• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Masamune-kun looks like it could be funny, but Scum's Wish just looks depressing

Having read the first three manga volumes of the former and the first of the latter, you're on the right track. Masamune-kun treads a fine line between funny and mean, so I think how the lines are delivered will make a huge difference to how the anime plays out. Scum's Wish...well, yeah, it's depressing. And a little off-putting, honestly. I'm also expecting some censorship of the make-out scenes from the book, so honestly it may be the title I'm the most leery of going into the season.

Actually, this and some other rumors I've herd recently about the exact nature of the relationship between the two leads (that they spoiler[are a couple to disguise the fact that each holds a forbidden love]) makes me want to see Scum's Wish even more. It's probably now my second-most-anticipated title of the season (after Konosuba 2).

What I'm going to be most curious to see, though, is what title we'll all be talking about at the end of the season that we aren't talking about now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The Anime series that I'm most looking forward to seeing this season are Little Witch Academia and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Very Happy
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Besides Gundam IBO (which is on-going and awesome right now), I'm excited for Blue Exorcist and YowamushiPedal, both being sequels to series I've seen. elDLIVE has me really excited; I managed to read some of the manga and loved it. Sure, I'm not neccessarily happy there may be fillers (I really don't think the fillers would be put in unless they wanted a year-long series. Even then, it wouldn't be till later. There is quite a good amount of material to work with), I'm still excited to watch it. As for other shows I'm curious for, Onihei, ACCA, and Handshakers all caught my attention.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the minority who's in favor of Seiren. I'm weak against series like this.

I'll be paying attention to Chaos;Child, regardless of how it'll turn out. I'm frustrated that it's only one cour. But seeing the low chances of getting the game translated, the anime is the only option we got.

Aside from that, I'm interested with Konosuba,

Of course, I'll also keep following Gundam IBO. It's become really good.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
For me, Konosuba 2, Youjo Senki, and ACCA are the ones I'm most looking forward to trying out. I'm curious about a few others, but might wait to see what people's initial impressions are before I jump on them.

Key wrote:

What I'm going to be most curious to see, though, is what title we'll all be talking about at the end of the season that we aren't talking about now.

That's always a fun thing to guess. Looking at the shows that currently have less than 10,000 MAL users "planning to watch" them, the one that jumps out at me is Idol Incidents (current "plan to watch" count: 2,141 users, or approximately 75,000 less than Konosuba 2). The visuals in the previews look pretty good, it has a solid studio behind it (MAPPA) and one of the most hilarious anime plot descriptions I've read in a long time. Plus the script composer and at least part of her writing team for the show also worked together on the well-regarded Chihayafuru. My biggest concern is that it's an anime original with what looks like a first-time series director, so there's also a high train wreck potential there, too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Masamune-kun looks like it could be funny, but Scum's Wish just looks depressing

Having read the first three manga volumes of the former and the first of the latter, you're on the right track. Masamune-kun treads a fine line between funny and mean, so I think how the lines are delivered will make a huge difference to how the anime plays out. Scum's Wish...well, yeah, it's depressing. And a little off-putting, honestly. I'm also expecting some censorship of the make-out scenes from the book, so honestly it may be the title I'm the most leery of going into the season.

I'm basing my expectations on your reviews! Wink Very Happy
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Agent355 Do you have a source for Rakugo being licensed by Amazon? Cause the first season was on CR and I don't expect that to change. Scum's Wish AFAIK is the show licensed by Amazon this season (which they have been more forthright about streaming date).

Until I saw your post, I was sure that Rakugo was Noitamina, but you're right, Scum's Wish is. Rakugo is Animeism (that is the actual name of the timeslot, not an otaku spiritual movement), but Amazon has streaming rights to it in Japan--thankfully, they're not exclusive, though. Hopefully, Crunchyroll will get it elsewhere.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

This is an interesting point to bring up. Shows that people expect to reel in viewers can completely flop and vice versa. Konosuba's first season I believe was going to be passed over by many before it became one of the biggest hits of winter 2016. Sadly enough, without actually seeing a show, we have to judge it off its premise and its pedigree- or the minds behind its creation. Trigger already has such a distinctive style( thxs to animators like Mr.Yoh), so Little Witch has got a following, and shows like Scum Wish have a ridiculously intriguing premise which hooks us in. I think by the halfway point of the season we should be able to tell which shows will disappoint and which we should've been paying attention to- the middle of a story is typically the hardest to write after all.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Actually, this and some other rumors I've herd recently about the exact nature of the relationship between the two leads (that they spoiler[are a couple to disguise the fact that each holds a forbidden love])

That's part of what makes it so depressing for me. Laughing It is interesting, though, I'll definitely give it that!
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Gintama is my most hyped for the year, let alone winter.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
I am most anticipating "Fuuka". I am glad that CR is streaming it and that Funi is simul-dubbing it. Ideally it will be 2-cour length.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
I even wrote an editorial gushing about the visual storytelling of the first few episodes!

That link doesn't go where it's supposed to.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Nick Creamer wrote:
I even wrote an editorial gushing about the visual storytelling of the first few episodes!

That link doesn't go where it's supposed to.

Fix'd. Had an extra quotation mark in the href tag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2