• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fuuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
HolyR wrote:
Man, I watched a bit of this and having read the manga I just wanna say that Seo Kouji's fanservice is a special kind of suck. It's always so stilted and uncomfortable and so far away from intimate that it just becomes gross.

I agree. I can think of several title pages that were so egregiously out of place with the story's overall trajectory that I had to stop and wonder what the hell the artist was even thinking. "Here's a heartwarming flashback to a character's childhood, now here's that same character's panty-covered crotch peeking out of her jean shorts."
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
As much as I can't stand Fuuka, she makes an excellent point. Yuu is WAY too upset about what's being said on Twitter. Also, the people hassling Yuu's have no life. Koyuki has a crush on her childhood friend and they're looking at him like he shouldn't be the object of her affections??? They're talking throwing glass bottles at him! If one of things hits anyone in the band, those guys are going to jail. People are so stupid. This type of thing doesn't even happen in real life: a bunch of fans assaulting their idol's crush. Unheard of. Mad
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
They're talking throwing glass bottles at him! If one of things hits anyone in the band, those guys are going to jail.

But this is anime. Police enforcement or laws that are broken that have actual consequences do not exist.

Things like kidnapping, which is an automatic life sentence if conficted in the USA, are always hand waived in anime for drama purposes?
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Natalie_Black wrote:
Actually I'm learning to play bass for a month and it's pretty funny how it's so easy for those characters to play... not just their instrument, but to actually play together... So if this is about music, this anime ignored the learning process...

I'm about to drop this anime... I'll guess I'll stick with it for a few more weeks because people are saying that gets better and better... we'll see....

If you're looking for a real music anime that goes through the process of learning how to play an instrument, I recommend Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad or K-on.

K-On? Real music anime?
Excuse me?

Nodame Cantabile, Sakamichi no Apollon & Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso have actually better real musical content overall. Learning how to play isn't really what makes an actual "real" music anime.

K-On is 90% drinking tea, eating cakes and acting like a retard for the "cutes" and "moes".
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
K-On is 90% drinking tea, eating cakes and acting like a retard for the "cutes" and "moes".

Ooh, finally an excuse to break out the jpeg that's saved in my bookmark folder under the title,
"you'd best watch what you say about K-On around here, son"!

...by which I mean, I'm not exactly watching Fuuka for the music content, either.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
C+ really?

You are cancelled writer
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zzshcl wrote:
C+ really?

You are cancelled writer

Let's not kid ourselves here; this current arc was the manga's absolute weakest point when it came to crafting a compelling or exciting narrative.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Natalie_Black wrote:
Actually I'm learning to play bass for a month and it's pretty funny how it's so easy for those characters to play... not just their instrument, but to actually play together... So if this is about music, this anime ignored the learning process...

I'm about to drop this anime... I'll guess I'll stick with it for a few more weeks because people are saying that gets better and better... we'll see....

If you're looking for a real music anime that goes through the process of learning how to play an instrument, I recommend Beck - Mongolian Chop Squad or K-on.

K-On? Real music anime?
Excuse me?

Nodame Cantabile, Sakamichi no Apollon & Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso have actually better real musical content overall. Learning how to play isn't really what makes an actual "real" music anime.

Whoa! Take it easy. I just put down the first ones that came to mind. Can't write all music anime. Smile
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Whoa! Take it easy. I just put down the first ones that came to mind. Can't write all music anime. Smile

Sorry, didn't meant to sound rude.

Just wanted to point out there were way better examples (and as you pointed out Beck, I thought it was nearly offensive even consider K-On on pair with it).

Heck, Hibike! Euphonium was like a good K-On, if anything I would recommend that instead *salty tears for wasting my time with that series and getting frustrated over any attention or praise K-On gains since then*
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Sorry, didn't meant to sound rude.

Just wanted to point out there were way better examples (and as you pointed out Beck, I thought it was nearly offensive even consider K-On on pair with it).

Heck, Hibike! Euphonium was like a good K-On, if anything I would recommend that instead *salty tears for wasting my time with that series and getting frustrated over any attention or praise K-On gains since then*

I understand. Very Happy
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Yeah, Beck is one of those shows that my friends who were in bands back in college have consistently recommended to me when they first find out I'm into anime, usually in the form of, "have you heard of this show, Beck? It really captures the feeling of trying to make it as a musician!" I've never really met anyone who got into K-On because it was a show about music.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first five episodes of Beck and it is indisputably a well done show, but I personally found it dull as dish water.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
There are actually two related anime/manga: Suzuka, which is about Fuuka's spoiler[parents and how they got together], and A Town Where You Live, which is more of a "story that takes place in the same universe" than anything.

The anime adaptation of Suzuka was a mainstay of the mid-00s Funimation catalog, and was generally pretty watchable....

I sometimes feel like Seo's works are cursed when it comes to anime adaptations. I haven't seen them yet, but I've heard both adaptations of A Town Where You Live were poor -- but I really enjoyed the manga. I have seen Suzuka, and it was a decent anime, like you said, but the manga was far better. I haven't read any of Fuuka (was waiting for it to end, to be honest) but here we are and the manga-readers are talking smack on the anime.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

Happy to hear this. I generally enjoyed K-On! (even if it wasn't as music-focused as I would like), and I haven't yet but want to check out Hibike Euphonium.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
danpmss wrote:

Happy to hear this. I generally enjoyed K-On! (even if it wasn't as music-focused as I would like), and I haven't yet but want to check out Hibike Euphonium.

It's more or less like...

Invert the ammount of time dedicated to "cute girls doing cute things" and "actual music related content" in K-On!, and what you get is Hibike! Euphonium, also better written overall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7