• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is a Fujoshi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Are there actually more of these moments in Kuuga or rather throughout the franchise?
I don't want to spoil Kuuga for you, so I'll just say that if you *want* to read it as romantic interest between Godai & Ichijou, it's not that difficult. The writers certainly do not put any roadblocks in the way of that interpretation (idk how far you are in the show, but it's not a spoiler to say that the "do you have a girlfriend" question, whether explicit or implied, comes up repeatedly and both men deny it every time. It's kind of a running joke).

As for the rest of the franchise*, many shows (esp. the neo-Heisei series, after which it seems like they started to refine the formula) manage to make at least a few appealing possible ships for fans to choose from, should they want. It's never made explicit of course, nor is any hetero romance (with a few exceptions). It *is* a kid's show first & foremost, so it's not really meant to be a romance; they just supply enough of a frame to invite older viewers to do what they will (and buy merch-- young kids aren't spending big $$$ on collectible figures, actor photobooks, etc.).

[*I should note that I've not seen all the Heisei Riders-- so far I've watched W through Gaim (dropped Drive), Ghost, and then went back and watched Kuuga through Ryuki (currently watching Faiz & the current show, Ex-Aid). So if something radically different happens between Faiz & Decade, I don't know about it yet. Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot the random chronological detour I made to watch Kiva out of order because the cast looked appealing. The cast *was* in fact appealing, but the story unfortunately was kind of a mess.]

Last edited by poonk on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So is there a counterpart term of fujoshi for someone who likes bishoujo girls and shipping them? Or does it not exist yet?

Otaku. Fujoshi is an analog for otaku.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
They mentioned it in the article. It's fudanshi
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
They mentioned it in the article. It's fudanshi
My understanding of fudanshi is that it's a guy who ships male characters together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
(dropped Drive)

I like Drive personally. Was it too boring for you?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's not that Drive is "boring", it's just that I was making my way through other KR series at the time-- after W (my first), I proceeded to watch the neo-Heisei shows chronologically so I was probably somewhere in OOO as Drive was just starting. I did keep up for the first 17 eps until I finally realized there always seemed to be something else I'd *rather* watch (whether it be another KR series, or probably Gokaiger at the time, or one of the many non-tokusatsu J-dramas I also watch), so I basically ended up putting Drive on an indefinite hold ...for 2+ years now.

In the interim though, I've converted a few friends to KR fandom (I'm firmly in the "if you can't find other fans, MAKE 'em" camp) so I'm rewatching the W-to-present series with them. So I'll eventually fill in that Drive gap. I may actually do the same with Ex-Aid, as it's not exactly grabbing me either.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Let us know how you feel about all this heated man-on-man action in the forums!

This place has turned pretty gay in the last year or so. But I see that as a sign of stagnation. Much like scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. When target demographics change like this that's usually a sign to move on to something better because the medium is dying. Just look at TV.

But in terms of recent anime, I think them pushing this gay stuff recently will provoke a tipping point where either people get fed up and there's huge surge in anime quality as an opposition, or anime continues in it's current uninspiring path.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
It's not that Drive is "boring", it's just that I was making my way through other KR series at the time-- after W (my first), I proceeded to watch the neo-Heisei shows chronologically so I was probably somewhere in OOO as Drive was just starting. I did keep up for the first 17 eps until I finally realized there always seemed to be something else I'd *rather* watch (whether it be another KR series, or probably Gokaiger at the time, or one of the many non-tokusatsu J-dramas I also watch), so I basically ended up putting Drive on an indefinite hold ...for 2+ years now.

In the interim though, I've converted a few friends to KR fandom (I'm firmly in the "if you can't find other fans, MAKE 'em" camp) so I'm rewatching the W-to-present series with them. So I'll eventually fill in that Drive gap. I may actually do the same with Ex-Aid, as it's not exactly grabbing me either.

Ah I see. Drive was the Kamen Rider I watched on my own time instead of doing a group watching stream with other initiates, and I guess it holds a special place for me.

It's funny you mention "MAKE 'em" because that's exactly what my friend has been doing for the last couple of years, trying to get me and everyone else he knows into KR via livestream group viewing. I haven't really had time to watch any others though. I'm thinking of trying Black or Blade next personally.
Gabby Rodriguez

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had sources for the author's claims that female otaku have more spending power? I had just never heard that fact before and I was wondering like where that information came from and whether people know why that is and such. I thought it was interesting! Thanks.
REL-84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Gabby Rodriguez wrote:
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had sources for the author's claims that female otaku have more spending power? I had just never heard that fact before and I was wondering like where that information came from and whether people know why that is and such. I thought it was interesting! Thanks.

Me too. I'd love to hear a source for this, because I do believe there was this Answerman-article about women being less likely to spend money on anime, but rather stick to manga. That felt to me, at the time, as being about having less spending power. But I guess it could also have been about preferences of medium I guess.

About those BL Drama CDs: they aren't cheap! Sure, they aren't beyond most people's spending power (just try comparing them to those expensive PS4- or Xbone-games I also long for), but still compared to manga and because you have to import this stuff from Japan yourself, that makes them expensive in comparison. I make some harsh priorities for sure. The rest is on a long-long waiting list.

But a source and some more details about fujoshi spending power would be very interesting to hear. Is it about age? (there being middle-aged, working fujoshi perhaps spending money on their hobby? Or teenagers living in well-to-do middle-class homes with nothing to stop them from buying all that fan merchandise?).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
There's no real hard numbers when it comes to gender breakdown of sales. It's mostly assumption; you're not going to really be able to ask everyone who buys a product if they are male or female. As far as anime sales are concerned, the only real measurement we have is that women are more likely to buy DVDs than Blu-rays while otaku are the opposite. Whenever you see a show with a hugely disproportionate amount of DVDs it's usually a show that's popular with fujoshi.

For example: Osomatsu-san's final volume sold 20K BD and 21K DVD. A BD to DVD ratio of 1:1 is pretty unheard of. Usually DVDs of a show sell a fraction of Blu-Ray. For example: Owarimonogatari selling 23K BD and only 3K BD. Other shows with high DVD sales are Free and I would assume the upcoming Yuri on Ice.

So what does this tell us? One could safely assume fujoshi usually don't buy anime disks outside a few select shows compared to the otaku market. That doesn't necessarily mean they're not spending money on other franchises elsewhere though like character goods, CDs, event tickets, doujinshi, manga. There's not much in the way of information for those goods, though. So as far as what's popular with for fujoshi the only real measurement we as the public have is to look at DVD sales and spot the trends.

For mainstream series that don't rely on BD/DVD sales, a method I personally use is the amount of BL/yaoi doujinshi I see when purchasing regular ones. For some franchises, like Yu-Gi-Oh and Detective Conan. the amount of BL heavily outweighs the regular ones, indicating a trend and popularity with fujoshi. For other franchises, like Pocket Monsters, BL doujins hardly exists at all and otaku aimed stuff are the majority.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4