• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Japanese Companies Block Trailers From Other Countries?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it's mostly because they are wanting to market exclusively towards the Japanese market with a Japanese trailer, if the show gets licensed or planned for a simulcast then the people who licensed it can create a trailer in their language to advertise it to their market. I'd guess this is so there's no potential to lose viewers because they don't think the show is accessible for them (because it's in another language). Still a pretty silly thing even if those were the reasons as the audience that thinks "oh, this is in Japanese, not for me" isn't the audience you want anyway.
Nowadays you can even see some Japanese producers putting out a trailer with English subs, obviously that won't ever be region locked, since they are also marketing the English audience by making a trailer they can actually understand. I have seen these for even things that aren't licensed yet.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Funimation claims they region lock their videos due to rights issues. Japan, however, has complete ownership of the rights when they release their trailers. So while Funimation has some BS excuse, there is none for the Japanese companies who have literally no reason to region block them.

I don't think that's a BS excuse. It's a legitimate issue. It would be pretty stupid for them to go against their Japanese overlords for something like that. This just goes back to it being another issue with the Japanese handling of regions, so people saying "it's not just Japan" are only kind of right. In the end, the reason those videos are locked is still because of Japan.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I hate when pony canyon and sony music entertainment asia do this.

Anyway what world is the person who asked this living in where fans are uploading region locked jpn music commercials for anisongs and etc living in. I usually see no one reuploading or attempting to upload these songs. Lucky if someone even loadd chara somg previews.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
It's already been mentioned, but FUNimation and I think Aniplex USA too region locks almost all their videos. I can't watch them from Japan. Pretty disappointing when it's just a trailer I'm trying to watch.

That said, I think this question's answer could used a bit of an expansion to address the issue of non-Japanese companies locking their content too.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Chrome extension + 2 minutes of your time, end of story.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
It's already been mentioned, but FUNimation and I think Aniplex USA too region locks almost all their videos. I can't watch them from Japan. Pretty disappointing when it's just a trailer I'm trying to watch.

That said, I think this question's answer could used a bit of an expansion to address the issue of non-Japanese companies locking their content too.

Foreign licensors don't dream up ways to interfere with your enjoyment. They do this because locking is part of the terms of their licenses. Presumably the Japanese production committees don't want you watching those foreign trailers. They certainly don't want you watching foreign streams of entire programs instead of watching local releases or buying the discs.

Anime fans think in global terms and want everything to be available everywhere. Producers think in terms of regions and want to control both the pace and the breadth of access. Hollywood is no different.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Foreign licensors don't dream up ways to interfere with your enjoyment. They do this because locking is part of the terms of their licenses. Presumably the Japanese production committees don't want you watching those foreign trailers.

Which is bizarre when more often than not it's an almost identical trailer used for other English speaking markets.

I found it really strange that the trailer for Macross Delta aree blocked outside Japan, yet the Japanese blu-rays contain English subtitles.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully there will come a day when companies don't region lock there trailers but I wouldn't hold my breath. Rolling Eyes
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Foreign licensors don't dream up ways to interfere with your enjoyment. They do this because locking is part of the terms of their licenses. Presumably the Japanese production committees don't want you watching those foreign trailers. They certainly don't want you watching foreign streams of entire programs instead of watching local releases or buying the discs.

Anime fans think in global terms and want everything to be available everywhere. Producers think in terms of regions and want to control both the pace and the breadth of access. Hollywood is no different.

I did think of that, but then we'd go back to what the article states. Sometimes the trailer is just the Japanese version with subtitles and it's still blocked in Japan.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
It annoys me when a Japanese song I used to be able to watch on the official channel (Sometimes with English captions!) is suddenly removed leaving only osu playthroughs, 'male versions', fandubs and awful nightcore remixes.

On the topic of region locking, what's Funimation's story? They're really anal about that sort of thing even though no other western distributor really cares. It was actually through them that I found out it's possible to region lock a Twitter video.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 am Reply with quote
Japan's practice of micro-targetting products is probably the only reason any of the stuff we like even exists, by the way.

anime, all the different genres that could only be in anime, Lolita fashion, all the other Japanese "street fashion" styles... they exist because even a few decades ago, people in Japan were thinking, "you know, we should make this, because someone, somewhere, might be interested", whereas everywhere else, they would think, "We'll either market this to everyone, or not make it. No one wants to be weird and like the thing no one else likes."
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
As to the question, couldn't some of this videos be restricted to Japan due to music rights issues?

That's just pushing the problem and the question back one step.

Lantis don't region lock their artists' music videos on Youtube, yet too many other anime music record companies do and the only way I've found to protest is to reply to their tweets of music clips with the Youtube region blocking message.

Last edited by omiya on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:

As yuna expanded on, and as I mentioned already prior to your comment, it's still the Japanese who are the responsible party here. And addressing your follow up comment; it doesn't have to make sense. That's kind of the point of the whole article. If international publishers are forbidden to share their trailer with other regions because Japan doesn't want them to, they won't. Simple as that.

#861208 wrote:
Japan's practice of micro-targetting products is probably the only reason any of the stuff we like even exists, by the way.

anime, all the different genres that could only be in anime, Lolita fashion, all the other Japanese "street fashion" styles... they exist because even a few decades ago, people in Japan were thinking, "you know, we should make this, because someone, somewhere, might be interested", whereas everywhere else, they would think, "We'll either market this to everyone, or not make it. No one wants to be weird and like the thing no one else likes."

Eh, I don't think this makes sense. Sure, not trying to appeal to the widest audience possible allows for more niche and weird projects, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the context used in the article. It's almost the opposite. If you create a niche product, it's in your best interests to get it out as much as possible. If no one can see it, your niche is just going to be even smaller and your product much more likely unprofitable. You can't make niche stuff if your audience can't find it and support it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Meanwhile Funimation also regions locks clips from new dubs and whatnot outside america. I know it's easy to get around said region locking, but I've always wondered what the point is.

well i can get full episodes, but clips and trailers?? its like what anserman says, its just screaming to illegal streamers "hello there. please upload me illegally."

the worst offenders are japan's aniplex branch and type moon. i mean everyone knows about the heaven's feel movie as well as the grand order smartphone games, but in all of their wisdom, both the game and the trailers are region locked making it a feeding frenzy for piraters and others. while i can get their trying to stop the curb of online piracy and illegal streaming, they seriously need to get a clue in this modern age of computers. at least bandai namco gets it and never blocks their trailers or mini clips to an extend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paiprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
While the practice of it is just anachronistic, it's not the end of the world. There's other alternatives besides 1 minute or so trailers that offer as much or even more info of the anime. If you really have to see it, then yeah, simple VPN and you're done.

It's their digital property and it's within their rights to who they want it to be seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3