• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia 2nd Season's 1st Episode Will Recap 1st Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
So Season 2 does begin in April after all. The late March release is for the folks with bad memory.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
And yet "Blue Exorcist" just dives right into the Impure King Arc assuming you watched the old series six years ago.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
this was basically season one of my hero
boy has no super powers
boy meets idol
boy works out
boy gets power
boy take test
boy pass through a really stupid loop hole
boy meets class
boy meets home room teacher (best character)
boy fights childhood bully and lost (that would be bad if the main character wasn't such a waste of space)
boy goes on field trip
villains show up
class fight back
all might shows up saves the day
all this happened with the series trying to make stupid tasks as if they were epic with nice animation
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
What a worthless episode, waste of a perfectly good week. This recap is totally pointless and a waste of money on top of that.

Animeking1108 wrote:
And yet "Blue Exorcist" just dives right into the Impure King Arc assuming you watched the old series six years ago.

What's wrong with that? Its a continuation of the story so the only people watching it are the ones who saw the old series.
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
LMFAO seriously? It's the 2nd season of the series, of course they f*cking expect you to have watched the 1st season.. F*cking facepalm.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
jaykayjk10 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
LMFAO seriously? It's the 2nd season of the series, of course they f*cking expect you to have watched the 1st season.. F*cking facepalm.

I love the way Blue Exorcist is handling its second season, but I don't think that's a very fair response. Blue exorcist did not just expect you to remember the first season. It expects you to know at what point the original became filler, remember only exactly what happened up to that point and throw the rest out the window. The second season also opened with problems going on between the cast that had been at least somewhat worked out in season 1.

The approach is the exact same as Black Butler Book of Circus, which is great for fans of the source material, like myself, but it is fair to be somewhat confused, even for a fan. Even using a show like Fullmetal Alchemist as an example, if you're a fan of both anime and the manga, it can be very easy to get to the point of actively have to think to remember how things work and differ between adaptations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:
boy has no super powers
boy meets idol
boy works out
boy gets power
boy take test
boy meets class
boy fights childhood bully and lost (that would be bad if the main character wasn't such a waste of space)
boy goes on field trip
villains show up
class fight back
all this happened with the series trying to make stupid tasks as if they were epic with nice animation

That's a decent summary, but it doesn't capture the pure joy in every episode and the fantastic side characters that really made it fun to watch (I'll take your suggestion of homeroom teacher as best character and raise you frog girl as bestest character!)
Too bad they're wasting an ep on recap--it's not like the first season ended on an anime original arc and expects the audience to follow the manga (*cough* Blue Exorcist should have found some way to untangle its plot points for anime-only fans).
I wonder if they'll number the recap ep as "0" and if it will impact the overall episode count.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
They're not "wasting" an episode on recap. This episode is going to air a week before most anime premiere, so it doesn't mean that they made the season shorter because they didn't make enough episodes and the production team is trying to stall for time, since the anime is going to actually have the first episode at a regular date, in fact, it's one of the earliest (April 1st).

In fact, this episode will even have added scenes, unnecesarily so for a recap, so I'm fine with this.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Since it's been a year between seasons, they are airing a recap with added scenes a week early to catch people (old fans and new) up to speed and generate hype for the upcoming season.

Seems perfectly reasonable and a smart move in general. Looking forward to it!
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
You know it's funny, I watch my fair share of anime year round but Boku no Hero was SO highly anticipated last year and delievered in fantastic fashion that it's only right a big fan such as myself couldn't possibly forget S1. So even though I'm fine with the recap, whether it's necessary is just another conversation or formality if you will.

Speaks to how great S1 was. I'm saying I don't think a lot of people could forget it. This must be purely for the sake of newcomers. Again this is coming from a big fan and weekly manga reader.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

That's how I prefer it, honestly. Going from [x] episode of one season to [y] of another flows better imo. This recap probably just exists to save the animators time to get episodes 2-8 ready for airing.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:
boy has no super powers
boy meets idol
boy works out
boy gets power
boy take test
boy meets class
boy goes on field trip
villains show up
class fight back

That's a decent summary, but it doesn't capture the pure joy in every episode and the fantastic side characters that really made it fun to watch (I'll take your suggestion of homeroom teacher as best character and raise you frog girl as bestest character!)
Too bad they're wasting an ep on recap--it's not like the first season ended on an anime original arc and expects the audience to follow the manga (*cough* Blue Exorcist should have found some way to untangle its plot points for anime-only fans).
I wonder if they'll number the recap ep as "0" and if it will impact the overall episode count.

ok yeah the frog girl is the best
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
Well, that sucks...
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki"[quote="Animeking1108 wrote:

What's wrong with that? Its a continuation of the story so the only people watching it are the ones who saw the old series.[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it, but MHA only aired last year, where as BE aired six years ago. Well, at least it's not like "Hunter x Hunter," where it had a recap every ten episodes.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Nothing wrong with it, but MHA only aired last year, where as BE aired six years ago. Well, at least it's not like "Hunter x Hunter," where it had a recap every ten episodes.

Hunter x Hunter had only two recap episodes, episode 13 and episode 26, it did not have any afterwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2