• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hunter × Hunter Creator Tops Fan Poll of Manga Artists With Too Many Breaks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
wait people actually like hunter x hunter
how is that even possible
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with Hunter x Hunter basically being over tbh. The Chimera Ant arc was probably the best thing I've ever seen in a manga.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised to see Suzue Miuchi is on the list, let alone being #2. XP
I know Glass Mask was on a very long hiatus, and I believe it might be on hiatus again. I don't think Volume 50 has been released yet, after the delay announcement a few years ago?

Sadly, not like it matters too much here in the states, since I doubt we'll ever get Glass Mask, but I would love to know its actual ending sooner than what she had considered to be "soon" back in... 2010? Whenever it was she said that it would be ending "soon".
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Kazushi Hagiwara should have been #1. The latest Bastard!! volume came out 5 years ago, and every single page in it was reworked from doujinshi he had self-published many years before, which means he hasn't produced any truly new material for 8 years now.

I think Togashi is only #1 because HxH happens to be much more popular than any other manga on the list, but he at least managed to complete 4 volumes over the past 5 years.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Next Dimemsion's main problem is that Kuru wants to color every single page
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
snip.

Lol evidence. You want his medical records? Your Dragon Quest memes have way less evidence, but you spout them like concrete proof that the man is what you want to think of him as. You then contradict yourself with "BUT THEN HE NEEDS TO SAY THAT and stop straining people along", except he has and you even said it.

"Oda has health struggles but he takes breaks every so many weeks," Its almost like they're two different people.

picture of him having party
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Next Dimemsion's main problem is that Kuru wants to color every single page

Honestly, Kurumada's inclusion is kind of cheating, because it's not like he doesn't draw any manga while ND is on hiatus. When he's not doing ND, he's usually doing something else, like more Otoko Zaka or (in the case of 2014-2015) his other 40th Anniversary work, like the Raimei no Zaji Special Chapter or Indigo Period.

This is unlike people like Togashi or Hagiawara, who literally don't draw anything at all (at least, to our knowledge).
Shinuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
One of, IMO, most overrated Mangaka in the world. Constant breaks, clearly has no desire to continue working. He continues to claim "Back Problems." yet provides no evidence, has a self proclaimed "Addiction" to Dragon's Quest and clearly thinks of himself before the fans.

If he truly wanted HXH to succeed he'd be the writer and let someone else be the artist. He is clearly content to sit on his money and only show up once every few years when he needs to remind people he's not a complete slacker. At least some Manga with long breaks were cause the artist still wanted to do other things (Berserk) or had a clear and noted condition (Ballroom). Yet Togashi continues to slid by on "Back Problems so bad he can't sit?" I'm sorry how does someone take years off and only get about 10 chapters of backlog, it's insulting to the readers who enjoy his work.

IDK maybe he really is so sickly he can't drawn, BUT THEN HE NEEDS TO SAY THAT and stop straining people along. I don't even read HXH but it pisses me off that people call this guy one of the greatest when he clearly does as little work as possible and keeps the fans in a perpetual state of limbo. Oda has health struggles but he takes breaks every so many weeks, why can't Togashi do this, or go monthly like Araki did, or do something to get chapters out on a consistent basis.

Again this is just my opinion but this guy is a a chronic Liar who has scammed people for years and people who continue to allow him to make excuses are only perpetuating the problem.

Wait, i have to answer this, you're so ignorant that is hilarious! you talk about things that you literally know nothing about Laughing

First:

"One of, IMO, most overrated Mangaka in the world"

And after this you say:

"I don't even read HXH"

Well, i don't really need to say anything right? also, overrated is Fairy Tail that is a piece of shit and yet is huge popular for whatever reason...

And people doesn't call Togashi "one of the greatest" because his "work ethic", is because he is the writter of two arguably masterpieces of shounen mangas. YuYu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. Mashima can release thre chapters in a week and never take breaks but this doesn't make him less bad as a writter.

Second:

"He continues to claim "Back Problems." yet provides no evidence"

Maybe if you're not so lazy, you would make a quickly search and find that in the hiatus before the last, the own magazine stated that he entered in hiatus due a sudden need to make a surgery in his back! the Dragon Quest thing is just a old joke.

Third:

"If he truly wanted HXH to succeed"

What you're talking about? HxH is one of the biggest mangas in Japan and in the world, is huge popular.

Also, how funny is that you mention Miura as a example when Miura constantly puts Berserk in hiatus literally because he gets bored, he doesn't have health problems, he just don't want to draw Berserk, but hey, he is a example, while Togashi is the devil right? such a joke.

Fourth:

"IDK maybe he really is so sickly he can't drawn, BUT THEN HE NEEDS TO SAY THAT"

Man, you really don't know what you're talking about ! you just contradicted yourself:

"He continues to claim "Back Problems."

LMAO!

And just to finish:

"Again this is just my opinion but this guy is a a chronic Liar who has scammed people for years and people who continue to allow him to make excuses are only perpetuating the problem."

Seriously, you just call someone that actually has health problems a "chronic liar" when you're not even do your research and not even read the manga! doesn't matter if is your "opinion", your comment was just really ignorant, think before open your mouth or before use your keyboard lol
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I do have to agree with another poster, the fact is HxH is probably one of the best shonen ever written, and people complain the most about Togashi because they actually want to see more of the work. If HxH was really crap like some claim, nobody would even care about his breaks.

Also how is Yukiru Sugisaki not on this list and not in the top two? At least Togashi completed something. Her two most well known works are both stuck in limbo, DN Angel and Candidate for the Goddess. I mean she is basically the Japanese Im Dal, who kind of also should be on this list, starts a bunch of works and never finishes anything.

I would Im Dal as well, since he kind of broke through to the Japanese market with Freezing despite being a Korean writer, but his unfinished/hiatus catalogue makes Togashi and HxH look like the hardest working man on the planet.

I guess the latter two are not on the list because its more of the work is not complete and probably never will, rather than some kind of known hiatus.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Well, I hope he comes back soon...I don't read the HxH manga but I loved the HxH anime a lot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:

Also, how funny is that you mention Miura as a example when Miura constantly puts Berserk in hiatus literally because he gets bored, he doesn't have health problems, he just don't want to draw Berserk, but hey, he is a example, while Togashi is the devil right? such a joke.

Even as an example that's a rather weird argument for a guy whose "supposedly" bored of drawing Berserk remains consistenly one of the best drawn mangas out there.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Never been too interested in Hunter x Hunter luckily. Shame about DGM though, I'm leaving all the latest chapters to just read later in one go.
Deynard21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Surprised Oda isn't on that list at all. Sure he only takes 1 break a month but he's consistent with it xD

Oda has special contract so he can rest. He draws around 20h per day so he has signed contract with Shueisha for 50 pages per month which are 3 chapters win usually 4 weeks.

Moreover normal fans understand that he has right to rest, he is god but drawing for 20 years is tiring.

diamoundheadx wrote:

Just watch anime made in 2011. It's like 12/10. And stop spamming.
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Just seeing Suzue Miuchi's name makes my heart hurt. The word "soon" isn't what she thinks it is...

But honestly not surprised Togashi is at the top. At the same time, a person's health comes before manga, and everything else. If someone physically cannot focus on their work without a health issue, I would rather them take a break until they're able. To ignore that and demand he pump out chapters for our entertainment is just selfish.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
I expected Kentaro Miura to be higher on the list. At least Togashi comes across as actually liking drawing manga. Miura feels like the kind of guy you have to drag kicking and screaming back into his studio/office/wherever he draws Berserk from. He's like that Otter 11 guy in Bakuman., except no one can find anything to bait him into coming back.

KH91 wrote:
Congrats to Togashi. The Great Hiatus arc is truly a masterpiece. I hope it never ends.

The problem is that it's hard to tell when it just suddenly stops and starts back up. There's no build-up, foreshadowing, Chekhov's Guns, or plants and payoffs. Togashi's better at storytelling than that.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing First Hunter x Hunter scored second place on that WSJ poll and now Togashi won this one! Dude can literally do whatever he wants, not even WSJ could touch him.

He can win whatever polls he wants too. He could be our next president if he was eligible. Helps fuel is hiatuses more.

Beansprout Midget wrote:

Although, in return it made me laugh to see Masami Kurumada (for Saint Seiya Next Dimension) and Yoshiki Takaya (for one of my favorites, Guyver) on there. Glad to see the fans are still around, and I'm not the only Guyver fan in this world.

My father quite enjoyed Guyver...though as far as I could discern, he only watched the live-action movies. You know, the ones written by David Hayter.

Snakebit1995 wrote:
If he truly wanted HXH to succeed he'd be the writer and let someone else be the artist. He is clearly content to sit on his money and only show up once every few years when he needs to remind people he's not a complete slacker. At least some Manga with long breaks were cause the artist still wanted to do other things (Berserk) or had a clear and noted condition (Ballroom). Yet Togashi continues to slid by on "Back Problems so bad he can't sit?" I'm sorry how does someone take years off and only get about 10 chapters of backlog, it's insulting to the readers who enjoy his work.

The fallacy here is that Hunter X Hunter has already succeeded as a manga. It's viewed very highly by Japanese and westerners alike, the 2011 anime brought in big numbers, and the volumes sell well. Togashi doesn't owe anybody anything. (Well, maybe except banks and his friends or something, but not his fans.)

diamoundheadx wrote:

It'spossible because it's fun to read and has relatable characters. Simple as that.

Lord Geo wrote:
This is unlike people like Togashi or Hagiawara, who literally don't draw anything at all (at least, to our knowledge).

Well, Togashi does draw a few doodles here and there. The most recent One Piece Color Walk ("Tyrannosaurus," I think) had Togashi's drawing of Monkey D. Luffy in it.

Tsumikisan wrote:
Just seeing Suzue Miuchi's name makes my heart hurt. The word "soon" isn't what she thinks it is...

But honestly not surprised Togashi is at the top. At the same time, a person's health comes before manga, and everything else. If someone physically cannot focus on their work without a health issue, I would rather them take a break until they're able. To ignore that and demand he pump out chapters for our entertainment is just selfish.

Yeah, it's why I felt a bit dismayed to see Daisuke Ashihara on the list (World Trigger). The man suffers from early-age arthritis on his shoulders, elbows, and wrists that causes him to hurt and become stiff if he draws too much, which got so bad that he became incapacitated. The manga's been forced into an indefinite hiatus, as it's unclear if Ashihara will ever recover enough to continue. He shouldn't be on the list because his hiatuses are not his fault, and he needed those breaks to allow his arms to recover so he could draw at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4