• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria Revolution Game's Story Trailer Introduces 4 Commanders

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:10 am Reply with quote
Super Robot/Mecha game in the Valkyria Chronicles universe?

I miss more realistic genre the original series had over this over top approach in doing the story. Looking at the characters, it doesn't really look like anything you'd see in the universe.

I guess the game franchise is no longer by it's originator. Sad
scottjam65

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Agree. Looks like a generic JRPG with the name "Valkyria" painted on it. It's supposed to take place some 100 years before Valkyria Chronicles, but features way more advanced technology - doesn't seem believable. I mean, we didn't have giant robots before WWII, did we?
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
Really sad it seems they completely dropped the most interesting aspect of their games with the WWII themed tactical RPG. That was something that set them apart from every other tactical RPG or JRPG out there. Sure you would deal with the magical Valkyria's later in the game but it was at it's core a WWII style tactics RPG. Now it is just generic looking action JRPG with giant swords, spears, axes, etc...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I miss more realistic genre

Tactial third person shooter with Role playing elements?

scottjam65 wrote:
I mean, we didn't have giant robots before WWII, did we?

We didn't have many women fighting in combat or leadership roles in WW2.....or those women able to transform into powerful juggernauts capable of causing mass destruction and death.

Monster Hunter wrote:
Really sad it seems they completely dropped the most interesting aspect of their games with the WWII themed tactical RPG.

It's a spin-off so of course they dropped it.

Monster Hunter wrote:
Sure you would deal with the magical Valkyria's later in the game

You had soldiers using ragnite for their grenades and even engines for their vehicles.....something I'm pretty sure was a real material used in World War 2.

Monster Hunter wrote:
but it was at it's core a WWII style tactics RPG. Now it is just generic looking action JRPG with giant swords, spears, axes, etc...

Instead of being a fantasy tactical shooter with RPG elements where characters use blue glowing material to power their explosives and engines, and where one of the antagonists and protagonists can turn into blue haired, red eye unstoppable killing machines.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
I never liked the ridiculous looking swords/scythe since I first saw them. It just looks silly.
Ophelia's sword is acceptable in its moderate inclusion of fantasy elements and still looking wieldable.

These Empire guys posted today look pretty good though. They even look about exactly right for the time period in real life (well, except for Balthus' pilotka).

It's a disappointing style change considering how a lot of the equipment in the original game had recognizable real-world inspiration. The original had its own sense of whimsy by incorporating medieval armor into the Empire troops, and using basically WW1 French uniforms for your own troops. Well, once they introduced melee classes in VC2 I guess this was inevitable.

It's also a little disappointing to have something with the Valkyria name set in an earlier time period than the original and have no logical connection to it; after all, where did the mechs go between 1853 and 1935?
I guess it's going to have to be a spinoff in alternate universe, since there's no mention of Gallia anyway.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

We didn't have many women fighting in combat or leadership roles in WW2.....or those women able to transform into powerful juggernauts capable of causing mass destruction and death.

The Soviet Union begs to differ...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Super Robot/Mecha game in the Valkyria Chronicles universe?

I miss more realistic genre the original series had over this over top approach in doing the story. Looking at the characters, it doesn't really look like anything you'd see in the universe.

I guess the game franchise is no longer by it's originator. Sad

I'll third the notion that "Valkyria" just got pasted on a franchise by the game developers for "Generic war game with story"--
Without Alicia, or the quasi-WWI Europe setting, never mind the turn-based game system...Even the hype of keeping the same "artistic" style doesn't compare to the Virtual-Watercolor of the original.

Oh well, guess I'll have to hold off getting that PS4 until Sony does the soft "Chronicles" PSN upgrade.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
The Soviet Union begs to differ...

I'm aware that the Russians had women in combat roles in both the first and second world war, which is why I said "We didn't have many women fighting in combat or leadership roles in WW2" while the Russians had women participating in combat roles not every other country did,
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1