• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yoshiyuki Tomino's attitude about everything

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beldarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
As we all know, Mr. Tomino (father of Gundam) is the Grumpy Cat of the animation industry. The old not-quite-gentleman seems to hate pretty much everything modern, and even some things from his own generation.

I was about to reply to one of the "Interest" topics in the Talkback forum, until I noticed the last post date. So I figured "Why not?" and thought about starting a thread to discuss Tomino's grumpy opinions and whether we agree or disagree with them.

Discussion rules
Official rules thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31 ...Read them and act accordingly, please. No flame wars, calling other people out for their opinions or attacking somebody.

Tomino's opinions
On modern voice actors and how they sound the same / Original discussion thread (quote the posts in this thread, don't necropost on the original)
On Attack on Titan / Original discussion (quote the posts in this thread, don't necropost on the original)

...So, the opinion I was about to post had to do with the voice actors, and specifically this comment:

mangamuscle wrote:
I would not be surprised if what he really means is "you need to sound like the voice actors from the animes of my youth" Rolling Eyes

And I have to admit I agree with Tomino if this is what he meant. I've noticed that voice actors of the modern generation keep getting cast in anime roles because they're popular with fangirls and -boys, not because they're actually talented or sound unique. ...I mean, I love Kaito Ishikawa, Nobunaga Shimazaki and the rest, but do their voices actually ever change? Haru from Free! and Furuya from Ace of Diamond have the exact same voice, and I can never recognize Ishikawa in anything since his voice is rather ordinary (the only role where he sounds different is Seiya from Saint Seiya: Legend of Sanctuary, simply because Seiya is excitable; most of the Ishikawa roles I've heard have been stoic).

The younger generation of voice actors, especially the girls, also sound cutesy and kind of like carbon copies of the original "moe" (the latter of which include Megumi Hayashibara, Kotono Mitsuishi, Yuri Shiratori and Satomi Koorogi)... even guys get this treatment since I've noticed the modern generation barely has any deep, manly voices and most of them just sound like bishounen princes, raging tsunderes or cute teenagers. When compared to the deep voices of the 1980s, the modern ones seem to lack something... I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but Hideyuki Tanaka and Hideyuki Hori sure sound manlier than most of what the new generation can offer.

...I've gone through the "Yume-Ouji" (100 princes) game's official character page, and most princes played by newbie voice actors sound the same to me (like, if you asked me which prince was played by Yuuichirou Umehara, I couldn't tell - but if you asked me to pinpoint Takeshi Kusao in anything, I could do it in a millisecond). And to this day, I still know Natsuki Hanae as "the guy who sounds like Yuki Kaida" (because he does).

Like... Shunsuke Takeuchi is rare in the younger generation since he has the type of voice that the heroes of 1980s had (he sounds like a much older man at 19 than most people do in their 40s). Yuuichi Iguchi - who I haven't actually seen in anything yet - also has such a huge range it's a wonder why he isn't used more; his vocal range goes from convincing young girls to convincing 80-year-old men. ...Kenji Hamada, my top-third favorite voice actor, also breaks away from the "typical bishounen trope" by having a deeper voice more reminiscent of the 1980s; my top-second favorite, Daisuke Hirakawa, plays the "bishounen" trope straight but I couldn't help it with this guy (his range is quite big, plus the guy himself is probably the friendliest and most positive voice actor ever).

...I admit I'm an old school fangirl and probably biased as a result. Though this is coming from a woman who got into anime via Bleach in 2006; then I watched Saint Seiya and noticed straight away that the 1980s voices were more unique and memorable than anything in Bleach was. ...It appears Eiichiro Oda of One Piece thinks about old school the same way I do, given the way he gets all the veterans to play his characters... I actually predicted Tessho Genda would play Kaido and look what happened.

I don't hate modern voice actors... I actually have several favorites among them. It's just I prefer deeper voices in general and these "attractive pretty boy" voices prevalent in modern anime kind of turn me off. I've watched Saint Seiya, Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers and Future GPX Cyber Formula... and got to admit, I prefer these series and their voice actors to most anime coming out today. So here I am, watching One Piece and fangirling because Hideyuki Tanaka, Hideyuki Hori, Yuji Mitsuya, Tessho Genda, Toru Furuya, Hirohiko Kakegawa and practically everybody in Saint Seiya is in it. Not to mention we got to hear the rare villainous Hideyuki Tanaka (his forte have always been heroes; I've barely heard him play villains... so far just three).

The best possible anime and games, in my opinion, would have a nice mix of veterans and newbies. This is what both One Piece and Super Robot Wars have accomplished. ...If it wasn't for the latter series, I wouldn't have noticed how awesome Mikako Takahashi actually is (she can scream "CHESTO!" with as much power and gusto as Kenichi Ono...).

So, tl;dr, I agree with Tomino on both the voice actors AND Attack on Titan (AoT's manga art looks like a kid's sketchbook... seriously, that's Isayama's debut work? Um. Check out Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal... that was his debut work. Now, compare their skills at drawing and character design. It's painfully obvious which one's more talented.).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1