• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hunter × Hunter Creator Tops Fan Poll of Manga Artists With Too Many Breaks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
In my opinion, Kazushi Hagiwara should have been #1. The latest Bastard!! volume came out 5 years ago, and every single page in it was reworked from doujinshi he had self-published many years before, which means he hasn't produced any truly new material for 8 years now.

I think Togashi is only #1 because HxH happens to be much more popular than any other manga on the list, but he at least managed to complete 4 volumes over the past 5 years.

Came here to say the same, he is the true king of hiatus in manga.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
I really expected to see CLAMP take second place, yet they are nowhere to be found. They keep putting projects on hold because they come up with something new, so while they are producing stuff, I would like them to just finish things off every once in a while.

Those four need better time management.

Also, I didn't know Daisuke Ashihara's (World Trigger) condition was that serious. I hope he is able to keep doing what he loves as long as possible. Health always comes first.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I'm surprised Clamp isn't on the list.

They have so many series on hiatus, fans probably couldn't decide on just one.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Surprised Oda isn't on that list at all. Sure he only takes 1 break a month but he's consistent with it xD

Yeah, but you can't compare Oda with those on the list. His breaks are necessary and at least he doesn't take a break for months. There may or may not some authors who would really need a break.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
As has been stated, many of these authors have health problems. But then you have authors like Azuma(Yotsuba&!) and Hiroe(Black Lagoon) who truly just do whatever they want. Azuma and Hiroe are on Twitter; and in Hiroe's case he tweets every day! Hiroe's even working on an anime concurrently with Black Lagoon.
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Shinuki wrote:

Seriously, you just call someone that actually has health problems a "chronic liar" when you're not even do your research and not even read the manga! doesn't matter if is your "opinion", your comment was just really ignorant, think before open your mouth or before use your keyboard lol

I think people would be a bit more sympathetic if he'd at least hire some assistants.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Shinuki wrote:

Seriously, you just call someone that actually has health problems a "chronic liar" when you're not even do your research and not even read the manga! doesn't matter if is your "opinion", your comment was just really ignorant, think before open your mouth or before use your keyboard lol

I think people would be a bit more sympathetic if he'd at least hire some assistants.

He does though. He confirms it in the KishimotoxTogashi interview a few months back.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Togashi finished YuYu Hakusho rather quickly. 19 volumes in four years is actually very prolific.
It looks like the first 10 to 20 volumes of Hunter x Hunter were also released rather quickly and it was only after that that he started to slow down.

Maybe he really did develop a medical problem about 12 years ago.

Not that it matters but I have never read Hunter x Hunter. I should try it because I really liked the YuYu Hakusho manga and anime.

Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited by Touma on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Beansprout Midget wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
When will Hoshino end the searçh for AW arc?

If the last chapter said anything (it didn't really because it was 7 pages Confused ) the title didn't actually say 'Searching for AW'. It said 'Visitng AW - Call 1'. Does that mean new arc? I hope so.

Overall not surprised Togashi is up here, and while it doesn't surprise me, it still crushes my heart seeing how D.Gray-man is #3.

Although, in return it made me laugh to see Masami Kurumada (for Saint Seiya Next Dimension) and Yoshiki Takaya (for one of my favorites, Guyver) on there. Glad to see the fans are still around, and I'm not the only Guyver fan in this world.

New volumes of Guyver actually chart on the best seller list which surprises me when ever they show up as it's 32nd birthday is in less than a month.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Surprised Oda isn't on that list at all. Sure he only takes 1 break a month but he's consistent with it xD

well thats probably because so much happens in just one chapter of one piece.

3 of his chapters a month is easily more content than 4 of other mangas.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
ETX wrote:

well thats probably because so much happens in just one chapter of one piece.

3 of his chapters a month is easily more content than 4 of other mangas.

Another deal is that Oda takes a large quantity of breaks, but they're always one week except on special occasions and holidays. They're also at regular intervals, so people who follow One Piece closely will know they're coming and know the series will be back the week after that.
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Reading HxH already tells you he's justified in taking these breaks. Every arc is written with so much planning and elaborate detail, it needs the time for thinking that Togashi does every hiatus.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Berserk and Bastard!! should be way higher. Honestly, I thought Bastard!! was just cancelled or something, but yeah, HunterXHunter for #1 on this list for sure. Too much Idolm@ster I guess.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
One of, IMO, most overrated Mangaka in the world. Constant breaks, clearly has no desire to continue working. He continues to claim "Back Problems." yet provides no evidence, has a self proclaimed "Addiction" to Dragon's Quest and clearly thinks of himself before the fans.

If he truly wanted HXH to succeed he'd be the writer and let someone else be the artist. He is clearly content to sit on his money and only show up once every few years when he needs to remind people he's not a complete slacker. At least some Manga with long breaks were cause the artist still wanted to do other things (Berserk) or had a clear and noted condition (Ballroom). Yet Togashi continues to slid by on "Back Problems so bad he can't sit?" I'm sorry how does someone take years off and only get about 10 chapters of backlog, it's insulting to the readers who enjoy his work.

IDK maybe he really is so sickly he can't drawn, BUT THEN HE NEEDS TO SAY THAT and stop straining people along. I don't even read HXH but it pisses me off that people call this guy one of the greatest when he clearly does as little work as possible and keeps the fans in a perpetual state of limbo. Oda has health struggles but he takes breaks every so many weeks, why can't Togashi do this, or go monthly like Araki did, or do something to get chapters out on a consistent basis.

Again this is just my opinion but this guy is a a chronic Liar who has scammed people for years and people who continue to allow him to make excuses are only perpetuating the problem.

My two parents have back issues so I know first hand how much it can break a person. But some days are better then others.

I think the last batch of chapters proved what people suspected. Togashi PLANS A LOT. The last batch of chapters was a battle we never thought we'd see and he freaking knocked it out of the park. Quality over quantity is definitely the case with his work. On his hiatus he plans the next arcs, character development, I wouldn't be surprised if he reads his old chapters and finds plot points he can expand on.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Next Dimemsion's main problem is that Kuru wants to color every single page

Honestly, Kurumada's inclusion is kind of cheating, because it's not like he doesn't draw any manga while ND is on hiatus. When he's not doing ND, he's usually doing something else, like more Otoko Zaka or (in the case of 2014-2015) his other 40th Anniversary work, like the Raimei no Zaji Special Chapter or Indigo Period.

This is unlike people like Togashi or Hagiawara, who literally don't draw anything at all (at least, to our knowledge).

Agreed. Typically ND does a volumes worth of chapters, then goes off for half a year, then another volume.

The 2014-2015 period was a long hiatus, but Kurumada was celebrating his anniversary by going back to other work. You can't fault a guy for wanting to enjoy his 40th anniversary by doing something different.

I wonder how much of the delays are due to coloring and how much are due to his hand injury. I have to imagine that slowed him down at his age.

Either way, I don't regret the delays if they come from either. Can't fault a guy his age for an injury, and I like the full color chapters:

The man knows how to make something look amazing in color (the coloring in the volumes tends to look even better than the digital chapter coloring).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4