• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Everyone In Anime Use Clotheslines?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I've only ever used clotheslines once, due to us being unable to afford a dryer(we moved a lot when I was young and we couldn't get one for this place). It was just a bit of bailing wire strung from the roof to the shed, but it worked well enough in our yard(minus the times we had to hang things inside due to it being cold).

Now I live in an apartment that bans clotheslines(not that the tiny veranda could support more than a small handful of garments at once); I've even had to take a load to the local laundromat to dry them when it wasn't working, which really underscored my dependency on them(incidentally, the local laundromat charges 25 cents per 5 minutes for the large commercial dryers and 25 cents per 8 minutes for the small stacked dryers).

From what everybody says, though, I can't help but imagine venting all the hot air straight outside like American homes do helps with the efficiency question(and then there's the high-amp 220 volt plug).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid, we used the clothes line outside to dry our clothes, and in the winter or inclement weather used those accordion style drying racks next to our main indoor wall heater.

Now we use dryers. Line drying stretches out your clothes and they are stiff too. I visited the Philippines quite recently, and had to wash and dry my clothes the old way for a bit.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
@Polycell

While a device to capture the heat in a dryer exhaust could be invented it likely would not be cost effective except in very cold areas. The air coming out of a dryer pretty much must be vented to the outside. It is very humid and is full of dryer lint.

We had a dryer that vented inside. It was attached to a plastic bucket with a couple of inches of water in it. The idea was to catch the lint on the water with the hot air going into the laundry room. We ended up having to scrub the back wall with an antifungal agent and an amazing amount of lint collected in the room. I had to get the dryer moved to an outside wall where it could be vented properly.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Polycell

While a device to capture the heat in a dryer exhaust could be invented it likely would not be cost effective except in very cold areas. The air coming out of a dryer pretty much must be vented to the outside. It is very humid and is full of dryer lint.

We had a dryer that vented inside. It was attached to a plastic bucket with a couple of inches of water in it. The idea was to catch the lint on the water with the hot air going into the laundry room. We ended up having to scrub the back wall with an antifungal agent and an amazing amount of lint collected in the room. I had to get the dryer moved to an outside wall where it could be vented properly.

There are ventless dryers that work just fine, they use high efficiency filters to trap the lint and then cold water (from the tap) to condense the water coming off the clothes and generally recirculate the air back to the dryer. (Both my parents and my in-laws had one, both pumped the condensate to the drain.) It sounds like you got a particularly cheap-a one.

The problem I had with them (when doing laundry while visiting) is that they were very low capacity and had a very long cycle time (even with considering you had a single unit rather than two so you could work in parallel). You could pretty much only do two or three loads a day (totalling a little smaller than a single load for a standard unit). They seemed to work fine for seniors (and anyone else) who was home all day and could do small loads practically every day. Other than that, I don't see much use for them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
@DerekL1963

No not a cheap one, just a standard vented dryer in a poorly thought out location. This was 30 years ago and if ventless dryers were available then, no one mentioned it to us. In any case, your description of limited capacity does not sound as if one would have been useable. Our current dryer was specifically chosen to be capable of drying a queen sized quilt when necessary.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what surprises me more:

1) The utter banality of some of the Answerman questions (I daren't even open the "Why do anime characters send emails instead of texts?" column for fear of succumbing to excess excitement);

2) The fact that no matter how banal, these questions get answered;

or

3) The fact that these banal questions and answers invariably generate pages of earnest discussion.

I eagerly await the column that answers the burning question of why there are so many anime scenes with ice cubes settling in a glass.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not sure what surprises me more:

1) The utter banality of some of the Answerman questions (I daren't even open the "Why do anime characters send emails instead of texts?" column for fear of succumbing to excess excitement);

2) The fact that no matter how banal, these questions get answered;

or

3) The fact that these banal questions and answers invariably generate pages of earnest discussion.

I eagerly await the column that answers the burning question of why there are so many anime scenes with ice cubes settling in a glass.

Talking about the everyday situations of different countries and cultures can easily spark as much discussion as talking about the macro concerns; They show how various people think & live and this subject is generally interesting to other people.

Discussions like this are even important because they fill in the entire picture. Think of medical masks in Japan and how differently they are used and treated there than how they are in English North America; Think of central heating and how ubiquitous that is over here vs. how it is in Japan: Knowing these things paints the picture of how things really are, letting you understand and interact with the country/culture's art better. You can't always get these answers just from watching and sometimes it is actively a bad idea to try. Imagine The Simpsons being used as a serious educational tool on American culture and society without context.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Born and raised in Vegas, seen clotheslines maybe 10 times in 35 years, mosquitoes even less. You have always been able to buy dryers second hand for a quarter of the price or usually they are hand me downs. The question is interesting to hear as well as the surprising forum reaction, out here they will steal or vandalize anything not hidden or nailed down in the city. Hanging clothes would be like throwing them away, someones gonna jack that shit.

Its definitely a difference in local. Unless you are looking for the absolutely cheapest place or studio apt you have no choice but to be furnished with all the modern tangible amenities.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It is a well known fact that escaping prisoners, resurrected humans, migrating or newly formed aliens, and others who's transformation sequences leave them naked will all steal clothes off drying lines.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is a well known fact that escaping prisoners, resurrected humans, migrating or newly formed aliens, and others who's transformation sequences leave them naked will all steal clothes off drying lines.

A caution we should all heed before hanging our clothes out to dry!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
I've never used a clothesline except for times when I helped out my grandmother, and here in Maryland I'm definitely living in one of those "damp most of the year" states, with our humid summers and wet/snowy winters. At best, I'd maybe be able to line-dry for about half the year if I wanted to (and living in a small space with wall-to-wall carpeting makes indoor drying impractical).

Fellow Marylander here. I was coming here to say pretty much the same thing but since you beat me to it, I guess I'll point out another challenge for indoor line-drying that I and many other people from the US face: pets. In my case, I have five cats who all love to play with things hanging above their head. So between the normal weather patterns here and my choice to keep pets, it's a struggle for me to line-dry anything substantial.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
LadyKuzunoha wrote:
WingKing wrote:
I've never used a clothesline except for times when I helped out my grandmother, and here in Maryland I'm definitely living in one of those "damp most of the year" states

Fellow Marylander here.

Living in the Puget Sound basin, all I'm gonna say is y'all don't even know what damp is. Smile

Here, it can be 55 degrees and raining pretty much any day of the year - New Years Day or Fourth of July, doesn't matter. I've watched Independence Day fireworks with a heavy jacket on and a mug of hot chocolate in hand.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
LadyKuzunoha wrote:
WingKing wrote:
I've never used a clothesline except for times when I helped out my grandmother, and here in Maryland I'm definitely living in one of those "damp most of the year" states

Fellow Marylander here.

Living in the Puget Sound basin, all I'm gonna say is y'all don't even know what damp is. Smile

Here, it can be 55 degrees and raining pretty much any day of the year - New Years Day or Fourth of July, doesn't matter. I've watched Independence Day fireworks with a heavy jacket on and a mug of hot chocolate in hand.

I grew up about 30 minutes east of Whidbey Island and can confirm this to be true. Winter was great in the Cascade Mountains, but if you were west of them, that whole area is essentially seasonal-less with constant cloud cover. My family was incredibly poor, so we did have to use clotheslines when we couldn't trade service or work for access to other facilities, but it took a very long time and was not worth the risk of destroying clothes with mold a lot of the time.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Come to think of it, the only other place I've seen ice cubes settling in a glass as the only thing on camera was in a Lipton commercial...
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Talking about the everyday situations of different countries and cultures can easily spark as much discussion as talking about the macro concerns; They show how various people think & live and this subject is generally interesting to other people.

Discussions like this are even important because they fill in the entire picture. Think of medical masks in Japan and how differently they are used and treated there than how they are in English North America; Think of central heating and how ubiquitous that is over here vs. how it is in Japan: Knowing these things paints the picture of how things really are, letting you understand and interact with the country/culture's art better. You can't always get these answers just from watching and sometimes it is actively a bad idea to try. Imagine The Simpsons being used as a serious educational tool on American culture and society without context.

Indeed. It's not like these are things that people are lying awake at night over, unable to rest until they have answers. But when something doesn't make sense, you tend to want to make sense of it, and for a lot of things this involves asking someone. Here we have a convenient person to ask about everything anime.

Certainly I've wondered about similarly banal details about life in North America, usually arising from things in their pop culture that are clearly supposed to mean something to the audience, but made absolutely zero sense to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6