• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Gets New TV Anime in 2018, 35th Anniversary Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
I already lost hope in the Macross franchise and Delta just further reassured my belief that it'll only be degraded even further. No new Macross show can match up to Plus, let alone the OG Super Dimension Fortress series (which I recommend every mecha fan to watch). At least Gundam recently had a half decent new show (IBO) while still being graced by Thunderbolt and The Origin. Macross doesn't even have new saving graces like that. To hell with this franchise, Kawamori ruined it to the point of no redemption. It'll function as a cash cow, that's one thing Delta did right.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Surprised to see so much dislike for Delta, what little i've seen seem's very palatable and pleasant.

But then again, i'm quite the Macross novice, so i'll take this series as an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.

That's the keyword. The cast was just too large to get proper development, ending up with nonexistent love triangle, even though the show acknowledges that there is a love triangle. Mirage was one of the most wasted characters in the franchise, and it hurts knowing she's Max and Miria's granddaughter.

Here's hoping the next installment balances the love, action and idols a bit better than Delta, where they just upped the camp to the max, having idols play espionage and infiltrate enemy planets. Leave war to the pilots and music to idols, even Frontier knew how to balance.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't have nearly the disdain towards "Delta" that others clearly do (even with its second half, I'd take it over "Lovers Again" or "Dynamite 7"), but it was definitely the weakest "Macross" in quite a while. If this new series is a continuation and not a new cast/setting, then hopefully it can build on what worked the first time and fix whatever went wrong.

I also kind of hope this short turn-around between series isn't the status quo going forward. I actually kind of like how infrequent "Macross" titles usually are because it makes each one feel like a bigger deal; it would be kind of lame if we knew to expect one every 2-3 years.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Marzan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
The Macross franchise was driven into the ground a while ago. Zero was garbage, Frontier was "meh", and Delta was unspeakable. Kawamori has learned nothing. Either bring in somebody really good to write/direct beside/with him, or don't bother with more.

We need another Plus. Not a sequel, another one. Something that makes you stand up and cheer for its magnificence like Plus did.

Don't think we'll ever get anything as well crafted as Plus on our life time. A show like that will not sell well in Japan.

Totally agree with you on Kawamori though. It'd be great to have a new mind developing a story in that universe

Why not taking the Gundam route and make Macross based parallels Univers. If All the Macross we had from 1982 until now are in the same Universe mirroring the Universal Century why not develloped alternate Universe using the same idea as Gundam.

Imagine a Macross A la G-Gundam. Laughing

Well, there really isn't anything stopping that. Kawamori has a very loose definition of Macross canon in which almost everything is considered a "series or show within the Macross universe" so as long as he keeps the 3 pillars (love triangle, Valkyries and music) he could take it wherever he wants.

I think the problem is not so much the universe as much as Kawamori not being the creative force he once was. When was the last time he did something that was top notch?
zerkaio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't want be like everyone and kick a dog while it is down but Delta was bad. It's seem good to people who jump on the bandwagon or those who always wanted the younger girl to win the triangle but what about the older fan base. It never felt like i was watching Macross at all. He drop the ball twice now with Aquarion logos and Delta, but i hope he learn from it and make Macrossgreatagain in 2018.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:

That's the keyword. The cast was just too large to get proper development, ending up with nonexistent love triangle, even though the show acknowledges that there is a love triangle. Mirage was one of the most wasted characters in the franchise, and it hurts knowing she's Max and Miria's granddaughter.

No kidding. I would have thought the 2nd half would be an excellent opportunity to develop Mirage, but the entirety of the 2nd half was botched. Was it true that Delta was originally supposed to be 13 episodes and then end it with a movie?

ZetaZaku wrote:
Here's hoping the next installment balances the love, action and idols a bit better than Delta, where they just upped the camp to the max, having idols play espionage and infiltrate enemy planets. Leave war to the pilots and music to idols, even Frontier knew how to balance.

Aww, I actually liked the idols doing some badass background stuff especially if it helped the pilots. It reminded me of the cheesy goodness of AKB0048. Hell, give me more idol hacking scenes!
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Macross franchise was driven into the ground a while ago. Zero was garbage, Frontier was "meh", and Delta was unspeakable. Kawamori has learned nothing. Either bring in somebody really good to write/direct beside/with him, or don't bother with more.

We need another Plus. Not a sequel, another one. Something that makes you stand up and cheer for its magnificence like Plus did.

I miss the older Macross series where the love triangles and plot as well as action mattered. The newer series tosses all that out the window and pretty much the franchise is just like many other mecha franchises I know that one or two stupid mistakes killed them and they are just hanging around so they can milk them for a dollar or two.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Remember everyone, Even number Macross is the good Macross.

Personally I'm hoping for Macross the First Adaption. Or maybe, just maybe, we'll finally find out what happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay
NeverLand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well since Delta sales are very good although the anime itself aren't as good as Frontier (even slightly more than recent (declining or dying franchise) Gundam series, IBO), I think Macross franchise has more chance to rise up again as a Mecha Anime lead.

But Shoji Kawamori should learn from his mistakes though.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I wish i understood the thinking behind Delta.

Was it to sell music to make profit? Focusing on what's popular vs what sells?

Delta was not much of a Macross story, but story that had Macross universe behind it.
It felt very disconnected from what previous series.

I will admit i am hard science fiction fan, i like good space soap opera.

I did not find myself excited watching Delta. As mecha fight scenes were infact boring with couple exceptions. Main lead was not that interesting. Love triangle didn't seem to me be as good as it could have been. Freja was not that likeable other than she doesn't have long to live and was nice person.

I thought if they had focused on bigger story (Windmere crusade to destroy the UN SPACY) and had the music/drama in background perhaps little bit be more interesting.

The original story of Macross was not always focus on the love story, its there, its important but it grew in back ground while not forcing it on people.

Part me feels Delta was more showcased sell music than tell a decent story, or at least need to PUSH the music to sell to make a profit to keep entire Macross Franchise alive.

Macross Frontier was better series, i didn't care how cgi was handled in it (especially in space it just was hard see at times.)

I don't honestly believe they have it in them to make a good series. A good author needs come up with strong story before you can flesh it out into anime. Given how weak the anime market is in Japan for scifi, i just don't know can do it.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
If you just watch the first cour, its pretty good. The 2nd half was pretty bad.

I was really hoping we'd get movie versions for Delta where they go and fix everything like they did with Frontier. I like the Frontier movies, much more than the TV Anime.

Too much of Delta is canon-breaking bull. I need the movies to correct this before we go running off to a new TV franchise.

Mostly Delta was wasted Potential. Remember when they kept blabbing about Dancing in the early episodes? Well if one side has Culture/Music, and they're fighting against another with Culture/Music, that upsets the usual Macross paradigm! They showed at the end of the Frontier movie that Dance might make it into the setting in a way that matters. They totally set up Delta for it. Instead MIND CONTROL. Why does everything always have to be MIND CONTROL?

Also no more Ace Pilots, please. Hikaru was shot down at least 3 times in the original and was nowhere near the best pilot. You knew Delta was going to have problems when the only enemies to fight were the same group of Super Pilots. Even then, when their own Ace leaves, the good guys just shrug and fight against the Super Pilots without even considering a replacement for their best fighter. THAT'S NOT HOW WAR WORKS. These enemy Super Pilots can wipe out an entire fleet with no problems, but heck, those rascally newbies, can't get them shot down.

Delta had some really nice potential, and they had plenty of time to do something with it. But they didn't, and actively worked against their own setup.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 am Reply with quote
People shouldn’t get too caught up in Delta messing up previous Macross canon. Kawamori doesn’t care too much about canon anyways and he brushes any questions about it off with a ”it’s story within a story” explanation.

As much as I’d prefer a non-Delta story (the Knights were the most boring and cringe worthy antagonists ever), I think that 2018 might indicate that they still want to milk ’Walkure’ instead of coming up with new concepts and a new music act.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
and,of course,we won't see it here as long as Harmony Gold is alive and breathing...

I do not like this. With this legal situation barring other companies from legally getting more "Macross" series, I could see that as a justification for a fan sub (like that argument would hold up in our courts).
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm personally in the camp that prefers the OVAs such as Macross Plus and Macross Zero.

Hopefully we'll get something new along those lines.

Given the Harmony Gold legal problems, do the Japanese releases include good English Subs? I wouldn't mind importing Region 1 Blu rays.
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I'm personally in the camp that prefers the OVAs such as Macross Plus and Macross Zero.

Hopefully we'll get something new along those lines.

Given the Harmony Gold legal problems, do the Japanese releases include good English Subs? I wouldn't mind importing Region 1 Blu rays.

Delta has very good English subs done as far as I understand by Gwynn Campbell and a small group of native English speaking Macross fans.

Macross Plus can also be got with English subs but they're so so.

As far as I can remember the Frontier films Shudista release have English subs too. They're ok.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4