• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Manga Magazine Editor Arrested for Wife's Murder (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
It's funny how Japanese people cite one's one privacy yet when it comes to these things, privacy is thrown out the window. Very hypocritical.

Maybe that's WHY they're so uptight about their privacy and their space: They're afraid some gossiper is right around the corner.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Maybe that's WHY they're so uptight about their privacy and their space: They're afraid some gossiper is right around the corner.

Yeah, but I meant more like the average Joe would be uptight about their privacy yet at the same time they'll be eager to pry into the lives of a celebrity. I'm sure it's like this around the world, but Japanese people seem to value their privacy more than most, which makes it even more ridiculous when you see them apply different standards to public figures.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
More like society is like that, except also "guilty after proven innocent." People like Martha Stewart, and to a smaller extent Roman Polanski, were able to bounce back and make a living again. In Japan, even being suspected of being a criminal is enough to ruin the rest of your life.

Martha Stewart was accused of fraud and not murdering somebody. Roman Polanski was a foreigner and fled the country to avoid conviction for his rape crime. If he ever entered the United States again, certainly he would be arrested. I wonder if Park will try to go to South Korea to escape justice?

jr240483 wrote:
that there is an understatement. there is a small chance that the news of him killing his wife could be debunked. people should definitely wait until there is ironclad evidence that he did this which . if that happen, it's more or less will mean he's getting the death penalty for sure.

It's quite rare in Japan to be executed for murdering one person, unless committed in an absolutely heinous manner. He killed his wife, and will be sentenced to life in prison.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Yeah, but I meant more like the average Joe would be uptight about their privacy yet at the same time they'll be eager to pry into the lives of a celebrity. I'm sure it's like this around the world, but Japanese people seem to value their privacy more than most, which makes it even more ridiculous when you see them apply different standards to public figures.

After watching Good Morning Call last night, among many other things in the past, including just any general idol stuff and following it on the news, the way that Japanese people treat celebrities is indeed a little different than the west. Almost as if they aren't actually humans with the same rights as everyone else. Going back to Good Morning Call, the main male love interest is one of the Top 3 in the school, which means that all of the girls in school have agreed that he is off-limits because he belongs to everyone. That's the same way the idol industry works. You are the property of your fans, to be enjoyed by all. And therefore you don't have the same rights as a normal human. You exist to serve them. It's rather disconcerting. And people will watch their every move in order to keep those people in line. I do think gossip is worse in Japan than elsewhere, or at least very different. The vast majority of the gossip that I see here in the US is treated with general indifference. And if a celebrity is found committing a crime, or in a relationship, people generally care very little. I'm sure the fact that we do have a lot more on the news at any given time makes those things seem less significant, but even so.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
The vast majority of the gossip that I see here in the US is treated with general indifference. And if a celebrity is found committing a crime, or in a relationship, people generally care very little.

This is so funny and absolutely not true, in even the slightest way.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
The vast majority of the gossip that I see here in the US is treated with general indifference. And if a celebrity is found committing a crime, or in a relationship, people generally care very little.

Yeah, no, it is true actually.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
Martha Stewart was accused of fraud and not murdering somebody. Roman Polanski was a foreigner and fled the country to avoid conviction for his rape crime. If he ever entered the United States again, certainly he would be arrested. I wonder if Park will try to go to South Korea to escape justice?

The thing is that Martha Stewart and Roman Polanski can continue to find work. With the case of Polanski, he can only make movies outside of the United States, but he still has a fanbase who will watch his latest releases. As for Martha Stewart, people still trust her with money even after the dishonest things she did with her finances.

Neither of them are outright murder, but they were still crimes that would get them arrested--but the stigma of having been to prison goes away over time.

As for murderers, even that can go away with time, at least partially, if the person is famous and/or charismatic enough. There was that brief divide about the gang leader Tookie on death row with a lot of people claiming he reformed and should be set free while a lot of other people were not so forgiving (or trusting what he said) and claiming they should proceed with the execution.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

I actually agree with relyat08 on this one. Perhaps it's because crime and other scandals are a bit more frequent in the U.S. that it is not so surprising when someone, even if they're a celebrity, is caught. It doesn't mean there aren't people who care about this stuff, but the "news" generally fades within a week or so. In Japan, they'll literally discuss the story every day for a month. The scandal with Becky's affair with that married Gesu bandman had a spotlight on it for at least a month, and then when you think it's finally gone away, a couple weeks later they pick it up again after the slightest "new" development.

Check out some coverage of the aforementioned scandal here. Note the chart boards and how they feature a guest to join in on the discussion. Here is a YouTube playlist of coverage of the scandal by this one TV program (Miyaneya). While I'm not interested enough to make sure none of the videos are duplicates, there are FORTY videos on the list. That means this program, which is aired daily on weekdays during the afternoon, featured this scandal on their show around 40 separate times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3