• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
yeah... pass. there was one show I was curious about but i'll just let it go. I don't really use prime videos for much outside of ONE show (an amazon show) and I'm already done the newest season. the smarter move would to have made it a prime show instead of this new block. and I don't know if anyone else noticed but a LOT of the stuff I want to watch that amazon has I still have to pay to rent or own. pffft. their video platform is the most disappointing.
solarsun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
What Amazon SHOULD have done as have the 4.99 for NON prime members and have that bundled in with the regular prime sub. I'm not upgrading even though I LOVE lyrical nanoha and would love to have a legal way to watch Strikers here in the US.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I already have Prime, but I'm not sure about paying 5 extra dollars to watch two shows I'm not even 100% I'm going to like. I'll wait and see if Amazon changes their tune about this.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I found the way to give amazon feedback and sent them an email about how disappointed I was and that it didn't make sense to prime members that are already paying for exclusive content. Doubt it will do anything, but it was worth a shot
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I already have Prime, but I'm not sure about paying 5 extra dollars to watch two shows I'm not even 100% I'm going to like. I'll wait and see if Amazon changes their tune about this.

If the shows are your concern, you could just do the 7 day free trial to see if you like them. I can't say I disagree with waiting to see how this goes down, even if I'm not following it myself.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
phia_one wrote:

If the shows are your concern, you could just do the 7 day free trial to see if you like them. I can't say I disagree with waiting to see how this goes down, even if I'm not following it myself.

Yeah, I'm planning on waiting a little so that more episodes are up.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I understand that Amazon is saying that this was not their idea, so they need feedback from Prime paying customers that they can take to the content providers and say "See?". Amazon is the one paying good money for the content to the producers and making their customers upset is not something that they really want to have happen.

Mark Gosdin
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Explains Amazons recent decisions.

They'll certainly need more than 1-2 shows a season that CR lacks. Seeing they have some movies opens it to interest for me. Add a new movie every month and I'd be interested given no one else streams anime movies. Guess it all depends on how seriously they take it. Hopefully with this they license more anime content.

At least this might encourage Netflix to do a better job.

Last edited by _Quasar_ on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I understand that Amazon is saying that this was not their idea, so they need feedback from Prime paying customers that they can take to the content providers and say "See?". Amazon is the one paying good money for the content to the producers and making their customers upset is not something that they really want to have happen.

Mark Gosdin

Really? That's interesting. I may send a message to Amazon then.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Bitter sweat moment for me finally seeing Nonoha StrikerS available since I had a friend who was huge fan of the series. He passed away about 2 years ago. :,(

Last edited by Supermutant on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

Could you post source? Everything I've seen implies the opposite of this.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I've heard there more interested in making in-house anime over licenceing. Not sure if it's true just something I heard from a friend. Could be interesting if true but still wouldn't subscribe.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Could you post source? Everything I've seen implies the opposite of this.

In the earlier thread here on ANN about the placeholder pages that Amazon put up : animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4864228#4864228

As a Prime customer I did email them feedback on this suggesting that they push back to the content providers that the change was not being accepted well by Amazon's customers.

Mark Gosdin
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This makes me so angry. Getting exclusive rights to shows, withholding them in some territories without any explanation or start date, and then finally releasing them--for a premium extra fee. That's really sucky behavior.
This is the post from the placeholder's page thread:
chaccide wrote:
I wrote Amazon and they replied:

Quote:
I understand your concern regarding the pricing of the season pass. The main reason behind this is due to contractual restrictions and based on content provider discretion. From the perspective of a service provider, it is certainly not something that we would want for our loyal paying customers.

However, I’m sure you will understand that it is not Amazon who has taken this decision but something that we receive from content provider/producer’s end.

Having said this, strong feedback from customers like you be certainly valuable for us.

Strong feedback is valuable. I suggest offering it.

So, what does this mean? Fuji TV asked Amazon to charge American customers extra, but Canadian, European, or Australian customers are exempt from the new pricing plan? An "Only price gouge Americans!" doesn't make any sense, even with all the other regional BS anime production committees ask of anime streaming services. I'm not sure I believe it, since the average Amazon customer service agent might not be privy to those details anyway. When I contacted Amazon in September to ask why Funi wo Amu wasn't on American Prime after it was released elsewhere, customer service claimed that Amazon didn't have exclusive rights to Noitamina shows worldwide, which wasn't true. I wish someone from Amazon Prime's streaming video programming department could explain their strategy more directly. Saw this on Twitter today:
Quote:
Zac Bertschy (@ANNZac) tweeted at 10:10 AM - 12 Jan 2017 :

I have an interview request out to Amazon to talk about Anime Strike. Hopefully I'll get the chance to ask some questions - I have many! (http://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/819607479231221761?s=17)

Thanks, Zac! I'm glad ANN is on top of this and I hope you get that interview!
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Got a response back from Amazon to my email regarding how their Anime Strike rollout has been handled, the key part is this:

Quote:
I thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, I can understand that you are interested to watch the animated series with Prime, so I am taking your email as feedback and forwarded to the Amazon Instant Video business team, so that they can take it into consideration and take needful steps for the same.

Hopefully my and the other Anime Fan / Prime Customers emails reach Amazon's Video business team where they can serve as a tool in rectifying this situation vs the responsible content providers.

Mark Gosdin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10