• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime References in American Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Am I crazy or is Saga of Tanya the Evil missing from the poll?

Fixed, sorry about that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Some of us are still watching more than 5 shows...

They did the same thing last time...

If there is going to continue to be a limit of 5 choices, get a better poll question. For example, 'what are your 5 favorites this season?' If the actual intent is to see what people are still watching, this poll is crap. If you wanted to know peoples 5 favorites, this poll is crap.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly shocked that the anime cosplay in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror didn't make the list.
It should have been number one.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
No mention of The Simpsons? They even did a tribute to Studio Ghibli once.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It is quite fun to catch these references and shoutouts in U.S. shows.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved the Evangelion homage in Regular Show.

I personally thought the Princess Kenny scene/subplot in a recent South Park season (the one where they were parodying Game of Thrones) was better than Good Times with Weapons.

I loved Gravity Falls' "Soos and the Real Girl" dating sim parody episode, which had a hidden cryptogram Sailor Moon reference in the credits. There's even an allusion to tentacles...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
How about five anime references all at once?

ExplorerOfDubs wrote:
Very nice Very Happy. Since they mention Codename KND, here's a fun fact: the episode "Operation: A.R.C.H.I.V.E." is a parody of the Second Renaissance from the Animatrix.

For anyone interested here's a page that lists a bunch of these shout outs:): http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/WesternAnimation (Also if you want to be more specific: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CulturalCrossReference)

Yeah, you can be quite surprised what Kids Next Door would reference. "Operation: F.O.O.D.F.I.T.E." was a series of parodies of GWAR songs and their music videos. It was one of those shows that didn't get the respect it deserved, if you ask me, until long after it ended.

Divineking wrote:
One other interesting anime reference from Codename KND was the episode Operation C.A.R.A.M.E.L, which was pretty much a direct reference to the manga/Brotherhood storyline of Fullmetal Alchemist, and somehow managed to roughly predict it's ending before it even came out Laughing

For some reason, that doesn't ring a bell. Must've been one of the episodes I missed. If that's so, that should belong on the list, as unlike Ash, Fullmetal Alchemist is not something that's penetrated the mainstream and would've likely been lost on the majority of its viewers. Even more so as Kids Next Door aired after the 2003 series but before Brotherhood, meaning someone on the team was specifically following the manga.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Glad to see a majority believe as I do that Kubo and the Two Strings deserves acclaim. Also, Saga of Tanya is conspicuously missing. I think it is one of the better shows this season.

Yeah, Kubo and the Two Strings was superb. I do hope it gets the win (but I doubt it), as this was by far the most expensive, ambitious, and passionate project Laika has ever done, and it bombed.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Both South Park and Totoro had already been mentioned independently, but I mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQg-_gmGOIw
http://southpark.cc.com/clips/360459/turning-dreams-into-nightmares
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
st_owly wrote:
Some of us are still watching more than 5 shows...

They did the same thing last time...

If there is going to continue to be a limit of 5 choices, get a better poll question. For example, 'what are your 5 favorites this season?'

Yeah, I always get a little frustrated by the limit. The name should really be changed to "top 5 of the season so far".

killjoy_the wrote:
I like how halfway through the list it stops being Reference (Show) and becomes Show (Reference)

Also thought that was funny. Laughing
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
I'm honestly shocked that the anime cosplay in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror didn't make the list.
It should have been number one.

The Simpsons Miyazaki tribute (https://youtu.be/R94Q6NhuS3A) and the Japanese TV couch gag (https://youtu.be/T5vuzfdmsDo) also escaped mention...
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually watching 6 shows but since LWA isn't available legally it's technically 5. Which begs the question as to why LWA is even on the list.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Gravity Falls is conspicuous in its absence from this list. Alex Hirsch has pretty much come out and said "If you think you just saw an anime reference, you probably did." Was a terrible shame it only got two seasons, but he got to tell the story he wanted to, so I can be OK with that.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I'm actually watching 6 shows but since LWA isn't available legally it's technically 5. Which begs the question as to why LWA is even on the list.

Pretty sure it must be available legally in some other countries even if it isn't in the U.S. No reason to shun those viewers - plus, even knowing how many people are resorting to pirating the show because of the licenser's tactics in releasing the show would also be good data.
Honey_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch any of these shows. Neutral
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't vote in last week's poll because I only saw Kubo & The Two Strings from the nominations, and there was something about the movie that really bugged me--specifically, it's strange but repeated association between blindness and evil. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but that and it's rushed/underdeveloped plot elements bothered me too much. It had a really great cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" sung by Regina Spektor with shamisen music https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8hUOKjy-9-o

This week's list could have been much, much longer. It doesn't mention various cartoons inspired by anime, such as Teen Titans (remember, with PuffyAmi Yumi singing the theme song--who had their own, brief, show on Cartoon Network?). Actually, there are tons more American cartoons that reference anime. Some we'd like to forget (Kappa Mikey, Drawn Together), some few remember, but not for lack of quality (Sym-Bionic Titan), and some considered modern classics (Avatar: The Last Bender, Legend of Korra, the recent Star Vs. The Forces of Evil and the new Voltron). I'd argue that even the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had, if not anime, tons of Japanese culture & martial arts movie reference that it incorporated anime references as well in later incarnations.

New poll: I'm only watching around 5 shows, with some holdouts from last season. Why aren't any shows that started last season and conclude this season on the list?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4