• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resident Evil: Vendetta CG Film Shows Antagonist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Those arms on Chris Redfield... Not as muscular as what he had in the actual games but oh well. Kinniku Twisted Evil
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the first CG anime full-length film based on CAPCOM's Resident Evil (Biohazard) horror game franchise,

Isn't Resident Evil: Degeneration a CG movie that is based on the Biohazard 2 game?

In any case I will be adding this new one to my collection when it finally makes its way here on home video.
I have never played the games but I have all of the movies on disc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Isn't Resident Evil: Degeneration a CG movie that is based on the Biohazard 2 game?

Yup, the article is wrong. Vendetta is actually the third CG film based on the franchise, after Damnation...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
This looks amazing, in the same way the rubbish RE stories are amazing. Sign me up and they finally put proper gore into one of these.

This is technically the 4th CG film, but the 1st (it´s rubbish) wasn´t "feature length":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biohazard_4D-Executer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
While stuff like Damnation was one of the best things from RE in a while, I can't help but feel sad at Leon's every appearance after 4. They really ruined that character.

While I'm looking forward to what looks like the first, genuine horror game in a series that doesn't have much to lose with RE 7, I've still always adored 4 because of its self aware fun.

It's the perfect blend of splatterhouse violence, and B-Movie camp. With a protagonist like Leon who is a dorky poster boy for stupid RE characters. (And RE has a lot of silly characters) He had this fun persona that would have him spouting cheesy quips, even annoying the crap out of his enemies.

What's Leon now? Other guy with gun.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
What are you talking about? Leon has always been the same character ever since Resident Evil 4, with his amazing fighting skills, cheesy one liner and unrequited love with Ada. There's not much development to get from him now since he's already at his peak and this movie serves as fanservices for those that wanted more experience with CG Resident Evil film with no Alice in it and followed the actual storyline based from the games. I'd say its going to be a fun watch, and perhaps that's your intepretation of Leon but I'm liking him as he is, and he's certainly not another dude with a gun or else his presence in the games nor movies would make no fun at all. People would not be buying the games or seeing the movies (though, they might be doing so for different reasons.
residentgrigo wrote:
Can you please not bring too much rubbish to the site alongside yourself? It's going to get smelly in here, whatnot with the severe amount of self glorifying notes and all. Nasty.

About the article, I'm kinda suprised they didn't read what I said about the fact that this isn't the 1st RE CG movie, and officially the 3rd one discounting Biohazard Executor since that seemed more like an early experimental work. I guess the writer somewhat copy pasted the info from the old related news.
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Woomy wrote:
What are you talking about? Leon has always been the same character ever since Resident Evil 4, with his amazing fighting skills, cheesy one liner and unrequited love with Ada. There's not much development to get from him now since he's already at his peak and this movie serves as fanservices for those that wanted more experience with CG Resident Evil film with no Alice in it and followed the actual storyline based from the games. I'd say its going to be a fun watch, and perhaps that's your intepretation of Leon but I'm liking him as he is, and he's certainly not another dude with a gun or else his presence in the games nor movies would make no fun at all. People would not be buying the games or seeing the movies (though, they might be doing so for different reasons.

Um, no, he hasn't been the same. Resident Evil 4 generally has a different feel than most RE games because it's one of the only ones to truly embrace a self aware nature when it comes to the stupidity of Resident Evil.

It doesn't take itself that seriously, and is practically borderline a horror comedy in similar vein to things like the Evil Dead series. Resident Evil is stupid. And RE 4 actually realizes that, and pushes forward with confidence on an oh so glorious level.

Like I said, it's the perfect blend of splatterhouse violence, and B-Movie cheese. It's about rescuing the president's daughter for fricks sake. And Leon himself in that game drives that point home.

He's a highly skilled badass, but he is so freaking cringe worthy and awful, he's genius. You can not tell me with a straight face, the guy the made a stupid joke about Salazaar's hand coming off to fight him, or asking if the villagers left for bingo in the opening, was the same character you saw in films like Degeneration, Damnation, and the awful RE 6 game.

He didn't go out of his way to mouth off such cringe worthy quips, and being a dork. He was the grizzled dude with a gun. Not really all that different from any other protagonist. Because future installments in the series decided to toss out its sense of humor, and have us attempt to take it all seriously.

Have you played RE 6? Seen any of these films? Go through RE 4 again and you see one of the most awful, stupid, dorkiest badass in gaming pretty much missing from those newer ones.

While I also still dig RE games like 2, and Code Veronica like every other fan, I will without shame still say RE 4 was the best in the series, and one of my favorite games in general. Not only were the gameplay mechanics so much fun and tight, it had a funny bone that this series desperately needed.

Just look at all its characters. A little midget who throws temper tantrums, to a random cloaked merchant who sounds like a pirate selling you guns. Do you see any of that ridiculous crap in these other things? Not really.

And to be honest, a funny bone was probably best for Shinji Subtlety Absolutely Escapes Me Mikami to include because people need to admit that the "godfather of survival horror", was never good at the horror part.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
oh gosh. The english dub of this is so shit I immediately decided not to bother with it. It's weird since the last 2 movies had no VA problems. I mean, there's tons of other problems too: generic villain, Chris looks...BAD, and the CG actually might look worse than RE Damnation...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
@Afezeria Let´s not have hardcore RE fans, who followed the series since the 90s and finished every canon entry, show their enthusiasm in an open forum. Sure Confused . Why are we all here again?

@Woomy Jim Sterling went over this multiples times too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLG6V_nUTM&t=612s
The whole cast is now either man with gun on a mission, woman with gun on a mission, or person with a gun searching for family member. Leon especially turned into a wholly new character but Chris (the king of ret-cons) isn´t far behind either. No one got time for bingo jokes and over the top banter with midget Napoleons, a shame. RE VII still kept the canon and the assigned writer is top notch so there is that.
More Neo Umbrella for us all... No, that plot from RE VI was the bad kind of Crapcom awful but the combat was fun. VII will again feature black comedy, so someone finally listed!
To think that i was once young enough to take the intro of RE 1 seriously.
nynextew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they didn't go with the Leon model from Degeneration. I'm not sure why but he didn't look as polished...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1