• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Grave of the Fireflies Tops Poll of Anime's Most Miserable Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I know it's kinda obscure, but Texhnolyze HAS to be on this list. Some of these endings might as well be upbeat in comparison to that ending.

Yes, I was about to talk about that one. Texhnolyze is definitely (and easily) top this list. What an ending.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
They don't do series like Texhnolyze anymore. One of my favorite shows. The ending always hits the spot.

spoiler[ The main character loses his reason to live and dies all alone between two f*ck up worlds]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I thankfully haven't sat through any miserable endings in anime....technically I did sit through Texhnolyze but I don't remember much about it's ending thankfully.
grouwl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
WELL DOOOOOO'H!!!

I dare you find more tragic anime shows and movies than The Grave of the fireflies, Barefoot Gen and Remi's nobody's boy Smile
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
FMA 2003 isn't a show I'd peg as having a "miserable ending." The TV series proper could maybe be viewed as a bit melancholy, with spoiler[Ed stuck in our world and separated from everyone else], but the final scenes definitely portrayed things with a hopeful note. Conqueror of Shamballa was somewhat of a narrative mess (and honestly I found it unnecessary as a whole), but even then I didn't get any sort of tragic vibe, unless those surveyed were bummed at spoiler[no Ed x Winry Good End].

Now Texhnolyze...dear lord yes. One of the most nihilistic endings I have ever seen, though even then not without the tiniest glimmer of hope.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The presence of certain Yoshiyuki Tomino shows comes as no surprise, though it is pleasant to see that SaiKano still enjoys a certain place within anime fandom. Furthermore, I do wonder if the original Yamato films will ever receive a re-release. They are currently a notable lacuna on my shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
#8 is "School Days". What is it about the ending that was so bad I have seen it joked about on some anime threads? I think a better poll would be if at least a couple of thousand people participated.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
#8 is "School Days". What is it about the ending that was so bad.

Nothing unless you think two of the main characters being brutally murdered with the person responsible becoming a karma Houdini is supposed to be good thing .
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I think what surprises me most about this list is that it doesn't completely read like a popularity contest of the most recent anime series. I'm surprised there were enough Japanese people in their 20s and 30s familiar with some of these shows to rank them so highly.
It certainly goes against a lot of what I hear people say about the fanbase over there, though I've always been skeptical. There are 2 reasons why these made it. 1, Repeats on TV and re-releases, 2, They are commonly known titles over there angst the general populaces(like how everyone in America knows about Droopy and Woody Woodpecker)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2