• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions Film's 3rd Trailer Previews English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
PoL was a 4Kids production because they know Americans only care about Yugi and wanted to milk DM as much as they can.

I mean, it's hard to care about any other Yugoh protags when Yugi was the only one who existed at the time, but cool.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
If the film of Dark Side of Dimensions is going to be debuted uncut, I'll be more inclined to watch it.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Damn... it's been so long since I've seen the show dubbed I've forgotten about some of this crap. Why does Bakura have a British accent? Doesn't make any sense. I mean he was a transfer student, but it's not like he transferred from overseas!
AshesofAstroworld

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Same reason why Luna and Ami/y had each one (though were played legit Brits) in Sailor Moon's original dub: to emphasize their politeness. Likewise Joey's Brooklyn Rage to make him more a tough guy.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If the film of Dark Side of Dimensions is going to be debuted uncut, I'll be more inclined to watch it.

This is Yugioh where talking about, the english dubs will never be uncut.
MCAL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

This is Yugioh where talking about, the english dubs will never be uncut.
Actually The 3D movie was uncut (Even had a scene that was cut in the TV Show in it) so that isn't necessarily a given. (As in visual wise. Obviously a lot of the dialogue was altered as it always is)
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
It's too bad they didn't include a scene of Joey. I wanted to hear Wayne Grayson again.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It's visually uncut (no edits or time cuts), but that doesn't mean it'll be a faithful dub unfortunately. The soundtrack is still entirely re-scored, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of dialogue changes. Pyramid of Light and Bonds Beyond Time both had them, so I doubt this will be an exception.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It's visually uncut (no edits or time cuts), but that doesn't mean it'll be a faithful dub unfortunately. The soundtrack is still entirely re-scored, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of dialogue changes. Pyramid of Light and Bonds Beyond Time both had them, so I doubt this will be an exception.

Sadly, you might be right. Sad I can withstand the music changes, but the one-liners, practical jokes, and American pop-culture references (?) can (and will!) bore me out of the film really quick.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Sadly, you might be right. Sad I can withstand the music changes, but the one-liners, practical jokes, and American pop-culture references (?) can (and will!) bore me out of the film really quick.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about them either. It's alright during the light-hearted stuff, but it's annoying when they're shoehorned into serious or emotional moments. It's a shame this is something 4K Media has yet to realize...

Though I'm sure some want those moments, since they add to the nostalgic appeal.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
I mean, it's hard to care about any other Yugoh protags when Yugi was the only one who existed at the time, but cool.

That's the point. GX was going to premier a few months later, and they were aware enough to know most Americans would lose interest in the franchise once the new series premiered since that's the case with most other franchises in the west. Hense why they also made Capsule Monsters.

-Stuart Smith
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Nyren wrote:
You just can't beat the original Yu-Gi-Oh. GX and 5D's were fine, but everything since then just completely lost me and the original remains my all time favorite.

Yeah they should have ended the series long ago. 5D's was a perfect series to end it all. And then the disaster known as Zexal came. And now with Arc-V it seemed like the best way to end the franchise, but no. We need another series that''ll only be another comercial for the card game and is there to intoduce people to new summoning method :/

It sure was easier back in the day were there was only the original series.

Umm of course their gonna make more Yugioh, it's Konami & Studio Gallops cash cow. Ending Yugioh would be like if Sunrise ended Gundam. Their not gonna end it until it stops selling.

well its TCG is right now the only cash cow for the franchise since the anime is been edited to hell and back. and they have to keep it going if they ever want to surprass the TCG juggernaut that is magic the gathering. as for its anime, its nothing but a massive joke. even this trailer proves that their going back to the 4kids way of dubbing this movie which means its edited as hell and americanized to the point that it becomes a joking point to the otaku community. while the movie is only good for nostalgia moment, its day as an anime based series is all but over. if you really want to watch an anime series that is based off of a TCG , then just watch the WIXOSS series which is a hell of a lot better than YGO lately since its either that or the even worse series cardfight vanguard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Nyren wrote:
You just can't beat the original Yu-Gi-Oh. GX and 5D's were fine, but everything since then just completely lost me and the original remains my all time favorite.

Yeah they should have ended the series long ago. 5D's was a perfect series to end it all. And then the disaster known as Zexal came. And now with Arc-V it seemed like the best way to end the franchise, but no. We need another series that''ll only be another comercial for the card game and is there to intoduce people to new summoning method :/

It sure was easier back in the day were there was only the original series.

Umm of course their gonna make more Yugioh, it's Konami & Studio Gallops cash cow. Ending Yugioh would be like if Sunrise ended Gundam. Their not gonna end it until it stops selling.

well its TCG is right now the only cash cow for the franchise since the anime is been edited to hell and back. and they have to keep it going if they ever want to surprass the TCG juggernaut that is magic the gathering. as for its anime, its nothing but a massive joke. even this trailer proves that their going back to the 4kids way of dubbing this movie which means its edited as hell and americanized to the point that it becomes a joking point to the otaku community. while the movie is only good for nostalgia moment, its day as an anime based series is all but over. if you really want to watch an anime series that is based off of a TCG , then just watch the WIXOSS series which is a hell of a lot better than YGO lately since its either that or the even worse series cardfight vanguard.

Okay you really need to stop copy and pasting these types of comments to every Yugioh thread. Okay first of all the anime series still gets high ratings in Japan meaning it's still a cash cow,otherwise Studio Gallop wouldn't keep making them. Second of all Yugioh is currently the best selling TCG in the world, it's already surpassed magic the gathering, but I guess you're someone who doesn't play tcg's let alone pay attention to the so I don't expect to actually do your research. Third of all you shouldn't judge a franchise based on a bunch of poorly made dubs. Finally I have no interest in WIXOSS, not the anime or the tcg, if I wanted to play another tcg besides yugioh I would play magic, pokemon, vanguard, hech even those other anime/game based tcg's like DBZ or Fire Emblem look more interesting than WIXOSS. Also from what I've heard/seen of WIXOSS it does a very poor job of advertising it's oen game, what's the point in making an anime based on a tcg if you're not even going to focus on it?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
AshesofAstroworld wrote:
Same reason why Luna and Ami/y had each one (though were played legit Brits) in Sailor Moon's original dub: to emphasize their politeness. Likewise Joey's Brooklyn Rage to make him more a tough guy.

Which is kind of funny given how 4Kids was prone to editing out people getting punched...can't display your tough guy cred if you're not allowed to hit people, be they friend or foe.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The entire original English dub cast will be returning for Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions, Pinch me I must be dreaming because these kind of miracles don't happen that often. Very Happy

Yeah, it's pretty awesome.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
4Kids did do that uncut version but only only 4 volumes got released. At least they made an attempt at doing an uncut version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3