• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Sudden Rise of Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd say the same is true for DOAX3: Koei-Tecmo withdrew the game but kept English-language subtitles, I believe, because they feel the game is so niche, so fringe, as to be unprofitable in the Anglosphere, with the English translation there because they knew whatever few people were buying them would be dedicated enough to import them. (DOAX2 was not exactly a top seller either, and if I recall correctly, barely broke even, meaning Koei-Tecmo's American and European branches could use their time and resources more efficiently by choosing other games to bring over that they feel are more profitable, like the Hyrule Warriors games.)

Unfortunate for your argument, where you cite absolute zero sources other than your own biased mind, there is cold hard data that absolutely refutes your argument. For both DOAX and DOAX2, North America was by far and away the most profitable region. For DAOX in Japan it sold around 140k copies whereas in North America it sold 360k copies. For DOAX2 in Japan it sold 60k copies whereas in North America it sold 150k copies. (Source)

It makes zero sense from a financial/business view to withhold selling DOAX3 in North America when that was the region which sold the most copies of prior DOAX games.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd say the same is true for DOAX3: Koei-Tecmo withdrew the game but kept English-language subtitles, I believe, because they feel the game is so niche, so fringe, as to be unprofitable in the Anglosphere, with the English translation there because they knew whatever few people were buying them would be dedicated enough to import them. (DOAX2 was not exactly a top seller either, and if I recall correctly, barely broke even, meaning Koei-Tecmo's American and European branches could use their time and resources more efficiently by choosing other games to bring over that they feel are more profitable, like the Hyrule Warriors games.)

Unfortunate for your argument, where you cite absolute zero sources other than your own biased mind, there is cold hard data that absolutely refutes your argument. For both DOAX and DOAX2, North America was by far and away the most profitable region. For DAOX in Japan it sold around 140k copies whereas in North America it sold 360k copies. For DOAX2 in Japan it sold 60k copies whereas in North America it sold 150k copies. (Source)

It makes zero sense from a financial/business view to withhold selling DOAX3 in North America when that was the region which sold the most copies of prior DOAX games.

Your seriously going to use Vgchartz as a source,which isn't reliable at all Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I think you're not fully aware of what was changed in the localization. In addition to the head patting, they removed swimsuits and other cosmetic costumes,

Those I'am intimately familiar with and while it is stupid it's not anything that ruins the game or adds to the immersion.

Stuart Smith wrote:
removed some support conversations entirely,

Let me guess Saizo & Beruka's C-Support which seems to be the only altered support people take issue with besides Corrin & Soliel's S-support.

Stuart Smith wrote:
and completely rewrote many others in addition to changing many character personalities and interactions.

Not censorship.

Megiddo wrote:

It makes zero sense from a financial/business point of view to pretend that two video games selling less than half a million copies equals huge success. A game selling that many copies in market like the U.S. is considered a dud...unless the game cost peanuts to make.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Megiddo wrote:

It makes zero sense from a financial/business point of view to pretend that two video games selling less than half a million copies equals huge success. A game selling that many copies in market like the U.S. is considered a dud...unless the game cost peanuts to make.

500,000 copies for a Japanese title is considered a dud? Just how little about video game sales do you know? This might shock you, but ya know that Persona video game RPG series? Pretty popular among anime fans you'd say, right? Well, there hasn't been a single Persona release that sold more copies in North America than what DOAX sold. So unless you're saying there's no reason to bring over Persona 5 because all the previous Persona games are "duds" then you are hilariously delirious when it comes to just how much Japanese titles typically sell in North America.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Your seriously going to use Vgchartz as a source,which isn't reliable at all

If you have a better source, put up or shut up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

500,000 copies for a Japanese title is considered a dud? Just how little about video game sales do you know? This might shock you, but ya know that Persona video game RPG series? Pretty popular among anime fans you'd say, right?

No I actually wouldn't say that. Since it's popular among RPG players too.

Megiddo wrote:
Well, there hasn't been a single Persona release that sold more copies in North America than what DOAX sold.

Persona has lifetime sales of about 6 million copies worldwide. I don't know exactly what the lifetime sales of DOAX are but I would likely estimate it's much lower than that. In order words even if the DOAX games outsell Persona in the U.S. by a few extra thousand that doesn't really change the fact that DOAX is incredibly niche game with few redeeming qualities and poor gameplay....that's nowhere as popular or celebrated as the Persona games.

Megiddo wrote:
So unless you're saying there's no reason to bring over Persona 5 because all the previous Persona games are "duds" then you are hilariously delirious when it comes to just how much Japanese titles typically sell in North America.

Except I'm not pretending all Japanese video games make the kind of bank Mario, Sonic, or even Final Fanatasy games typical make. So why make his blind assumption?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The "assumption" comes from your own words.

Quote:

That was your argument, right? That less than 500,000 copies sold in the North American market is somehow a dud? So the Persona games since none have sold 500,000 copies or more in North America and none have sold more copies than DOAX are duds.

That's bollocks. Selling 360k and even 150k is rather good for a Japanese title in North America. Therefore my previous assertion holds: It made zero sense from a purely financial or business perspective to withhold DOAX3 from the North American market since that market had the highest sales for previous DOAX games.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It made zero sense from a purely financial or business perspective to withhold DOAX3 from the North American market since that market had the highest sales for previous DOAX games.

I felt that Koei-Tecmo could have alternatively made DOAX3 available digitally if they were so concerned about any controversy affecting its selling potential...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Let me guess Saizo & Beruka's C-Support which seems to be the only altered support people take issue with besides Corrin & Soliel's S-support.

They also removed gender-specific supports like Syalla/Kamui.

Quote:
Not censorship.

A change is a change. Some of the supports included things like breasts and sex so it could easilly be argued for censorship in Nintendo not wanting to have characters talking about body parts or sexual subjects. Foleo, for example, tricking men into thinking he's a girl and seducing them.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Your seriously going to use Vgchartz as a source,which isn't reliable at all

VGchartz is fine for Japanese games, since those actually get reported every week. It's western games that usually dontnreport concrete sales numbers so VGchartz guesses.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
That was your argument, right? That less than 500,000 copies sold in the North American market is somehow a dud?

Depending on factors such how much money was sunk into the production,development, & marketing of a game along with the market a game selling less than 500,000 copies can be considered a dud. That better and less vague?

Megiddo wrote:
Persona games since none have sold 500,000 copies or more in North America and none have sold more copies than DOAX are duds.

Except here's the problem with your argument Atlus doesn't expect any of their games to sell a huge amount of copies. Yes Persona "may" have not sold more than any of the DOAX games in North America. That doesn't really disregard the fact that all the Persona games have been brought stateside going from that it's easy to assume they sell and make enough money for Atlus to keep bringing them to North America. Something we can't really say is the case for DOAX simply because we're supposed to believe via VGChartz showing two games in the series sold a combined 511,000 copies in North America.

Megiddo wrote:
That's bollocks. Selling 360k and even 150k is rather good for a Japanese title in North America

Never mind the fact I can count on both hands a number of titles with less shallow gameplay that have sold better than that. What you might think is good for two different games isn't what Tecmo-Koei might see as being "rather good". Heck if the first game got those 360k in sales and it's sequel got 150K as a follow up that's not good by any metric. As it's shows less people bought the 2nd game for whatever reason. I mean spin it however want but the optics don't look very good.

Megiddo wrote:
Therefore my previous assertion holds

It actually doesn't but okay.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Foleo, for example, tricking men into thinking he's a girl and seducing them.

That walks a fine line between being terrible and not.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Not censorship.

Not in the classic sense, but it is censorship, nonetheless.

I have no problem with localization, but when things are taken away or written in such a way to completely make the original meaning or plot disappear completely to appease western PC sensibilities, well that is a problem.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
[quote="TarsTarkas"]
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I have no problem with localization, but when things are taken away or written in such a way to completely make the original meaning or plot disappear completely to appease western PC sensibilities, well that is a problem.

This is the crux of it right here. When a work's themes and meaning are changed for an audience, it is censorship, plain and simple.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

This is the crux of it right here. When a work's themes and meaning are changed for an audience, it is censorship, plain and simple.

This just happens to be the case with Satan from Puyo Puyo Tetris not too long ago...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

The works "themes and meanings" in this particular case included a petting mini-game most of the people complaining about were never buying it for in the first place. But took issue with because you couldn't do it with everyone of the NPC's in the game. Along with arguing the entire script was horrible because of a "few" aspects being altered in the localization as opposed to changes being legitimately awful.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The works "themes and meanings" in this particular case included a petting mini-game most of the people complaining about were never buying it for in the first place. But took issue with because you couldn't do it with everyone of the NPC's in the game. Along with arguing the entire script was horrible because of a "few" aspects being altered in the localization as opposed to changes being legitimately awful.

I am not arguing about play ability or the literary merits of the 'edited for content' game. I am arguing that it is wrong that one group of people gets to tell us that we are not allowed to play or see certain content, that was in the original game, because they can't handle it or it goes against their values.

It is no different than throwing books in the fire, because the content supposedly didn't meet the community's values. Though nowadays, it is easy to edit books for content, or just make them unavailable for purchase.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
^ I understand that but these people seem to be in minority compared to the number of people still losing their collective shit over these changes under the idea they ruin the games in unforgivable way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8