• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Subtitle Styles From The Same Company Differ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ignitingblue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I just assumed that subs are prepared by publishers, not distributors. I could be wrong about this.

I watched working!!!(Wagnaria) season 2 and season 3 on crunchroll. It is fun to note that the way Yamada calls herself changed from "I" in S2 to "Yamada" in S3. The latter is closer to the original.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:48 am Reply with quote
Do whatever you want with the honorifics, just please stop making the subs yellow. (Looking at one company in particular.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Do whatever you want with the honorifics, just please stop making the subs yellow. (Looking at one company in particular.)

Some of us like the yellow subtitles and would prefer a different company get rid of their white subtitles, especially when they can't even bother to use a second color when multiple people are speaking on screen at the same time. Honestly, that's my biggest pet peeve. When all three lines of dialogue show up at the exact same time, with only a small dash to indicate it's a different character, it annoys the hell out of me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Just who the hell has the copyright over the word "Echoes"?

No one but no one told Araki to name all his characters after famous musicians or albums creating a legal quagmire in the process..
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Blind people (like myself) kind of need the yellow as opposed to it just being a subjective preference for white.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Customizable subtitles would be a better middle ground. There is the awkward interaction with multiple colors for multiple characters, though, and that's not something I'd give up.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
What about the kind of typesetting that fansubs do? Color, placement, size, alignation, even font...
Or is that unfeasible for DVD/BD release purposes?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
^I believe that has been answered before but the short answer is what you were thinking.

Edit: Found it. It's the first one answered in that article.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I get bothered by size and coloring changes when things shrink or change to being difficult to read. I haven't seen it in a while (haven't checked in a while though) because I mostly stream anime, but it popped up with the Funi and CR. Some shows had tinier than usual subtitles vs CR's normal output.

CatSword wrote:

Boo hiss to that. I've never had a problem reading those old yellow dvd dubs. Can't day the same for white ones. Especially Funi ones circa like 2009-2011. Readability should really be the primary goal of any font styling.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Perhaps official subbers that're deciding to keep honorifics are discovering something that the fansubbing scene knew for years; retaining honorifics in subs is not just about appealing to the purist/literalist viewerbase... though that does figure in. No, it's also a practical choice. When a show's airing, you don't know if an honorific usage in ep 02 is going to become plot-relevant in ep 17, so a choice to omit the suffix or translate it a certain way that works at the outset can easily cause problems later on. Same applies to other choices like family-name/given-name address, use of standalone titles like senpai/sensei, or even characters referring to themselves in third person. It's easier to make those localization changes when the show's already complete and you're translating all the scripts for a disc release, but for ongoing content, it's simply safer to go the purist-friendly route to avoid inconsistencies and awkward moments later on.

Too bad NISA essentially unlearned that lesson when they botched the "Sakura and Syaoran finally call each other by given names" scene by having the subs use given names throughout. Even though the old Geneon/Pioneer discs got it right.

#861208 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
What's bothering me is when a character refers to someone by their family name and it's just translated into the first names the subtitles. Makes me feel like I'm being treated like a moron who can't understand such concepts.

Not.... really? There could be reasons for that - most likely that the subtitler was working really fast to try to get the thing out, made a mental note about which character the character was talking about, and accidentally typed the wrong name.
That doesn't explain releases like Viz's Honey and Clover, whose subtitles weren't created under weekly simulcast pressures, and consistently did "family name spoken -> given name subbed" throughout the series. One has to presume that the subtitles were done that way because that show's (or company's) style guide said to do so.

I'm fine with either yellow or white subtitles, as both colors are pretty readable with a thick enough border. Given the relative lack of negative reactions to yellow text in fansubs, the backlash to yellow subs in discs and/or official streams seems more like the reaction of those with an axe to grind against the industry. There's been a similar backlash to Funimation's white-with-black-outlines subs now that more viewers are seeing them via rips of Funimation's streams, as opposed to the old days when you had to either buy Funi's discs or get rips that used the subs "as-is" to see Funi's styles. Yet nobody thinks "white text with black outlines in plain font" is bad when they encounter it in fansubs.

_Quasar_ wrote:
And this is why I'm glad fansubs still exist.

Why, so you can have rock-solid consistency like this?

(Same 3-episode show, same group, 3 different styles.)
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:
What's bothering me is when a character refers to someone by their family name and it's just translated into the first names the subtitles. Makes me feel like I'm being treated like a moron who can't understand such concepts.

Not.... really? There could be reasons for that - most likely that the subtitler was working really fast to try to get the thing out, made a mental note about which character the character was talking about, and accidentally typed the wrong name.

Why does everyone always assume someone's looking down on them or trying to insult them whenever something happens that they don't like?

I guess I should have clarified that I was referring to home media and not simulcasts. I'm mostly talking about the cardcaptor sakura series that NIS has. The whole family/given name thing was thrown out the window when it came to subtitles among other parts of the translation.
MrFox123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

omg this screw all yellow subs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2