• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keisuke Itagaki's Baki Manga Gets TV Anime Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
I find it funny i could never read this because of how unappealing the art-style was to me but i was able to read mob psycho 100 just fine and this was before the anime but since its getting an anime i guess i can give this another go.
Deynard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
I find it funny i could never read this because of how unappealing the art-style was to me but i was able to read mob psycho 100 just fine and this was before the anime but since its getting an anime i guess i can give this another go.

I know the answer. Mob Psycho is drawn in funny style while this is trying to be like cooler version of normal manga.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:41 am Reply with quote
The art style is pretty damn great for me. Gonna give the anime a go.
ew121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

I know the answer. Mob Psycho is drawn in funny style while this is trying to be like cooler version of normal manga.

I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about, first of all it's just an art style, it's not trying to be cooler than anything.

Second, I don't think you can judge art since you don't even know anatomy, there's plenty of people in real life that have bodies similar to Baki characters, especially among bodybuilders if they have actually trained their bodies properly. Baki characters are pure muscle so they look like this.

And third, it clearly shows that you've never read the manga, it's one of the most popular fighting manga ever for a reason. The fights are incredibly fluid, the paneling is amazing, the way they punch each other and all that.
wootsman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:

I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about, first of all it's just an art style, it's not trying to be cooler than anything.

Second, I don't think you can judge art since you don't even know anatomy, there's plenty of people in real life that have bodies similar to Baki characters, especially among bodybuilders if they have actually trained their bodies properly. Baki characters are pure muscle so they look like this.

And third, it clearly shows that you've never read the manga, it's one of the most popular fighting manga ever for a reason. The fights are incredibly fluid, the paneling is amazing, the way they punch each other and all that.

I don't know man, the mangaka always fucks up the legs to be fair. And the paneling is the manga is really redundant and bland, I think you mean the poses in the fight give off amazing amount of fluidity that you picture amazing choreography happening despite it being still pictures. Enough nit-picking though, Baki the Grappler is far the most serious manga out there, it adopts a comedy style influenced by Hokuto no Ken and exaggerates it even further. It does have some amazing character development, and use of themes however. The fact that the mangaka managed to make fighting a caveman seem like this huge psychologically breaking, and philosophically altering event really made me feel like there's something special in Itagaki's writing that you can't find somewhere else.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

It's an acquired taste lol, especially in the earlier parts of the manga. IMO, the art in the later parts of Son of Ogre then Baki Dou's really good, though weird.

Anyway, I'm hyped up, not only are we getting an OVA of the Convicts Arc, but also a new TV adaptation!! I've been waiting for this for a long while, and I'm really looking forward to it! The TV series will probably adapt Son of Ogre, not sure what'll be the starting point.
Ismail Ghedamsi-filion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
My dream come true, I can't believe this
Larkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Baki's last TV anime was 15 years.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
#825565 wrote:
Second, I don't think you can judge art since you don't even know anatomy

Yeah, I bet he doesn't even lift either, bro. Rolling Eyes
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
Man, when was the last anime? And this one is picking up right where it left off, too.

As for Itagaki's art, he draws a lot of inspiration from old Japanese woodcut artwork. The way he does legs and feet comes straight from that.

wootsman wrote:
it adopts a comedy style influenced by Hokuto no Ken and exaggerates it even further.

Comedy style? Are you referring to the artwork? Please elaborate.

Quote:
It does have some amazing character development, and use of themes however. The fact that the mangaka managed to make fighting a caveman seem like this huge psychologically breaking, and philosophically altering event really made me feel like there's something special in Itagaki's writing that you can't find somewhere else.

That's precisely why the manga is one of the most widely available books in Japan. While I was there a few months back, it was sold at nearly every convenience store, train station, and anywhere else that sold things.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Man, when was the last anime? And this one is picking up right where it left off, too.

As for Itagaki's art, he draws a lot of inspiration from old Japanese woodcut artwork. The way he does legs and feet comes straight from that.

wootsman wrote:
it adopts a comedy style influenced by Hokuto no Ken and exaggerates it even further.

Comedy style? Are you referring to the artwork? Please elaborate.

Quote:
It does have some amazing character development, and use of themes however. The fact that the mangaka managed to make fighting a caveman seem like this huge psychologically breaking, and philosophically altering event really made me feel like there's something special in Itagaki's writing that you can't find somewhere else.

That's precisely why the manga is one of the most widely available books in Japan. While I was there a few months back, it was sold at nearly every convenience store, train station, and anywhere else that sold things.

He means the comedy in how overly muscled men with crazy styles of fighting sometimes beat the shit out of normal thugs in brutal ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1