• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There Too Much Anime Being Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Every time someone makes a big deal about how much anime is being made, I think people tend to blow things out of proportion. The person asking the question cites at least 80 shows airing this season. But aren't like half of those shorts and shows aimed at children, which are financed by tv channels, toy makers and other companies?

If the other 40 series are late night shows made for the otaku market, that is still a significant number, but I assume that the Aniplexes and Bandais of the world are financing that many shows because there is a high demand right know. This year discs sales are down, and I imagine we will see less shows in the upcoming seasons.

Aniplexes and Bandais are putting some money is some shows but most money comes from the big Manga/LN publishers.

I talked about this before but just look how many times you see the name Kadokawa at the end of the show. That's were the money come from to make most of this anime.
They don't care about TV audiences, streaming or BD/DVS. They look at LN/manga sale numbers.

As long as they have manga/LN to promote there will be this much anime made.
And as long the studios are receiving money from the publishers to make manga/LN anime, the studios can make original anime like Madoka and Yuri.

So how much anime is made, will come to how long publishers will see anime as a good medium to promote their manga/LN.

And about anime from the 90s early 2000 been remembered, there were less anime than now and is easy to remember. Same as TV series from the 80 and 90 been easy to remember than the new ones.
Now, people are looking for the next great thing. Everything is disposable and are forget next day. Even One Punch Man will be forget in the sea of new shows.

And in the 90s early 2000 there were as much bad shows as now.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

You would if you lived in Japan. Osomatsu-san is everywhere there, and it was the first anime in 15 years to have two consecutive volumes reach #1 on the DVD sales charts. Definitely a mega-hit among female Japanese anime fans.

I see some japanese Cosplay conventions and Love Live, KanColle and Osomatsu-san are the biggest shows there.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:

I just don't see why it's so important to label things as so-called "classics". It all comes down to taste in the end. How is it reassuring to know that a million other people share an opinion that a show is "good" or "great"? Being part of the mainstream hive-mind doesn't necessarily make an opinion or a show superior.

At least to me, what we meant by "classics" was whether or not a show was remembered in the anime consumer collective memory, or sparked a marketing phenomenon. Taste is, of course, extremely subjective.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
MrFox123 wrote:
Summer 2016 season just ended and there's no one talking about series like Re Zero, Mob 100 or some of the gems in just the earlier seasons of this year.

I guess it depends on how you define "talking about." Everyone discusses what is currently airing. But when was the last time you saw an ongoing discussion of any series that was not currently airing? You have to look in very niche places to find such conversations (like websites dedicated to a series). That someone cares enough to create and maintain those sites is probably some gauge of quality and longevity though (or obsession, if they're talking to themselves).

People will talk about any series if someone brings it up, but someone bringing it up isn't generally related to whether it's a "classic" or not. Aside from "what are you watching" type discussions and new physical release reviews, it usually starts with some other topic and a title is given as an example, which might launch a discussion of it. Mostly people say what they have to say about it while it's airing (or re-airing on tv) and unless someone says something really controversial or shockingly profound, it's hard to generate new discussion after that, even when recent viewers lob in with their two cents. Outliers like Attack on Titan would suffer the same fate without their ongoing manga, movies, OVAs and merchandising (not to mention upcoming new seasons) to depend on to keep generating discussion.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
In terms of volume of anime being produced, I think the difference between a burst & a mere readjustment will be if one of the big three book publishers, specifically Kadokawa, decide late night anime produced by Japanese animation studios is no longer a priority in their cross-selling marketing strategy, or if one of them withdraws from the market entirely. After all, they're the ones who pay for most of what gets made & they're all still struggling to one degree or another to adjust to a world where paper sales are tanking & domestic demand is shrinking simply by virtue of a rapidly aging & shrinking population.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Since i started watching anime (around 2009 or 2010), i'd argue that the indisputable classics/legacy/super popular titles are:
Attack on Titan (why there hasn't been another season yet baffles me)
Kill la Kill (or is this just me? Aniplex owning this could limit the re-packaging strategy)
Madoka Magica
One Punch Man

This is a good list. I'd say that it's not just you, Kill La Kill definitely has a place there, as it's still generating fan discussion and selling merch today, three years after its premiere. How many other 2013 shows still have a following now?

That said, I would add the Fate franchise to this list, as it remains highly popular and talked-about, and has another TV series and movie on the way, and also Osomatsu-San, which has a strong cult following in the states and is MASSIVELY popular in Japan.

Merxamers wrote:
I could go on, but in short i agree that there's simply too much product for much to stick around. We don't even have a new shonen staple; My Hero Academia was only 13 episodes, and Naruto will be winding down within a year or two.

Academia is getting another season (and likely will just keep getting more as long as the manga is popular) and I'm willing to bet that when Naruto's filler material finally runs dry, we'll get a Boruto anime that runs for a million years.

But yeah, it's been a long time since we got a new big shonen franchise. I'm sure the big shonen publishers are feeling that as much as anyone.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

But yeah, it's been a long time since we got a new big shonen franchise. I'm sure the big shonen publishers are feeling that as much as anyone.

The big problem with long running shonen anime is they are depended on TV station money, in the case of Naruto, TV Tokyo.
Late night anime payed by publishers are in the range of 13-25 episodes. To have a 500+ episode shows you have to get a big sponsor and a TV station to pay the bills and TV stations are investing less and less in shonen anime.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'd like to see those statistics, please.

http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

Only Japanese version available at the moment. I'm completely astonished that ANN does not apparently study these industry reports at all.

I do not speak or read Japanese so unfortunately the raw link doesn't help me. Can you cite specific figures from it that proves your contention that, based on the number of animated minutes made, the industry is in decline from 2006. Because I find that very hard to believe.

I think he's referring to this graph: https://i.imgur.com/DsVm0Hr.png.
Indeed 2006 is the peak, but I wouldn't say it's declining as the average annual production minutes is still higher compared to a decade ago.
Apashi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
This was a good question. It just adds to my perception about anime really not being what it used to be before 2008 or so. Nothing is sticking and the only things that are aren't really my taste. The moe effect maybe? But anyway the only way to break out of this really in my view is to get 1 or more shows that are completely different. Something that's really amazing and unique to anime (or manga) that will make people have to pause an watch. And then of course it has to remain good and not be on hiatus for 4 years *hinthint*
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
@ SaneSavantElla: interesting, thank you. I now understand why in my personal perspective, there seems to be more anime than before. As it happens, I didn't start watching anime until 2009 and didn't really start following "currently airing" anime until 2010. Those years correspond to the trough of produced mintues after 2006. By 2011, the number of produced minutes was climbing again. So, yeah, from my personal perspective I understand why there seems to be more anime - because there is. I guess if I'd been around in the Bubble Years, I would have had a different impression.

Last edited by Blood- on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'd like to see those statistics, please.

http://aja.gr.jp/jigyou/chousa/sangyo_toukei

Only Japanese version available at the moment. I'm completely astonished that ANN does not apparently study these industry reports at all.

I do not speak or read Japanese so unfortunately the raw link doesn't help me. Can you cite specific figures from it that proves your contention that, based on the number of animated minutes made, the industry is in decline from 2006. Because I find that very hard to believe.

I can read Japanese and that's a correct summary of the report. Late night anime has recovered to the same point as the 2006 peak, but the regular daytime minutes are way down still, and the total is down. The story in late night shows is a massive increase from almost non-existent in 2000 (I remember a friend mentioning Jubei-chan in 1999 as one of the first of these new-fangled late night shows that was going to be only 13 episodes) to 2006, then decline from 2006 until 2010, and then an increase from 2010 to 2015. The story in daytime shows is steady from 2000 to 2006, then a decline from 2016 to 2010, and then plateauing. There's a whole middlebrow of daytime anime with wider audiences that is gone, fled to the more niche late night shows.

That's for total minutes. There's also been a big shift towards shorter 13 episode series, so the number of series overall in a year is at an all time high, even though, yes, it declined from 2006 to 2010 before rebounding. The fact that there's more shows masks that the number of minutes is down, but I can see how it would give people a different impression.

A big part of the story is, as the Answerman said, foreign money, which exploded again in 2015 (and is related to Crunchyroll and Funimation getting together to collude).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
@ John Thacker - thank you, that information is useful as well.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
Indeed 2006 is the peak, but I wouldn't say it's declining as the average annual production minutes is still higher compared to a decade ago.

That's the total graph. If you look on the previous page you can see it split into daytime and late night, which shows some interesting patterns, as I mentioned in my other post. Outside of the big Jump titles on Saturday morning, late time shows are (now) much more likely to be what foreign fans are looking for, and those are above the 2006 peak. But I also remember a time when things like Utena were broadcast at normal hours: Utena was shown Thursdays at 6 pm on TV Tokyo, something almost unthinkable now for a show of that nature! Evangelion was shown in the prime after school time slot until PTA groups complained.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Apashi wrote:
This was a good question. It just adds to my perception about anime really not being what it used to be before 2008 or so. Nothing is sticking and the only things that are aren't really my taste. The moe effect maybe?

I'll always remember Mike Toole's response to the idea that pre-moe shows are fundamentally different from moe shows:

John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Apashi wrote:
This was a good question. It just adds to my perception about anime really not being what it used to be before 2008 or so. Nothing is sticking and the only things that are aren't really my taste. The moe effect maybe?

I'll always remember Mike Toole's response to the idea that pre-moe shows are fundamentally different from moe shows.

It is a hilarious response about character designs, but I think that there is very much something to the idea that the shift from daytime shows aimed at a broad audience to late night shows has caused fundamental changes in the nature of shows. Intended audience does affect things. Current late night shows are more like older OVAs, and many current OVAs are more mass titles like Gundam, Yamato, and Code Geass.

I wouldn't say that it's all to the bad, any more than similar effects in US TV have given us niche shows like Game of Thrones or Westworld.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
SaneSavantElla wrote:

That's the total graph. If you look on the previous page you can see it split into daytime and late night, which shows some interesting patterns, as I mentioned in my other post. Outside of the big Jump titles on Saturday morning, late time shows are (now) much more likely to be what foreign fans are looking for, and those are above the 2006 peak. But I also remember a time when things like Utena were broadcast at normal hours: Utena was shown Thursdays at 6 pm on TV Tokyo, something almost unthinkable now for a show of that nature! Evangelion was shown in the prime after school time slot until PTA groups complained.

Oh, you're right. This one: https://i.imgur.com/ykSZ07l.png.
So it's possible that regular programming is in decline not only because there's more focus for late-night shows, but also because those shows that would have passed for daytime airing in the past are now deemed too inappropriate? Interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10