

If I recall her ditzy attitude is a coping mechanism for stress and such. Ryuji does see through that at times, particularly when they were trapped in that storeroom together. But it's not like she's a natsy person underneath or anything.

Taiga treats Ryuji like a dog from day one, so I don't know what he sees in her either.

I actually don't ship Ryuji/Minori, though. I just fixated on his feelings for her in my arguments because the series is also fixated on his feelings for her until those last few episodes.

I liked Ami the most.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
But it's not like she's a natsy person underneath or anything.

Nah, I believe she is actually a soul sucking monster out to devour Ryuuji's soul. She keeps acting clueless around Ryuuji even though there seems to be hints that she knows more than she lets on. spoiler[Her outbursts in the ski resort place and during the valentine's day thing near the end, makes me think that she's not as nice as she seems to be.]

Quote:
Taiga treats Ryuji like a dog from day one, so I don't know what he sees in her either.

Taiga is a loli tsundere voiced by Rie Kugimiya so all is forgiven. Wink Besides she's not that bad when compared to someone like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (who is too adorable and fragile to hate).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Nah, I believe she is actually a soul sucking monster out to devour Ryuuji's soul. She keeps acting clueless around Ryuuji even though there seems to be hints that she knows more than she lets on. spoiler[Her outbursts in the ski resort place and during the valentine's day thing near the end, makes me think that she's not as nice as she seems to be.]

The thing there is that spoiler[she's aware of Ryuji's feelings for her and she reciprocates but she also knows that she can't date him because Taiga needs Ryuji. She was denying her own happiness for the sake of Taiga. Ami knew this and kept needling her about it until she snapped.]

Cam0 wrote:
Taiga is a loli tsundere voiced by Rie Kugimiya so all is forgiven. Wink Besides she's not that bad when compared to someone like Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (who is too adorable and fragile to hate).

No one can be as bad as Louise. Louise needs to die in a fire.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I think you are just being too cynical. Minori is a perfect angel who sparkles like the sun and who is so dazzlingly brilliant that I cannot watch the series with her in it.

On the subject of idealizing one's romantic interest, I do not have a problem with it. In fact, the relationship between Shirayuki and Zen in Snow White with the Red Hair seems to be built around this type of mutual idealization, with each one letting the other drive her to better herself in a cycle of mutual support and reinforcement. It is an excellent and uplifting story to see, that little voice of cynicism in the back be damned.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The thing there is that spoiler[she's aware of Ryuji's feelings for her and she reciprocates but she also knows that she can't date him because Taiga needs Ryuji. She was denying her own happiness for the sake of Taiga. Ami knew this and kept needling her about it until she snapped.]

Well, yeah. I believe spoiler[Minori says to Taiga near the end that Taiga shouldn't deny her own happiness for Minori's sake. Yet, Minori does that exact thing.]

Quote:

You evil man. How could you hate someone who blows you up for the most minor thing and literally treats you like a dog. At least she doesn't try to get between an established couple by constantly shoving her boobs in the guy's face like a certain maid.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Chiibi

Over the top praise like that is usually an indication that someone is imposing their own image on their crush without reference to the real person. It seldom survives interaction with the actual person.

Right? That's why I don't like it.

@Cam: Ryuuji describes her as "exactly the way a girl should be". So he has specific standards for a girlfriend and she meets these standards. But yeah...it's infatuation at best.

Quote:

Kirino is worse, imho. She plain pisses me off.

Quote:
On the subject of idealizing one's romantic interest, I do not have a problem with it. In fact, the relationship between Shirayuki and Zen in Snow White with the Red Hair seems to be built around this type of mutual idealization, with each one letting the other drive her to better herself in a cycle of mutual support and reinforcement. It is an excellent and uplifting story to see, that little voice of cynicism in the back be damned.

That's the thing with ZenYuki though; IT'S MUTUAL from the start. And it takes a decent amount of time for them to become as in love as they are. It's balanced, healthy, and makes sense. It doesn't feel shallow or superficial; it feels real. And yeah, those two are such a lovely pair.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
For couples, I have two. One is heterosexual, the other ALL THE GAY.

The heterosexual couple is Holo and Lawrence from Spice and Wolf. To me, their relationship is the main reason why people should see this show. At the end of the day, you're watching two people growing closer together through every turmoil that comes their way. Both Lawrence and Holo are likable characters in and of themselves, and they play off of each other nicely. Lawrence is street-savvy but doesn't always know what the right thing to do is, while Holo is intelligent but prideful. It also helps that J. Michael Tatum and Brina Palencia have amazing chemistry.

The gay couple is Yuri and Victor from Yuri On Ice. I have seen all seven of the dubbed episodes so far and eagerly await more. The entire story is following two men learning to overcome their flaws through the power of love. It's Victor's support that leads Yuri to finally being able to love himself, and it's Yuri's honesty that leads Victor to stop being so insensitive, even if he doesn't mean to. Like with Holo and Lawrence, Yuri and Victor are lovable characters on their own. Heck, Yuri may be one of the most relatable protagonists I've seen in anime. I can't wait to see the rest of this amazing thing.

[Love! Knows! No! Gender!]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Kirino is worse, imho. She plain pisses me off.

Does Kirino own a riding crop? No? Then Louise is worse.

The thing is I thought their relationship development in season 1 was good and I was happy with it at the end... But then season 2 came along and ruined everything by resetting things to zero.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 am Reply with quote
I agree that the season 2 reset was annoying, but I think that Louise is still characterized better to justify her behavior. She lacks self-esteem and is known to be the worst mage in school. She still has pride though because she is highborn so that kinda leads to her trying to act like a noble. So while she acts like she's full of herself, she actually isn't. She constantly needs Saito to reaffirm his feelings because she has no confidence. She still tries her best to win Saito's affection, but whenever they're about to kiss or more they get interrupted, and then she gets embarrassed and tries to hide it by lashing out on Saito. But when she's happy, she gets super cuddly and you just can't help but want Saito to protect her. Those two actually fight all the time, but then quickly realize how they can't be separated and then they make up.

Kirino is just full of herself. She is confident and acts like a b****.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
She constantly needs Saito to reaffirm his feelings because she has no confidence.

That's kinda the problem. Saito is literally on top of her going "I love you I love you I love you" and yet she still doesn't believe him? Not to mention all the physical abuse she dishes out.

But I guess I can't blame her. Every other girl is a better choice than her, so much so that I kinda think Saito only loves her because familiars are magically compelled to love their masters.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's kinda the problem. Saito is literally on top of her going "I love you I love you I love you" and yet she still doesn't believe him? Not to mention all the physical abuse she dishes out.

It's not that she doesn't believe him, she's just not confident that she is good enough for Saito. Saito is surrounded by a ton of hot girls so it's not that surprising. But she still tries her best.

The other girls keep trying to win Saito over despite knowing that Saito and Louise are together. There's a particularly egregious scene in the final season spoiler[where Saito and Louise are getting really intimate and advance to bedroom only to find someone hiding under the sheets. It turns out to be Siesta who immediately tries to seduce Saito, who instead being pissed off about Siesta ruining the moment, just goes "Oooh, boobies!" LOL. The queen is no better.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
It's not that she doesn't believe him, she's just not confident that she is good enough for Saito. Saito is surrounded by a ton of hot girls so it's not that surprising. But she still tries her best.

Yeah, well, under normal circumstances her constant whipping of him wouldn't be helping matters. I'd dump her in an instant but I guess Saito is a masochist.

I'm okay with tsundere abuse normally, but Louise crossed a line.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
She lacks self-esteem and is known to be the worst mage in school. She still has pride though because she is highborn so that kinda leads to her trying to act like a noble. So while she acts like she's full of herself, she actually isn't. She constantly needs Saito to reaffirm his feelings because she has no confidence. She still tries her best to win Saito's affection, but whenever they're about to kiss or more they get interrupted, and then she gets embarrassed and tries to hide it by lashing out on Saito. But when she's happy, she gets super cuddly and you just can't help but want Saito to protect her. Those two actually fight all the time, but then quickly realize how they can't be separated and then they make up.

That sounds like an extremely unhealthy relationship where Louise is in an essentially all take and no give situation, where she is almost endlessly feeding off Saito's one-sided display of affections and devotion to validate her ego. The limited displays of affections on her part by no means make up for the abuse she heaps on Saito nor her taking him for granted.

Flip the genders, and you have a classic case of the dead-beat, abusive boyfriend and a battered and traumatized girlfriend.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yeah, well, under normal circumstances her constant whipping of him wouldn't be helping matters. I'd dump her in an instant but I guess Saito is a masochist.

I don't like the physical abuse either and I don't find that Louise is justified to do so, but at least there's believable reason for it. Her circumstances lead to her personality which I can't really say for Kirino. Besides, I just shrug it off as cartoon violence that's not to be taken seriously anyway.

Raftina wrote:
where she is almost endlessly feeding off Saito's one-sided display of affections and devotion to validate her ego.

This isn't true at all. She definitely shows affection even though she might be clumsy in her attempts. The abuse is comedic in nature so obviously the show and Saito do not take it all that seriously. If Saito was seriously traumatized and hurt by the abuse, then the situation would be entirely different. Of course, she does need Saito to sometimes reaffirm his feelings towards her, but that isn't to inflate her ego or because she doesn't believe in him. In a way that might be a real pain in the ass, but the two of 'em are head over heels in love with each other and that's all that matters to me. It's fiction so I don't really care how "healthy" their relationship might be as long as both of them are happy.

Louise's intentions are good. The abuse is mostly played as comedy while Louise's real feelings are shown to be pure and sincere. Kirino doesn't show this kind of affection nearly as much, and her behavior isn't as justified. She's just a jerk because that's who she is.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Just remembered a title that is a good example of having the right girl win and not necessarily the main one.

Spoilers for The World God Only Knows: spoiler[I suppose Elsie was technically the main heroine, but nothing even remotely romantic developed between her and Keima. She kept up the sibling act until the end where she rewrote reality to become his real sister.

For awhile they were kind of pushing Ayumi as the main heroine too. She was the first girl he conquered and the last one he needed to reconquer at the end of the Goddess Arc. I really did think that meant she'd inevitably win, but the best girl for Keima was the victorious one.

Chihiro was the only conquest that Keima didn't have to try for. All the other girls he assumed some kind of role to win them over but Chihiro fell in love with the real Keima. And it's even revealed she liked him before the loose soul stuff happened. She also doesn't fit into a neat category that Keima knows how to deal with. She's constantly throwing him off his game which forces him to treat her like a person rather than some archetype. And that's precisely why he fell in love with her. Even before she became a conquest target she was the only 3D girl to get any kind of reaction out of him (the cockroach incident) and he did worry about her after her current crush rejected her.

They both have prickly personalities so their relationship might be a rocky one, but it was the right way to end the series.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14