• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 6-Year-Old Idol Skips Kindergarten After TV Program Falsely Reports Boy She Likes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Why is this even news?

Because you clicked on it. And everyone here clicked on it. And all the people in Japan commenting on it, clicked on it. The reporting outlets wanted your attention and the attention of as many others as possible, and this sort of thing grabs attention. They got what they wanted, a little girl cried, and all of us get to be outraged by one part or another of the whole thing.

(I'm not talking from any moral high ground or anything, 'cause I clicked on it too.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Why is a 6 year old child even an idol anyway? Are they that desperate to find people?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ruh wrote:
Also, I don't know if it's just the translation but what it is reported she said is really fishy to me, don't you guys think?
I mean, almost like something made up or got from some anime.
Quote:
"Even though I said there's no one I like... Why?... They would lie?..."

Also, I get the same feeling seeing her representative's reaction. Why he wouldn't want to prosecute the TV show? Why just go with "It's not really their fault".

Maybe it's just a made up drama for marketing purposes of her career.

There is nothing to prosecute. It is not a crime to print or talk about gossip. If she had the money she could try and sue the TV station for damages. But she would have to prove they lied and if there was actual damages.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it starts with skipping a day or two of kindergarten. Which naturally leads to hanging around the "wrong" crowd. Suddenly, your new boyfriend is a yanqui with bleached blonde hair and a nose ring. He offers you a cigarette. Flashforward a couple of years, you're a toothless meth-head holding up convenie stores. The inevitable arc of a Japanese child star.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
You may notice several posts have been removed. If you don't want your posts removed avoid provocation and stay on topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sure, it starts with skipping a day or two of kindergarten. Which naturally leads to hanging around the "wrong" crowd. Suddenly, your new boyfriend is a yanqui with bleached blonde hair and a nose ring. He offers you a cigarette. Flashforward a couple of years, you're a toothless meth-head holding up convenie stores. The inevitable arc of a Japanese child star.

That's... really dark, Blood-.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I think the word "idol" might be misapplied here.

Was Shirley Temple an idol? How about the kids on the old Mickey Mouse Club, or all the kids who have appeared on situation comedies about families over the years?

The well-known seiyuu Yuuki Aoi began her acting career at age four and appeared on television variety shows starting around age seven.

I think the biggest issue in this story was revealing the name of the boy without, as far as I can tell, any effort to obtain the permission of his parents. If anyone was injured by this event it was he.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think Furutachi-sun was not wise bringing up such a personal matter on air from the start.

If any of our news channels in the U.S. doing what Furutachi-sun did to Ai-chan, outrage from parents and child-advocates is sure to happen (and rightfully so).
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
That poor boy he is so get bullied by the other boys at their school. I really do feel for him
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Was Shirley Temple an idol? How about the kids on the old Mickey Mouse Club, or all the kids who have appeared on situation comedies about families over the years?

The difference is that Shirley Temple, the Mickey Mouse Club members, etc., they were all entertainers of some variety - actors, actresses, singers, etc., who appealed to a broad range of demographics because of their talents. Shirley Temple was popular because she was a legitimately skilled performer, not because strange adult men wanted to pay money to shake her hand and lift her up in the air at meet-and-greet events. The popularity of child idols in Japan comes from a completely different, wholly disturbing place.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Crawling to walking to idol love life, gotcha.

Nothing creepy whatsoever. Shocked
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The Idol culture is strange sometimes.

Reminds me of Perfect Blue.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I think Furutachi-sun was not wise bringing up such a personal matter on air from the start.

If any of our news channels in the U.S. doing what Furutachi-sun did to Ai-chan, outrage from parents and child-advocates is sure to happen (and rightfully so).

I highly doubt it would even make the real news, might be on the gossip news. We have our own idols, they are called Hollywood child actors, might even apply to our music industry too.

No one bats an eye, except the gossip rags and shows.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

The difference is that Shirley Temple, the Mickey Mouse Club members, etc., they were all entertainers of some variety - actors, actresses, singers, etc., who appealed to a broad range of demographics because of their talents. Shirley Temple was popular because she was a legitimately skilled performer, not because strange adult men wanted to pay money to shake her hand and lift her up in the air at meet-and-greet events. The popularity of child idols in Japan comes from a completely different, wholly disturbing place.

This story reports that Ai-chan does indeed sing and dance and includes the comment
Quote:
Afterwards, they also interviewed fans and asked why they enjoy watching a little girl sing on stage. Some people said that with Ai-chan, they don’t have to worry about any kind of scandal ruining her image. Others said that it made them feel like parents themselves, rooting her on and hoping she does well.

I understand your concerns, but I suspect there might have been some creepy adult men in the audience for Shirley Temple's performances as well. I don't read Japanese so I didn't find any stories about possible meet-and-greet events or the kinds of things like those Twister games we read about in an earlier story about young idols. I'm just saying there is nothing intrinsically different between Ai-chan and Temple, though I'm not a big fan of injecting little kids into stage careers in any society.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Oh crap, when I worked at my part time job on Monday, my Japanese partners were talking about someone named Ai-chan and some boy she likes. I didn't know what they meant but now after reading this, it can't be too much of a coincidence, I hope they didn't talk about this Ai-chan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5